Author Topic: Which scanner to buy?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Which scanner to buy?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 May 21 19:09 BST (UK) »
The reliability of the all-in-ones I had to support was less than stellar.

They were HP units - the brand the company had standardised on for both printers and scanners.

The Mean Time Between Failures for the units was 6 weeks. The printer was the more fragile section, because it got more use. Unfortunately when the printer part failed, the whole unit went offline.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 May 21 19:21 BST (UK) »
If only using now and again, and space is an issue or you want to be able to use it outwith home, portable scanners are an option. We have had a Skypix - Portable Scanner 900 DPI for about seven years. Don't know if model still available, but certainly similar are. Works well. Was an ideal size for fitting in a briefcase or similar, but equally for home use, it stored easily.

Nowadays, many phones and/or tablets also have an option to scan.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 May 21 22:33 BST (UK) »
At the time of purchase of the photo scanner my HP printer (the solid metal cased one) was running o'k but within 9months of further use it wore out.
No all in ones still not available at a realistic price so did without a printer untill one was available.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 May 21 11:03 BST (UK) »
I'm on my second Canon All in One - very happy with them and only changed the original because the printhead blocked up using cheap ink (I could not get it cleaned out).   An expensive mistake on my part.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 May 21 14:29 BST (UK) »
I had a Canon all-in-one which died because each time it was used, a small quantity of ink was used to flush the print heads, and the tank which collected the ink got full. (I always used genuine Canon ink, so it wasn't a cheap ink issue.) Replacement tanks were no longer available, and trying to empty it was far too fiddly for me to attempt, and would have been uneconomic to pay someone else to do.

It was annoying, but I got another similar machine because other than that it had always behaved well, and I didn't want to waste the spare cartridges I had, which had cost me almost as much as a new printer/scanner.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 May 21 20:01 BST (UK) »
The basic Epson printers use a sponge to collect the waste ink on start up.
Could be an easy job to clean/replace  but not prepared to try as eyesight not so good.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire