Author Topic: Thomas Williams - Newcastle Emlyn  (Read 674 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas Williams - Newcastle Emlyn
« on: Monday 17 May 21 09:08 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a Thomas Williams, born in Newcastle Emlyn around 1834. His father’s name was John on the marriage certificate and a labourer. I found this baptism in 1833. It seems to say; ‘dan allt yr fechan St. Peter’, which I believe translates to ‘under the small wood/hill’. Other baptisms look like Trefechan St. Peter. Abernant is also mentioned on the same page. Although the district of Newcastle Emlyn spans three counties, I have found Abernant in Carmarthenshire. Can anyone help regarding the place name, location and translation, also anything else about this family?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Williams - Newcastle Emlyn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 May 21 10:14 BST (UK) »
There's a baptism for an Anna Williams, Apr 6 1831, to " ... John Williams, ___? laborer and Margaret his wife St Peter ...".
The Chapel is Bwlchnewydd, Abernant (as for Thomas).

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 21 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I have seen that Bwlchnewydd, Abernant baptism before, but not the original. As this has 'dan allt yr fechan', I though it might be something different. Is my translation accurate, and were they living in a wood? It does not seem the name of a house. Thomas was my g-g-grandfather, who I have found from his marriage onwards, and with census records he was born in Newcastle Emlyn. On the marriage certificate, his father John was a labourer. Anna I was not aware of, so I will try to find her regarding census records and marriage. She may confirm, or rule out this Thomas.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 21 19:30 BST (UK) »
To me "St Peter" was the Carmarthen parish. Did you check -

1841 Census - ref HO107  1387  41 5

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 May 21 19:58 BST (UK) »
On the previous Census page are Park Glas (ie. Parc Glas), FFynon Drain Mill (ie. Ffynon Ddrain Mill) and Castle Howell (ie. Castell Hywel) - north west of Carmarthen
Can see see Trefechan fach and fawr in the locale but yet to spot Dan yr allt (or similar).

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 May 21 20:24 BST (UK) »
Found Lime Grove which is also on previous page of Census - also Rhyd y bont and Tre-Vaughan on the next page..

There's a "Llain dan yr allt" just east of Parc Glas

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 May 21 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.
St. Peter, I associated with Carmarthen rather than Newcastle Emlyn. Earlier, the link did not make any sense to me. With Anna, I had a father John, mother Margaret and son Thomas. I looked on the 1841/51 censuses and found them together in St. Peter’s, Carmarthen. That must be the connection to St. Peter. Could St. Peter be the church they were linked to for Poor Relief? There are 2 other sons William 1838 and David 1842. The father was born in Llanstephan opposite Laugharne, which fits with my family. After 15 years searching, this seems to be the break-through. I am now looking for the marriage of John to Margaret and there are several possible marriages for Anna. Then I will look for William and David. I have 3 GRO references for William Williams in Carmarthen with mmn Davies, Richards and Brown, with all possible links to my family. There must also be a link to Abernant, maybe Margaret? It seems she died before 1851, which I also need to find. Still plenty to find, but with your help, at least the branch has started.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 07:59 BST (UK) »
Can you clarify pl?
You begin with a "Thomas Williams, born Newcastle Emlyn about 1834" and have arrived at a "Thomas Williams, age 18, born St Peter" (1851 Census).

What is the source of the "born Newcastle Emlyn" in your opening post?

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 08:41 BST (UK) »
I thought Abernant was close to Newcastle Emlyn, but looking at the map, it is 5 miles from Carmarthen. That cannot be the family as Thomas was clear on census records that he was from Newcastle Emlyn. I will keep looking for places around Newcastle Emlyn.