Author Topic: Vow Ferry  (Read 702 times)

Offline T-McCurdy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vow Ferry
« on: Monday 17 May 21 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was hoping if the community could provide me with any information regarding Vow Ferry.

I know of the 1777 map by Taylor & Skinner that notes it’s existence and the accurate location via Ordnance Survey of 1829-41.

I live very close to the crossing point and I can’t seem to find any additional information. Any extracts from books, years in operation etc. would be very welcome.

Tim

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Vow Ferry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 May 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
Tim, I applaud your effort to find out more. the ecatalogue at PRONI Belfast produced two of the five {V-Z } references which are relevant      

{V}PRONI Reference   Date(s)   Title/Description   Digital Record
D1238/191   27 July 1914   Capt. O'Neill. Circular letter. [re the security arrangements for the Bann.
the 2nd battalion is covering Vow Ferry What is this about?      

{Z}MIC6C/4   1177-1838     Dunaghy [Co. Antrim] Several areas covered   
Dunaghy [Co. Antrim]..........
Dundermot [Co. Antrim].........
Duneane [Co. Antrim].............
Dunluce [Co. Antrim]...............
Finvoy [Co. Antrim].
1. [Memoir] by James Boyle, Sep. 1835 (19pp)
Natural Features and Natural History with description of bogs,pp1-6
[II] Modern Topography describes village of Dunloy, gentlemen's seats of Moore Lodge, Cullytrummin, Culmore, The Glebe, and ferry from townland of Vow, pp7-11
[III] Social Economy mentions Scots settlers, habits of the people, and tradition concerning Mary Kerr's island in the river Bann with table of education, pp13-19
2. [Officer's] Statistical Account by Lieut R Alexander, 26 Sep. 1831 (5pp)
Describes topography, farms, hamlet of Dunloy, population and antiquities.
3. [Part of Memoir on] Ancient Topography by J Stokes (6pp + 6App)
Describes the ecclesiastical and pagan sites especially forts.
Drawings
4. [Draft of Memoir] (10pp)
 [Office copy]
Natural Features and Natural History, bogs, woods, pp1-3
[II] Ancient Topography, p.4
[III] Social Economy describes schools, Productive Economy, pp5-8
[IV] Divisions of land pp9-10

IN GRIFFITHS on page 21-22 in Vow townland  Finvoy no mention of a ferry .  The inhabitants of Vow townland are listed including mcCurdy at property  worth looking at them and map
map ref 13a Hugh McCurdy
map ref 13b William McCurdy
map ref 13e William McCurdy
there is another,  in Alexander in Artnagros [if its your family history then they are in the 1901 and 1911 census and in 1834 Tithe Applotment books it was McCurdy, William-Townland : Vow Upper Year: 1834-Finvoy-Antrim see irish genealogy hub
so as you say close by I looked up the map references
The mcurdy homes were to the east of the mill pond belonging to the mill About 300 yards south west of them is a dotted diagonal line across the Bann leading from its roughly from  a few yards north of the the current B&B “Waters Edge”  136 Vow Road, Ballymoney, BT53 7NU
, the line leads to the west side of the Bann historically marked 7B in Tamlaght  but in which parish?  one of the maps shows only rry for ferry. so well done for finding it

The Ferry bit leads me to Author   McCutcheon, W. A. (William Alan)
Title   The industrial archaeology of Northern Ireland / W.A. McCutcheon most recent edition might have information or write to the ulster museum and Ulster folk and transport museum for any old photographs  etc
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vow Ferry
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 09:35 BST (UK) »
Lot's of reference in old newspapers to Vow Ferry. Here's one-
Northern Constitution, 4 July 1885: ... Diumboichean is an elliptical fort, a form which is very rare. It lies near the Vow Ferry, which it seems to commend. This pass over the Bann was of tome importance in olden times.

The Vow Ferry is mentioned in connection with George Church fleeing Agivey Castle and also O'Donnell and the Battle of the Lainey during the 1641 Rebellion but it probably dates back even further.

Also a bit here- https://archive.org/stream/historicalnotice00youn/historicalnotice00youn_djvu.txt
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!