Author Topic: Marriage Ban or Special Marriage License information  (Read 468 times)

Offline PaulC82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Ban or Special Marriage License information
« on: Monday 17 May 21 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

I’m hoping to find some clarity regarding a marriage ban or special marriage license for marriages in South Africa dating between 1939 and 1943.

-is there a difference between a ban and a special marriage license?
- how would I go about finding information based on the special marriage license   number found off of the marriage certificate with the second spouse?

I have searched through various genealogy sites (all paid access) but have not had much luck.

Paul

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MARRIAGE BAN OR SPECIAL MARRIAGE LICENSE INFORMATION
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 12:33 BST (UK) »
The banns of marriage, commonly known simply as the "banns" or "bans" /ˈbænz/ (from a Middle English word meaning "proclamation", rooted in Frankish and from there to Old French),[1] are the public announcement in a Christian parish church or in the town council of an impending marriage between two specified persons. It is commonly associated with the Catholic Church, the Church of England, and the Church of Sweden, and with other denominations whose traditions are similar. In 1983, the Roman Catholic Church removed the requirement for banns and left it to individual national bishops' conferences to decide whether to continue this practice, but in most Catholic countries the banns are still published.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline PaulC82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MARRIAGE BAN OR SPECIAL MARRIAGE LICENSE INFORMATION
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.