Author Topic: Nuns & Priests - Redressing The Balance?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nuns & Priests - Redressing The Balance?
« on: Monday 17 May 21 09:18 BST (UK) »
For various reasons my thoughts have turned to the subject of nuns and priests lately.  I add photos to Find A Grave and have been adding memorials found lately, for nuns in particular; I have recently seen a book recommendation from Igorstrav on here 'Best Wishes Sister B' by Fran Smith and I have come across various entries in a burial register where people had died at St Joseph's home in Newcastle - which was a home for the elderly run by nuns.

Historically, nuns and priests seem to have got a bad rap.  My Dad's side were Catholics and I have heard quite a few stories of harshness in times past. I have also heard stories from people who have told of merciless strictness in education and begrudging charity at the hands of nuns and priests and we have all heard of the infamous laundries, etc.

This post is to ask if anyone has any stories out there which might help redress the balance?
Does anyone know of an ancestor who was helped or experienced kindness.  Or might you have a personal story of kindness, without naming someone still living?

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nuns & Priests - Redressing The Balance?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 May 21 11:03 BST (UK) »
Maybe it is still early .. but no forthcoming replies on stories of compassion and kindness? ..  ???

Perhaps I should send this post to the Pope ..  ;) ;D

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 21 11:50 BST (UK) »
Might be due to the fact that those who had any dealings with nuns and priests haven't yet checked your topic.  ???

Hopefully someone will come along and post a glowing report on nuns/priests.  :D

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 21 12:15 BST (UK) »
Let's hope so Girl Guide .. Thanks for the encouragement.  :) Perhaps I should hold off contacting the Pope for a little longer ..  ;)

I attend an Anglican Church .. haven't been back yet as there is a booking system and many people usually attend in normal times.  The last time I attended Church just prior to Lockdown happened to be the Catholic Church of my deceased Grandmother.  Only went to take a photo of a war memorial for a local war group but I was given such a warm welcome I ended up staying for the full service, rather than going on to my usual Church as intended. 
I know some young people who go to a Catholic Church in Newcastle and they are always buzzing about their Church and always speak highly of the priests.  Thankfully, I think things are probably much better than in the past and it is a shame that the good uns get forgotten/overlooked.

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 May 21 13:22 BST (UK) »
My husband is a taxi driver and once picked up two nuns. One was grumbling a bit because she was having to step back from her care work, getting a bit old and tired. "Now, sister," said my hubby, brought up Catholic, "you've been caring for people all your life, now you have to get out of the caring habit." He was mortified when he realised what he'd said, but both laughed out loud.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 May 21 13:33 BST (UK) »
  I read the post, but I am afraid my experience of Catholic priests and nuns is nil!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 May 21 16:36 BST (UK) »
Many years back, to oblige a friend, my very much non-R.C. father fell into the habit (!) of collecting two nuns from a School, and driving them to their convent - it wasn't really out of his way. They all chatted as they went, and he did that once a week for ages.
Coming up to Christmas, when the arrangement was to end, they thanked him, and pressed a parcel into his hands. A lovely thank you not, with blessings, and a delightfully dressed doll for the daughter he had spoken of - Me! I had the doll for years. (Even though I wasn't a "Doll-playing" girl)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 May 21 20:27 BST (UK) »
Historically, nuns and priests seem to have got a bad rap.  My Dad's side were Catholics and I have heard quite a few stories of harshness in times past. I have also heard stories from people who have told of merciless strictness in education and begrudging charity at the hands of nuns and priests and we have all heard of the infamous laundries, etc.

This post is to ask if anyone has any stories out there which might help redress the balance?
Does anyone know of an ancestor who was helped or experienced kindness.  Or might you have a personal story of kindness, without naming someone still living?

There were good and bad. They were human.
Imo some in the past went into the religious life for wrong reasons. Some to fulfil family expectations.  Employment opportunities for women in particular were limited. Some began training too young, before they were old enough to know anything, and persisted, rather than give up and disappoint their families ("a spoiled priest").
There were stern nuns and nice nuns at my secondary school. No physical punishment.
One stern priest and several nice priests at my childhood parish. A previous PP who died before I was born, was beloved by parishioners. One of my aunts called him a saint. My mother never mentioned saintliness, she just told stories about what he did and what he was like and it was obvious she respected and admired him. As a nurse, she called him to dying patients. Only recently I discovered that he'd been an army chaplain in WW1.
I've known some good, dedicated priests since. Living the Gospel not just preaching it. Looking for and finding the good in people, even when it's well-hidden. Seeing and serving Christ in others. Two  had a particular concern for homeless people, some of whom were alcoholics. (One man sometimes slept in the presbytery garage.) They inspired and encouraged members of their congregations. A favourite word of one was "community". Some of those priests may have worn themselves out.
An elderly priest in a rural parish once turned up at the home of one of my relatives with 2 bags of shopping because he thought they might need food supplies.
A young curate visited the first Moslem clergy who settled in our district, to welcome them and invite them to join an ecumenical group.
Historically, priests died during cholera epidemics.
Harsh teachers weren't limited to religious schools.
Cowban

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 00:02 BST (UK) »
LisaB thanks for this story about your husband - it sounds like those nuns certainly had a good sense of humour.

Thanks for reading the post ToTH, I am sure you had posted a story if only you had one.

Aah!  What a lovely story Threlfallyorky, that your Dad's kindness was paid back with the such a thoughtful gesture.  That sounds like a special memory that you will always hold dear.  Thanks for this. 

Thank you to you too Maidenstone for your very thought provoking post.  Very interesting to read and I think your post does 'redress the balance' in showing the caring, compassionate and embracing side.
I also think that some may have entered the religious life for the wrong reasons.  I suspect that the cruel, hard hearted ones that we hear about historically probably fell into this category.  It is a shame that such people weren't spotted  and deterred before they made a full commitment.  I think entering the religious life to please other people or because of a lack of other opportunities is a recipe for creating bitterness in life.  And it is easy to understand how a bitter person might  become hard hearted and uncaring or even cruel. 
I agree that harsh approach in teaching isn't only limited to religious schools.