Author Topic: Newspaper reports - all sorted now. Thank you to everyone for their help.  (Read 792 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How could I find out when a report was made in a newspaper?

The article I am interested in is as follows:

ROSS-SHIRE woman Mrs Margaret Maclean, a patient at Invergordon's County Hospital, is joined by her son and grandson to help celebrate her 100th birthday. Drinking her health is son, Peter, from Benfleet, Essex, while at her other side stands grandson, Nicholas. Originally from Ullapool, Mrs Maclean later lived at the Linnhe Crossing, Redcastle, in the Black Isle. Her other birthday visitors included nephews Roderick and William Maclean of Kingussie, and Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Ross, Mr William Paterson, who came bearing a telegram from The Queen. Picture by David Murray.

There is some link between this lady and my Mackenzie family, but without being able to research further into her birth and death dates, I am struggling to find the link.

Any help will be very much appreciated.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper reports
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 20:56 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the report from?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 21:07 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the report from?

It's a newspaper cutting, that shows the article and a photo.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 21:35 BST (UK) »
How about a guesstimate of the year.  Margaret Maclean is a very common name.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 22:00 BST (UK) »
It has to be after 1948, which is when the hospital in Invergordon was named the County Hospital.

It should be before 1982, because that was when the Queen stopped sending telegrams to centenarians, but that can't be relied on because you can't be sure that the journalist didn't just write 'telegram' rather than 'telemessage' or 'card'.

There are just five deaths after 1948 of Margaret Macleans aged 100 or more, but none are anywhere near Invergordon or anywhere else in Ross and Cromarty.

There are six deaths of Margaret McLeans aged 100 or more, one of whom died in Inverness. It is quite possible that someone in care in Invergordon might be taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness and die there. This lady was Margaret McLean, other surname Swan, mother's maiden surname Cumming, and she died in 2007 aged 106.

I did look to see when Mr William Paterson was Deputy Lieutenant, but all I can say is that he no longer is.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 21 19:42 BST (UK) »
It has to be after 1948, which is when the hospital in Invergordon was named the County Hospital.

It should be before 1982, because that was when the Queen stopped sending telegrams to centenarians, but that can't be relied on because you can't be sure that the journalist didn't just write 'telegram' rather than 'telemessage' or 'card'.

There are just five deaths after 1948 of Margaret Macleans aged 100 or more, but none are anywhere near Invergordon or anywhere else in Ross and Cromarty.

There are six deaths of Margaret McLeans aged 100 or more, one of whom died in Inverness. It is quite possible that someone in care in Invergordon might be taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness and die there. This lady was Margaret McLean, other surname Swan, mother's maiden surname Cumming, and she died in 2007 aged 106.

I did look to see when Mr William Paterson was Deputy Lieutenant, but all I can say is that he no longer is.

Whoop-de-doo, I have found the family connection.
Mrs Margaret Mclean, nee Mackenzie, died in 1988, at the age of 101. The death was registered in Rosskeen.
Mrs Margaret McLean would have been my second cousin, 2xremoved.
She was born on 09 June 1887 at Leckmelm, Lochbroom, to parents John Macdonald Mackenzie and Margaret "Maggie" Mackenzie.

Thank you for your help.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper reports - all sorted now. Thank you to everyone for their help.
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 May 21 20:43 BST (UK) »
Excellent :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.