Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 18th May  (Read 638 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 18th May
« on: Wednesday 19 May 21 07:51 BST (UK) »
Went out early to do the weekly grocery shop. Surprisingly the store was far less crowded than it has been for several weeks... not so many staff picking the on-line orders, and fewer shoppers too. Much pleasanter than it has been, but I can't work out why that should be.
We had sunshine too, but luckily I did take my umbrella when I walked to the pier to meet 2 friends.  The rain started just as we reached the rendez vous, and luckily we were able to grab an end alcove in one of the beach shelters where we remained for an hour or so, chatting away.
The rain bucketed down, though I managed to return home for lunch in a relatively dry patch.
Later during a mainly dry part of the afternoon H and I marched along the prom and up the cliff walk just to top up our steps quota. The wind was high and I wonder if summer will ever arrive?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 18th May
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 08:39 BST (UK) »
Oh no MH,  yet more rain for you.  :( Apparently the unseasonable weather we've been getting in May is something to do with the jet stream settling itself further north. Not that that helps you. At least you were able to still get together with your friends. Not sure what the explanation is for the quieter shops, perhaps lots of catering staff have gone back to work?

My day:

Nothing remarkable to report. Entertained myself on my walk by kicking off the numerous dandelion clocks, I figured that this way would mean they would germinate on the field instead of blowing into the gardens. A friend told me that there had been an appeal to gardeners to not kill the dandelions in order to help the bees. I think there are enough dandelions on my local field to keep many bees occupied for the foreseeable.

Did some gardening in the afternoon, trimmed some of the ivy that was looking scruffy, did some weeding, took cuttings from an aster. Lots of things are waiting to burst into flower, the aliums are coming out and the lilies are budding. The sun was hot, was about to relax with a cup of tea and my Kindle when it started to cloud over. There was a light shower and not much later a heavy one. Luckily it passed over before five when I was meeting my friend J for our weekly walk. We walked through the woods a short distance away, the trees are old and very large, it's quite dark where they're closest together. There was a magnificent horse chestnut tree in full bloom.

Felt quite tired when I got home, was feeling a bit weary all day. Watched the first episode of The Pact, a bit of a daft story really but not bad. Two more episodes to go.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 09:17 BST (UK) »
......"Entertained myself on my walk by kicking off the numerous dandelion clocks,"........ :D
That made me smile Roobarb.  It is being so resourceful has kept you going all this time!!

BTW, If it is true that yellow is the colour bees see the best, then dandelions would be crucial in protecting bees I suppose?  :-\

Hope you are feeling brighter today.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
Yes I am thanks MH, was out like a light last night!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for mentioning the new TV series Roobarb. I'll add it to my list.  :)

I didn't know what a dandelion clock was (had to google I'm afraid).

Odd weather you are having MH - sounds like you need to be prepared for all eventualities when you venture out.

Fairly quiet day for me - went to Aldi, did some washing - oh the excitement! Took dog for an early walk - we were out for ages, but she does dilly dally, does lots of sniffing and eating grass from her favourite patch on the footpath. Distance covered is generally not great. Slightly warmer weather wise. I hope that's not our winter over already.  :(

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
Oh, blowing dandelion puffy heads to see what the time is.
I bought my son an exquisite paperweight in which a dandelion seed head had been enclosed in acrylic ,forever.
How on Earth it was done-?
In a French town,the name of which escapes me but is  on the ‘“Champagne Route” ,in the market square is a lovely fountain ,a ball of many many small jets ,all split into many tiny jets,for all the world like a giant dandelion seed head .
You can tattoo yourself with dandelion sap, it dries brown.

Turned out a lovely sunny afternoon , after a nice start then some rain .
Changed the throws on the soft furniture in my little lounge ,could have got them washed and dry !
Vaced and saw a pin in the carpet ,could not get it out so got pliers ,then could not get up!
What a laugh.
Spoke with neighbour ,on phone ,we had a laugh ,each recounted the one and only time we were the worse for wear after a drink or two!
I ended up in a Chiropodist’s ,she told her boss exactly what she thought of him !

No idea what to have for tea,plenty in so no problem really.
Booked taxi for tomorrow for eyes, my son is not well again.

Repotted a cactus ,one of those that has flowers at the end of the stalks which are in tiers .little buds appear on the leaves.
Christmas Cactus.
My friend from church bought it for me oooh fourteen or so years ago .
I phoned  one Christmas to see how she was ,she preferred to be alone but she always came for New Year .
She said she had fallen and did not feel very well, her foot was totally black .
She would not phone an ambulance so I said I would then!
She decided to phone 111,and of course they sent an ambulance and she died two days later .
I often think I will phone her then—— no,can’t .

What a lot of hard work you do in your gardens ,so many flowers .
My alliums are up but not fully open as yet.
I also have some mixed sized ones in pots ready to plant out but the squirrels
have been burying peanuts in their shells in the pots!
Nasturtiums at last showing little leaves , and the Captain Sir Tom Rose is very healthy ,good strong shoots.

Well must get on, empty vac etc and think about tea.
A cuppa first though.
Cheerio everyone ,look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 May 21 09:24 BST (UK) »

You can tattoo yourself with dandelion sap, it dries brown.

Viktoria.

Ooo Viktoria you brought back such a memory of doing that as a kid! I'd long since forgotten about that being something you could do but as soon as I read it I thought I used to do that. Now the question is.....do I tell my 4 yr old and 2 yr old grandsons that's something you can do .....or would I be an irresponsible grandma lol .
North East of England