Author Topic: Elizabeth Alexander (nee Miller) of Enniskillen  (Read 720 times)

Offline alexaia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Alexander (nee Miller) of Enniskillen
« on: Tuesday 18 May 21 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I’m looking information on my great great grandmother, Elizabeth Alexander.  I have found a death certificate which I believe is hers.  It shows she died 30 December 1870 at Castle Street Enniskillen aged 50.  Occupation was given as dress maker and a George Breen, also of Castle Street, was recorded as the informant.  She was originally from Enniskillen and married William Alexander in 1841 at “Enniskillen Church” which I understand is St McCartins.  Her husband left her in 1860 for New York and left her with their son, George Alexander who worked for the Impartial Reporter for a period where his father had also previously worked.
My interest is where Elizabeth may be buried and if there are any records remaining.  Also, what type of area would Castle Street have been back then. 

Thanks

Ian
Alexander, Miller/Millar, Kennedy, Hamilton, Wilson, Newell, Ennis, Tilson

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Alexander (nee Miller) of Enniskillen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 12:48 BST (UK) »
Just checking that you're aware of the following marriage, which took place less than 3 months after Elizabeth Alexander died:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1871/11331/8158812.pdf
(3rd one down - BTW, Castle Street was/is a short street of about 75 yards leading from Anne Street/Darling Street to what was the Castle Barracks.)

John Dunn was still in the army nearly a decade later, I imagine there were other children to the couple:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1880/02876/2053894.pdf
(4th one down)

Edited to add: With the usual health warning about potential inaccuracy, a tree on the 'Ancestry' website shows other children and indicates a move to England.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 16:15 BST (UK) »
Here's a potential daughter Anne to this couple in 1877 at Cork (top one),  the references to sergeant and 16th regiment are consistent:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1878/02970/2088115.pdf

Offline alexaia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi gaffy,

Thanks so much for your quick response.

I had not previously been aware that William and Elizabeth had another child, Margaret.

The marriage record confirms this as it states that Margaret’s father (Elizabeths husband) was William Alexander and his occupation newspaper reporter.  Also, one of the witnesses to the wedding was George Alexander my great grandfather.  This all ties in and therefore also confirms beyond doubt that the  Elizabeth Alexander of Castle Street was my relative. 

A great find and again thank you so much.

Ian

Alexander, Miller/Millar, Kennedy, Hamilton, Wilson, Newell, Ennis, Tilson