Author Topic: Oakwood Hospital, Maidstone, Kent  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Oakwood Hospital, Maidstone, Kent
« on: Wednesday 19 May 21 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching a relative who died in Oakwood Hospital, near Maidstone, in 1969. Some internet browsing identified it as a psychiatric hospital long de-commissioned.
I have a few questions which I hope someone can help me with:
*This relative died in Oakwood aged 86 years. Was Oakwood an institution for chronic mentally ill patients in 1969 and could it be possible she had been there for some time (I'm thinking because there was an accommodation setup for those who had nowhere else to live and/or did not manage living in the community)? Could there have been other reasons for her being in Oakwood?
*Are the records for patients of Oakwood available?
*Are other records for Oakwood, such as admission and discharge registers, available?
*I can't find burial information for this relative and wondered if it was possible for her to be buried on the grounds? Are records available for on site burials?
Any other information or observations on Oakwood relevant to the period of her admission would be gratefully received.
TIA.
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Oakwood Hospital, Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 08:21 BST (UK) »
Kent Archives would be the place the start.  You are unlikely to be able to view records younger than 100 years without special permission.

Yes, Oakwood was a hospital for the mentally ill but that term changed over time.  There are stories of unmarried mothers and people with learning difficulties being sent to such institutions. It had a farm and a laundry so the inmates could work if they were able.

I understand it had its own burial ground but it wasn't used in recent times. You may need to try the bereavement services at Maidstone Council.  The municipal cemetery is in Sutton Road but it's possible she was cremated.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 08:35 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to Oakwood Hospital burials.

https://tedconnell.org.uk/LFH/GRS/BAMOAK/01.htm

It only lists those with gravestones - mainly staff! It is thought 7,000 people were buried there.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 09:50 BST (UK) »
There is "A History of Oakwood Hospital 1828-1982" by Geraldine Procter.
Check the National Archives which catalogue the records held by Kent History and Library Centre.

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 23:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies, much appreciated. I'll follow up on the suggestions and see what I can uncover. In a general sense, if I wanted to find where someone is buried in the UK (I'm in Oz), where should I start? I have only been on this path once before and I hit pay dirt immediately when I made an enquiry at Medway Council. Should I do the same in this case? If so, if someone lived in Maidstone, which Council would they be covered by? TIA. 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
From Kent County Council's "Exploring Kent's Past" -

Oakwood Hospital, Barming
"An archive of administration documents, patients' case notes and burial registers is held at the Centre for Kentish Studies"

Access to patient's details will be subject to the 100 yr rule. Re. burials I have read elsewhere that burials at Oakwood Hospital/Barming Cemetery, Oakapple Lane ceased in the mid 1950s.

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 June 21 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi TIA,
My G Mother also died in Oakwood - in 1971.  She was a patient there due to dementia, and the subsequent inability of my mother to care for her.  I understood that most of the patients there were suffering from some significant mental problems.  The only other use for Oakwood was as a military hospital during wartime.  I closed long ago, and the records are archived, some at the National Archives (mostly pre 1950's), and some at the Kent County Council Archives & Local History: https://www.kentarchives.org.uk/

Not sure if they have anything as recent as the date you require, but worth a try.  It may be that the Maidstone Borough Council have more recent records https://maidstone.gov.uk/

Meanwhile you may be able to get considerable detail from a death certificate, available from the Gov Records Office (GRO).  https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/    That is where I started.

Good luck,
Michael (Also in Aus)
PIPE, CABLE, STANLEY, WATSON, East Anglia
BARTON, JUPP, WOOD, MUNN, PETERS, MARTIN, Kent & Sussex
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Derbyshire

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 July 21 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. I've been out of action so sorry for the delay  :)