Author Topic: George Turnbull Gustard  (Read 490 times)

Offline Braban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Turnbull Gustard
« on: Sunday 16 May 21 11:22 BST (UK) »
This is a very old scan and unfortunately I do not have the original. It is of my Gt Uncle George Turnbull Gustard (1906-1967). I have been told that it may have been taken when he was serving in Iraq, but I don't know. It is in very poor condition and I don't know if much can be done to repair it. I am just posting in the hope that it is possible. Thank you if anyone attempts it.

By all accounts he was a bit of a rogue and was literally forced at gunpoint by the brothers of the girl he had got in the family way to marry her. Later on after his father died and he took on the farm, he gamboled away all of the money and 'took the family to the door'. They lost everything, home and possessions. His mum borrowed money off her brother to repay the debts and she moved from Consett to London to be a housekeeper. She earned enough money to repay the debts with interest. As she began to fail in her old age, George reappeared and she apparently got off the bed and welcomed him like the prodigal son. He had a sister (my gran) but he had always been the favoured child, for example if there was an orange available he would be the one to get it.

Quite a character!
Devon: Chugg, Lerwill, Richards
Durham: Caswell, Charlton, Gustard
Hampshire: Dowdell, Hagg, Ludlow, Joliffe
Northumberland: Dagg, Turnbull
Somerset: Amesbury, Sage

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Turnbull Gustard
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 21 19:41 BST (UK) »
Here's one from me, the colours were already in the scan. He does sound quite a character doesn't he.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 May 21 20:37 BST (UK) »

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 21 04:37 BST (UK) »
Couple of versions from me. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Braban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 May 21 22:06 BST (UK) »
Goodness me! Thank you so much to all that have restored this rather battered photo. They all make him look 100% better. Thank you!!!
Devon: Chugg, Lerwill, Richards
Durham: Caswell, Charlton, Gustard
Hampshire: Dowdell, Hagg, Ludlow, Joliffe
Northumberland: Dagg, Turnbull
Somerset: Amesbury, Sage