Author Topic: Peter Taylor  (Read 496 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Peter Taylor
« on: Sunday 16 May 21 16:02 BST (UK) »
Peter and his brother Henry were born in Ince in Lancashire and were coal miners.  Between 1908 and 1925 they both made trips to Canada and the USA to work as miners.  Henry returned to England permanently in 1925 but Peter had died in1923 and is buried in Marissa , Illinois.  I would like to find out whether Peter had any children in the USA, or anything else about his time in Canada and the USA.  In 1910 he was working at the Roundup Coal Camp School District, Yellowstone and was living with an English family called Highan.  In 1920 he was at Wood River, Madison, Illinois living with an English family called Hall.  I have a photo of his gravestone which I found on the internet.

Any information would be welcome.  Thanks.

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Taylor
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 21 18:02 BST (UK) »
Here is his death record. The 1920 census states he was widowed.

Death Record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NQ3B-FMC

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 May 21 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your quick reply.  Peter was married in England in 1894 and had two children before he left for the USA.  I have not been able to find out when his wife died - I had presumed that the widowed description relates to her, but it could be someone he had married in the States; I wondered whether as he was in the USA for so long he had a second illegitimate family there, or even a bigamous one.

So it remains a mystery!

Honeybun

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 21 11:53 BST (UK) »
The death Index on ancestry
Peter Taylor birth date 14 January 1874
Death 24 April 1923 Wood River Madison Illinois
Has his marital status as single

Found this US World 1 Draft Registration Card 1917-1918
A different birth date 7 January 1874 England
Occupation miner
Address 660 Park Montgomery Illinois
Nearest Relative Richard Taylor England

Rosie

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 May 21 13:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rosie.
This gives me a bit more but it is slightly different to what I have.  There seems to be differing information as to his marital status and makes no mention of his brother Henry as next of kin who is also in the USA working as a miner.  I have no information about Henry's time in the States, except a photo of him in Detroit in 1924 and passenger lists.  He and Peter seem to have worked in different parts of the country.  Anything you find on Henry would be great.  My information from Rootschat on Peter was in 2015 from the 1910 and 1920 USA Census returns and the death information was from Illinois Deaths and Still births database 1916-1947.  I am still looking for his wife and children after he left England in 1908.  They married in 1894 in Wigan and had two children (1897 and 1899).
Honeybun

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 May 21 13:11 BST (UK) »
Rosie
Sorry, forgot to ask -was everyone eligible to be called up in the First War registered even if they were not born in the USA?  Wasn't mining likely to be a reserved occupation?

Honeybun

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 May 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
I think if they were working overseas they were liable to be called up and occupation was recorded on their forms .. Did you find his wife and children with her sister Margaret Ashton ( Riding )on the 1911 census Ince Makerfield..

There is a possible marriage for a Nellie Taylor 1921 Wigan to a William Brindle
Possible death for a Nellie Brindle 31 January 1931
www.findagrave.com

Rosie

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 May 21 15:29 BST (UK) »
Yes I do have the 1911 Census info for Margaret Ashton and family, but didn't research further, as there are so many Taylor families, and so many Marys, it is difficult to establish her connection without doubt.  I haven't found a second marriage for her yet.  Her daughter was called Nellie so this might well be her. 

Thanks
Honeybun

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 15:02 BST (UK) »
was everyone eligible to be called up in the First War registered even if they were not born in the USA? 

All men of a certain age in the US had to register for the WWI draft.  This shows the questions on the various draft cards - https://www.archives.gov/files/research/military/ww1/draft-registration/selective-service-cards.pdf  - and they ask whether or not they are citizens.