Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 16th May  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 16th May
« on: Monday 17 May 21 07:25 BST (UK) »
Nothing worth reporting really for Sunday. 
A very wet and windy day here again. As fast as we thought to put on shoes and go for a walk another heavy shower appeared. Eventually we went anyway, and trudged through wet back streets to Oldway Mansion, via Victoria Park, where the ponds were overflowing and no life forms were in evidence.
At the mansion, a small child had been lifted over the dividing hedge to rampage through the perennial border, which is lovingly tended by a fleet of dedicated volunteers, but the good news was the duck pond, that had been emptied for repairs to the liner, has  filled once again, but no obvious life form in there either.
I am astonished just how much rain we must have had in the last week or so, though I expect the farmers are still saying it has been too little, too late.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 16th May
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 May 21 08:40 BST (UK) »
You do seem to be having some dreadful weather MH, we've had quite a lot of rain but you've had such a lot more. Hope you get some sunshine soon. As for the people who are so careless of all the hard work that's been done, grrr!  >:(

My Sunday:

Felt like I'd just been doing bits of things all day. It was a wet morning and although it was clearing out later I didn't want to get my newly washed hair wet so I postponed my walk until after lunch. Had another reshuffle of art materials, I had a couple of plastic storage baskets in the garage, gave one of them a good wash and transferred things into it that I use for acrylic painting after checking it would fit in the cupboard. I used the smaller basket that I'd emptied for watercolour bits and pieces. It'll make things easier to find and I won't be setting off an avalanche by removing things from a pile.

Went for my walk after lunch, it had cleared out by then. There were several people on the field but the woods were deserted.
Returned home and did a bit more of my portrait. Was reading for a while then did some gardening. The narcissi in one of the pots had died off, they've been lovely. Removed the plants as they were and put them in a trough at the bottom of the garden to die back. The soil was very wet from the rain, didn't want to walk on it so the weeding will have to wait for another day.
Did some ironing, had some curry from the freezer for tea. Watched the last episode of Too Close, rather disturbing. I can't remember it from the book, perhaps I'd given up half way through.

No sign of Caroline for a few days, I guess she's busy with her new cousins and of course preparing for the curtain making trip,  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
Very strange weather round my way on Sunday. Random bangs of thunder but no obvious lightning.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
Well spent a lot of the day either crying or fighting hard not to cry in front of the kids.

Then spent the evening anxious that I was going to get a knock at the door after effectively telling off another child.  For context said child is not allowed to be told no and no boundaries are allowed as it "is cruel and stifles her creativity".  So child 1 came to the door and asked if my younger daughter was coming out to play so off they went and were playing between the 2 gardens and the small park along from our house.  Then child 2 turned up and was playing too.  So got to dinner time and I sent my older daughter out to find her sister to come in. Then she knocked at the door and was just with child 2 as child one had already gone in.  So I said "i sent your sister to find you as it's time to come in".  My daughter said "oh I heard her calling me but she told me to ignore her".  then child 2 said "why does she have to come in"  I said "it's time for dinner and then she needs her shower, you have school in the morning".  Child 2 in authoritarian tone said "..... isn't hungry, I'll tell her when she's hungry and you can cook when i tell you to, and I don't want her to have a shower".  I said "I'm the adult in the house, dinner is served when i have it ready and it'snot up to you if she has a shower".  She then asked if she was coming back out after dinner.  I said "no, it's a school night" and she said "Yes she is, I'll just come in and wait" and tried to barge past me at which point I said "no, leave now!" and closed the door on her.  So I was anxious as I know her dad will be furious at me for saying and doing this and will regard it as abusive s worried about confrontation or worse he reports me.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 May 21 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

Sunny here currently, but earlier heavy showers and the colour of the clouds now, looks like more possible showers.

No walk today now, my Granddaughter's close school friend has been confirmed with Covid-19 and also those in close contact also sent home. I hope all affected recover quickly.

