Author Topic: Problem with several place names in will  (Read 724 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Problem with several place names in will
« on: Wednesday 19 May 21 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Are any of you able to make a more educated guess than me as to the place names in the attached will. Below is my best guess. Thank you

27th day of July 1835. I give devise and bequeath (subject to the payment of the mortgages now thereon) a full Moiety of my real estate and landed property called and known by the several names of Plasnewidd and Pantyfunnon with all the Appurtenances?  thereunto  belonging unto My Dear Husband David Evan His Heir and assigns forever.

I give devise and bequeath the other moiety of my Property as aforesaid subject to the same payments as above stated to my Uncles David Jones of Tynewidd, Thomas Jones of Hendre Isai?,  John Jones niun? Capel all in the parish of Llandebie , Richard Price of Cwmynant and to my Aunts Sarah Bowen Morgan of Merthyr – Rachel Parry  of Penybank in the parish of Llanfynidd - Hannah Griffiths of Walk? in the parish of Llandeilo - Jane joins [Jones?] of Castell Mawr? in the parish of Llandileon? ,  Anne Thomas of Tyncwrdd? in the parish of Llanedy and Sarah Rees of Hendy in the said parish of Llanedy to  be  equally divided share and share alike for and during the respective lives from and after the decease of each

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with several place names in will
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 19:53 BST (UK) »
David Jones of Tynewidd, - Ty Newydd
Thomas Jones of Hendre Isai?,  Isaf
John Jones niun? Capel - there's a place called Capel in the parsh. Not sure what the word after Jones might be
all in the parish of Llandebie , Llandybie

Richard Price of Cwmynant and to my
Aunts Sarah Bowen Morgan of Merthyr –
Rachel Parry  of Penybank [sometime Penybanc] in the parish of Llanfynidd - LLanfynydd
Hannah Griffiths of Walk? in the parish of Llandeilo - Walk is correct - parish of Llandeilo Rural
Jane joins [Jones?] of Castell Mawr? in the parish of Llandileon? ,  It actually reads as such - Llandeilon ie Llanon. Castell Mawr is correct
Anne Thomas of Tyncwrdd? in the parish of Llanedy  Some times Llanedi. it could be Ty'nllwyn? There's also a field name refering to Tycrwn
and Sarah Rees of Hendy in the said parish of Llanedy

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 19:56 BST (UK) »
map for first one Hendre Isaf

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qmj/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 20:10 BST (UK) »
Wow! Brilliant as ever. Thank you

Roy

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 May 21 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Following up on this I have been trying to locate the various aunts and uncles in the census. With the help of Rachel’s mother’s Elizabeth Pryce/Price (nee Jones) Will, I have additional information on the aunts and uncles. From this I have located some of them but not the rest. All the aunts/uncles I have found were born Llandebie/Llandybie so I guess the rest were as well. Birth age range for these so far is 1786-1791. So, still looking for

David Jones on Tynewydd, who had children Ann, Hannah and Ebenezer (I think David is the oldest as he administers his sisters will)

Thomas Jones of Hendre Isaf who had daughter Rachel and Hannah

John Jones of Capel? Who had a son William

The rest I am less hopeful on as I have no extra info on, Sarah Bowen Morgan of Merthyr.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 May 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
just one snippet so far.

Baptism Llandybie 18 Nov 1821 William son of John, farmer, and Margaret Jones of Ty Newydd

Could be this marriage in Llandybie 21 Feb 1819 John Jones & Margaret Bevan, witnesses John & James Fisher.

oops, just realised it should be David Jones in Ty Newydd but could be linked

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 May 21 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a link. At one point I did wonder if Tynewydd was the correct residence for David, but in the 1835 will of Rachel Evans (nee Pryce)  and for that of Elizabeth Pryce (nee Jones) (proven 17 Jun 1841) it is listed as Tynewydd, Llandybie/Llandebie. Elizabeth was originally of Plasnewydd but Later Hendre Isaf (as detailed in her will), so must have been living with her brother Thomas for a while.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 May 21 22:27 BST (UK) »
Best match for David I can come up with is in 1841

David Jones 55
Mary Jones 50
Jane Jones 12

At Rose and Crown Llandebie, the next property in the list being Ty Newydd with an

William Morris 25
Anne Morris 20
Ebenezer 3
Mary 2
Rachel 9 months

I need to investigate further. Anne could be David’s daughter who maybe named one of her children after her brother Ebenezer who may have died before 1841 (although Elizabeth Price’s Will was proven in 1841 it was actually written 1836). Very speculative at the moment.

On the previous page is a Hendre Isaf but with a Griffith and Jane Jenkins living there.