Author Topic: John Healey Taylor’s “Invalid for Life” accident, in between 1891 and 1901  (Read 1251 times)

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Healey Taylor, born 1862 in Rochdale, married Priscilla Taylor in 1882, one of the daughter’s of my Great Grandfather William Taylor.  According to the 1891 Census, John was a Cotton Weaver.  On the 1901 Census he was not working, and was recorded as being an “Invalid for Life”.  John died in January 1903, aged 41 and was buried in Rochdale Cemetery.

Does anyone know what caused John’s injury, in between 1891 and 1901 and the date of that accident.  Which accident incapacitated him so much that he could not work ?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
It might not have been an accident. Does it say that somewhere?

His death certificate might help with cause of death.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
No mention of an accident on the 1901 entry
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Have you searched local newspapers for accident reports?  Difficult with the common surname Taylor. It might have been an industrial accident or transport-related e.g. hit by a tram, fell out of a train.
How do you know it was an accident? He may have had an industrial disease. One of my great-aunts died in her early 40's, her daughter died aged 16 and my uncle, also 16. All of them worked in cotton mills and suffered respiratory illnesses. They died in 1920's & 1930's.
Another cotton worker ancestor, a few years younger than John Taylor joined a Lancashire militia unit at the start of the Boer War and was discharged "unfit" 14 months later. He didn't serve in Africa; his unit replaced a regular army garrison on an island. A high proportion of young men who volunteered for the Boer War were unfit for active service due to poor diet, living conditions and their jobs. 
I agree with heywood about the death certificate.
Cowban

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
I had a little look through the newspapers for Rochdale and could find nothing specific for a John Taylor while searching for the term accident. The only accidents I found concerning a John Taylor were fatal, so clearly not the person you were talking about as they happened before 1901.

John Healey Taylor only came up once in relation to something to do with an election - no mention of an accident or illness.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Where does it show him as John Healey Taylor, both his marriage and death just have John Taylor. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There is a baptism for John Healey Taylor, 1845 child of William and Margaret at St Chad’s Rochdale.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
That is the only one I am seeing on searches.   The one mentioned by OP was born c1862
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Yes I know but I just thought I would mention him  ;)