The school is in one of the two town Wards which has the new Covid Variant a few days ago, it is cropping up in other places, despite zero cases in our hospital a few weeks back. Some European countries are reporting the B.1.617 strain etc., too.

The organiser of one UK event had to refund 10% of Ticket holders, as they failed a Covid test before the event, he claimed on TV recently.

So PharmaT your comment the other day about the continuance of mask wearing and staying safe  :) is not daft at all! You also have every right to deny other children access to your house and keep your own child / children in for tea and safely in during evenings if and when required ... I'd call that very responsible parenting! So stop beating yourself.

I've recently purchased 6 Boxes (300), I was the first wearer round here in shops / inside (1 month before they became Law in shops, etc). I already had a bad run in with a pre-Covid Influenza virus. Some Ambulance crews won't come in, nor the Doc (our Doc's still virtually impossible to get through by 'phone anyway), unless a mask is worn and I don't blame them in the slightest.

Looks like a rain storm brewing now  :o gone vey dull  8)

Keep well and take care all, Mark  :)  :D  ;)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 May 21 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

So PharmaT your comment the other day about the continuance of mask wearing and staying safe  :) is not daft at all! You also have every right to deny other children access to your house and keep your own child / children in for tea and safely in during evenings if and when required ... I'd call that very responsible parenting! So stop beating yourself.

on this occasion i was more worried about abuse from the child's father,  or him making a report against me as he does not allow anyone to say no to his child. As far as he is concerned she must be allowed to do what she wants when she wants.  For example at the school Christmas fair in 2019 she was running at me, jumping on me and climbing on me.  I said "please don't climb on me, it hurts" and he got mad at me for restricting her freedom.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 May 21 16:53 BST (UK) »
As Mark says, that's responsible parenting PharmaT. The phrase that springs to mind about this child is something my grandfather used to say - "Cheeky little whipersnapper!" My own mther would have asked the child who on earth they thought they were talking to, she would have sent them off with a flea in their ear.
The father has nothing to report you for, you were looking after your own child's interests and you certainly don't need to justify yourself to the other child, or to her father.

Gone dull here too Mark.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 May 21 16:58 BST (UK) »
Oh dear Pharma T, dealing with other parents is one of the most stressful parts of parenting I find.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 May 21 21:32 BST (UK) »
Well Pharma, he will regret that, no boundaries or standards now and what a horrible teenager he will have on his hands.
A child without boundaries and parameters is most unhappy and insecure .
They show it in bad behaviour .Almost begging for some limits as that at least shows  their parents are interested .
Think how happy yours are and will be by comparison .

Well had a phone call with my Dr .today and an XRay to be arranged by me about my aching hip joint which is quite unstable .
So a quiet day really.
Daughter called as usual this evening ,Flash Harry’s pear trees are not budding so the garden company asked for photographs .
I am hoping there is a refund.

Eye Clinic in Thursday , my chauffeur son is unwell so a taxi and then a wheelchair as it is a good walk to the Eye department from the entrance.
Oooh, I will feel silly but I really can’t walk far .

Good job there is no puppy as yet at least.
Told you everything has a reason .

Second son and wife were negative with the home tests but must go to Newmarket for blood tests.
Sorry if I have told you that  already.

Very annoyed ,had to throw away a full pizza, had not realised  and  did not see it was frozen ,and to be cooked from frozen ,so in the bin as it had probably been thawed a couple of days .
Must get an eye test,can ask on Thursday .

Positive news , some Lily of the valley coming up in a plant pot where a cutting from a flowering currant has rooted.
So with the rooted clump from M&S my son and daughter in law got me for
Mothering Sunday I could be over run !
How positively lovely.

Such rain , don’t know when the bulbs will dry out ,

Must phone a friend in a bit, recently had an op for bowel cancer and had it before many years ago but this time a non reversible stoma .
Hubby now in a care home with advanced dementia.
Some do have it rough don’t they.

I love to read about your walks etc and activities .
Thanks for all your news .
Cheerio and look after yourselves.
Viktoria.