Author Topic: Diary > Monday 17th May  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 17th May
« on: Tuesday 18 May 21 00:09 BST (UK) »
Today I wore proper makeup and proper shoes, pretty much unknown in the last year.  :)  In the morning I went for my mammogram appointment at the mobile unit which was only a short drive away. I made sure I timed it right and I was the only patient there. I realised when the mammographer had set me up on the machine that I'd forgotten to remove my deodorant with the wipes as I'd been told on the way in. She asked if I used a spray deodorant, I said no, it was a rollon, at which she said it didn't matter. I assumed that was because a spray would touch other parts of the skin but she said it's because it contains aluminium which can then give a false reading. I'm not sure that I'd want to be putting aluminium on my skin anyway. It was soon done with, I was home in less than an hour after leaving.

Changed my clothes and went off out for a walk, over the bridge and back across the railway. It was a really pleasant day, warmer than lately. After lunch I drove over to to the M&S simply food shop to collect a parcel, I'd ordered two t-shirts and ten pairs of socks. I've had so many socks going into holes, maybe because I'm walking around the house so much without shoes.
While I was there I bought some nice food items, unfortunately I forgot my favourite hot cross buns. I felt quite safe in the shop but there was one woman with a trolley who seemed to think she was the only shopper, whichever shelf I went to she seemed to be there blocking the way.

After that I decided to venture into the B&M store next door. As soon as I got in there was another woman blocking the aisle, she wasn't wearing a mask but the younger woman who was with her was wearing one. There weren't a lot of people in the shop, I couldn't find what I'd gone in looking for, I had two items in my basket when I approached the checkout area. It's always been badly designed but I thought they would have put a better arrangement in place to facilitate social distancing. Some of the staff there seem to have a couldn't care less attitude, I nearly dumped my basket and left. I was really glad to get out of there, I wished I hadn't gone in there in the first place.

Got home, there was NN out cutting her front lawn, oh joy. Sorted out my purchases then got my garden chair out as the sun was shining and it was quite hot. Had a cup of tea and did some reading, then some gardening. There was rain in the forecast, as predicted the clouds started rolling in. Came indoors  it wasn't much longer before the rain came.
Usual evening after enjoying some M&S chicken kiev.

The local paper is reporting that despite people being able to meet indoors from today, business has been slower than expected. I'm guessing it's because it's a Monday and many people are now back at work. I'll bet it's a different story come the weekend.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 17th May
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 01:19 BST (UK) »
It’s nice to hear that you’ve been out and about Roobarb, despite some aspects of the outing being a bit scary. I’d never heard of B&M (had to Google it), but I really envy you your visit to the M&S food shop.

The weather over there at the moment sounds very unpredictable, but at least you are getting some sunny periods.

It’s been lovely and cool here over the past few days. Highs about 22 and lows around 12. Clear blue skies - typical May weather - a chill in the air, but warm in the sun. I wish it was like this all year round.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 10:19 BST (UK) »
Sounds wonderful Ruskie.... I am SO longing to be able to go over, to visit my son and grandchildren. The youngest will be 6 this year, and April 2018 was SUCH a long time ago! Sigh.... :'(

Well done Roobarb... I had one of those appointments lined up for last week, but it was cancelled due to the building being flooded after so much rain. I have made another appointment for in a couple of weeks, so quite useful to know about the deodorant issue. :) 
[I find sometimes I am visiting shops where the prices are higher, but at least they are taking better precautions, such as sanitiser at entrance AND exit.]
Yesterday was another one of those days. Waiting for heavy showers to clear so H and I could take a walk, but still got a bit damp. The clouds were so low and really black, but luckily a lot of it was dumped at sea.
We were charmed by a tiny blonde moppet in yellow wellies and a matching duck mackintosh stamping in an enormous puddle and chirping "deep" at us.
I sat and read my latest library book while H was tutoring. "Hamnet" by Maggie O'Farrell. I am loving it. For me, one of the most appealing books I have read in quite a while.
I didn't want to do a huge amount during the day as I was looking forward to the whole of the Morris group getting together, for an early evening practise, at an industrial estate car park, but guess what? Yes, cancelled, ostensibly due to the weather, but then a blanket email sent out that another one of the group has BIG problems, and perhaps those forewarned just couldn't feel like dancing in the circumstances. Whatever, by that time we had bright sunshine, so I marched up and down the cliff walk a couple of times.  I am happy to note my Bp is responding really well, so the next time the GP is hounding me I should get a gold star.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 14:14 BST (UK) »
Made beef stroganoff for dinner and served it with rice as the wee one doesn't really like mashed potatoes.  It back fired as she only ate only the rice. 

She wanted to go out to play after dinner but I told her it was too late for a school night. she got upset saying her friend (that girl) said that she would fall out with her if she didn't do what she told her to do.  So we had to have a chat about how proper friends behave.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 14:41 BST (UK) »
By giving   children  guidelines and  rules,  not necessarily strict  they  grow up to be better behaved children and adults,  so  PharmaT  keep  up the   good work helping   your  children grow  up  to  be decent  citizens , do  what  you  think is  right by  them

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
It sounds like your daughter would be better off without that particular friend anyway PharmaT. I hope she absorbed your wise words.

Lovely weather for you Ruskie.  :) I've really missed my treats from M&S in the last year so am pleased that I feel okay to go there now. The only reason I went in B&M was to move on another step and go into a big shop, I chose that one because of its location, outside of the town itself and the only other shop there is the M&S food. Can't say I'm tempted to go shopping anywhere else at the moment, I'll carry on doing it online.

What a shame about the Morris dancing MH, I hope you all manage to get together soon. I see that the book you are reading has really good reviews, will look out for a price drop on Kindle.
The one I've just finished has a title that really annoyed me every time I picked it up - 'Playing nice'. I was continually chuntering in my mind about the demise of the adverb and how an author of all people should know better. However, when I got halfway through it occurred to me that the title was actually appropriate and was perhaps deliberate.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 15:34 BST (UK) »
After a series of the usual boring days (boring for you to hear about anyway) today I had something to look forward to.  Had been invited by my niece and to stay for dinner.

Had a lovely afternoon/early evening with the twins.   Up until this visit I was able to tell which one was which and thought I'd got it sussed.   Darcy's legs thinner.   However, now they've filled out and I got it wrong!!!   So now the 'marker' is that Macy's eyes are bigger although doesn't help if they are both asleep.   Such happy babies.   Darcy still very much a daddy's girl -  if she can see or hear him she's content.   When we had dinner Macy was sleeping - not Darcy though who had to be placed near to daddy and stared at him adoringly throughout.  Had their baths after dinner, then bottles and I got Darcy off to sleep before being carried up to cots upstairs.  Took Macy a while to settle no doubt because of her late sleep.  Niece posted the following photo in the morning captioned 'Born together, friends forever'.

Got home around 9pm and heavens opened whilst I was driving home.   A lovely day for me.

Have been going through the various toys, etc. I've had for years for when the various little ones have come to visit.   Dolls, buggies, blankets, high chair, cot plus numerous other things.   Decided to get rid of most of them now but will keep the smaller things for the twins when they visit.   So everything washed down and a load of knitted stuff to wash now.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 16:12 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear everyone is doing well. Good on you for standing your ground pharmaT. Lovely baby photo Annette7!

I spent most of yesterday embroidering names into my sons clothes because he is going on his first residential with school. The trip was on again, of again for a while due to you know what. He is very excited about it. I am going to find it very strange. It will be the first time he's been away with someone other than family and the first time I've gone more than a day without speaking to him. I will miss him very much and I think the dog is going to be very upset too.

Here's to a good week everyone.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 20:05 BST (UK) »
Lovely photo Annette, good to see that babies are doing so well. I expect you'll be able to tell them apart more easily as they grow and develop their own personalities.

Stanwix, what a great adventure for your son, I'm sure he'll miss you too, he'll be back before you know it. I'm impressed at the embroidery.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham