Author Topic: Which scanner to buy?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which scanner to buy?
« on: Tuesday 18 May 21 16:18 BST (UK) »
I would like to buy a new scanner to scan the odd document or two.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fairly inexpensive easy to use scanner?

Thank you.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Which scanner to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 17:45 BST (UK) »
I don't mean to be flippant but freecycle and freegle are excellent sources for this type of thing.  People get rid of inkjet 3-in-ones when they stop printing reliably but the scanners still work absolutely fine.  Drivers are easily found online.  I came by an A3 one this way!

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 18:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you I will keep that in mind.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 May 21 10:22 BST (UK) »
I don't mean to be flippant but freecycle and freegle are excellent sources for this type of thing.

Not flippant at all... a brilliant suggestion, and one I've been practicing myself for several years.  ;)

The only thing to watch out for is some people offer these items because they have upgraded to Windows 10 and the device isn't supported - which means the required drivers won't be available.

Obviously that only applies to older printers/scanners, but worth checking the Win10 compatibility before requesting the item. (if you use Win10 that is)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 May 21 15:25 BST (UK) »
Do they still make (or give away) flat-bed scanners that will handle slides and negatives? If you have any of these in your family archives, this could be a factor in your choice.

For occasional use, lack of Win10 support might not be too much of a drawback if you get an old giveaway laptop running XP or earlier, or use a Virtual PC.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 21 16:24 BST (UK) »
You could also try Gumtree for your local area, they also have Freebies and sell unwanted items quite cheap, as people frequently update their accessories.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 May 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
Treetotal: Then there are people like me, I don't throw working equipment away even when I update.
Photo/transparency A4 scanner bought 2003 originally run on XP, last used on Windows 7 prior to update to Windows 10.
Back in the day, all in ones printer and scanner didn't exist you had to buy 2 separate items.
These days an all in one is the better buy for copy/printer usage.
Back to the original request though, cheap scanner available at Argos £50 which I believe is just a one touch item to scan.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 May 21 17:54 BST (UK) »
If the old scanner connects through USB, you stand a good chance even if up-to-date software is not available.

Windows 10 comes with a "Fax and Scan" app which can access the basic functions of most scanners. They usually have a standard basic "command language" supported.

The software which came with my usual scanner was written for XP. I ended up with it because support for Windows 7 was iffy to say the least, so it was being thrown out.

I normally use it with a virtual machine running XP, but it does "ok" with the Windows 10 software. Not all features are available; the highest resolutions don't appear, for example, and I much prefer the user interface of the old XP stuff.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 May 21 18:40 BST (UK) »
Treetotal: Then there are people like me, I don't throw working equipment away even when I update.
Photo/transparency A4 scanner bought 2003 originally run on XP, last used on Windows 7 prior to update to Windows 10.
Back in the day, all in ones printer and scanner didn't exist you had to buy 2 separate items.
These days an all in one is the better buy for copy/printer usage.
Back to the original request though, cheap scanner available at Argos £50 which I believe is just a one touch item to scan.
 Brian

Sorry Brian, I disagree, I bought a well known make of this type of scanner and only kept it for few months before taking it to the charity shop. When I looked at the online reviews the general feeling was that these were a waste of money.
Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU