Author Topic: Scanner Problem  (Read 455 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scanner Problem
« on: Tuesday 18 May 21 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
   I have a Cannon printer/scanner plumbed into an Acer Aspire laptop which has worked fine for almost 2 years but now when I click on  new scan I get a message saying  No scanner detected. Yet the printer works fine? I have been told to uninstall it and then reinstall it but I thought I would ask for advice before messing with it as I don't really know what I am doing
Thanks
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Scanner Problem
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 14:14 BST (UK) »
I had that problem with our Canon printer and my laptop which is connected wirelessly.  No matter what we tried, or how often we tried to uninstall and reinstall the scanner, it still didn't work.  I found the best thing to do was to download Vuescan, from www.hamrick.com.  If you don't buy a licence your scans will have their watermark on them, otherwise the licence for standard edition is £29.95. It works every time, without having to try to connect the printer to my laptop.  There is a Professional edition which does a lot more than scanning but that is £69.95.

By the way I can use the printer just to print in the normal way so I have no idea why the scanner seems to have stopped working.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 14:17 BST (UK) »
I had a similar problem years ago.  Have you checked that your copying machine doesn't have the word "offline" against it?
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, I will have a go, my sons logic is   just get another  but seems a shame to get rid of it
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks