Author Topic: PENANG: Surname JOSEPH  (Read 679 times)

Offline Pinang

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PENANG: Surname JOSEPH
« on: Thursday 20 May 21 09:37 BST (UK) »
I am looking for descendants or anyone who may know something about the family of Israel and Asenath Joseph who lived in Penang, Malaya in the early 1800s. They had two children that I know of - Elizabeth Joseph and Elisha Joseph. Elizabeth married my Great Grandfather James Gawthorne in 1851 and Elisha married Lydia Chemah in 1871.

Any information about this JOSEPH FAMILY would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PENANG: Surname JOSEPH
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 May 21 14:20 BST (UK) »
maybe this location might help - if you google it
Joseph Gawthorne - married Gwendoline Blanche O'Keefe at The Bretheren Mission Chapel ,Penang,Malaysia in 1905

could they all have married in that Chapel ?   if so - maybe they have records ?
also - does this make any sense to you - do you recognise anyone ?
https://gw.geneanet.org/chogue?n=joseph&oc=&p=asenath+wife+of
.................................................................................................
314 records here
post if you recognise your Israel ??
https://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?size=10&ignore_each_patronyme=&ignore_each_prenom=&type_periode=between&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&sexe=&nom=joseph&ignore_each_patronyme=&prenom=israel&prenom_operateur=or&ignore_each_prenom=&place__0__=&zonegeo__0__=&country__0__=&region__0__=&subregion__0__=&place__1__=&zonegeo__1__=&country__1__=&region__1__=&subregion__1__=&place__2__=&zonegeo__2__=&country__2__=&region__2__=&subregion__2__=&place__3__=&zonegeo__3__=&country__3__=&region__3__=&subregion__3__=&place__4__=&zonegeo__4__=&country__4__=&region__4__=&subregion__4__=&type_periode=between&from=&to=&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&go=1
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 May 21 14:27 BST (UK) »
were Israel and Asenath Joseph both German Nationalists ????
"A History of the German-speaking Community in Penang, 1800s-1940s Salma ... The Brethren Assembly carried on its work at the Farquhar Street Mission ..."
did you give that a thought ?? :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Pinang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 May 21 03:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you garstonite,

I really appreciate the time you have spent trying to help me. I have a copy of the book about Germans in Penang but unfortunately there is no mention of the Joseph family there.

Elizabeth Joseph was a Christian and her husband James Gawthorne was at one time the manager of the Mission Chapel. They were married in the Anglican St Georges Church because the Chapel missionaries were not authorised to conduct marriages at that time. I am thinking this Joseph family were probably from India but that is just a guess.

Their son Joseph Gawthorne was married in the Mission Chapel much later as you say.

Thanks again for your interest.

Offline Pinang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 May 21 03:34 BST (UK) »
maybe this location might help - if you google it
Joseph Gawthorne - married Gwendoline Blanche O'Keefe at The Bretheren Mission Chapel ,Penang,Malaysia in 1905

could they all have married in that Chapel ?   if so - maybe they have records ?
also - does this make any sense to you - do you recognise anyone ?
https://gw.geneanet.org/chogue?n=joseph&oc=&p=asenath+wife+of
.................................................................................................
314 records here
post if you recognise your Israel ??
https://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?size=10&ignore_each_patronyme=&ignore_each_prenom=&type_periode=between&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&sexe=&nom=joseph&ignore_each_patronyme=&prenom=israel&prenom_operateur=or&ignore_each_prenom=&place__0__=&zonegeo__0__=&country__0__=&region__0__=&subregion__0__=&place__1__=&zonegeo__1__=&country__1__=&region__1__=&subregion__1__=&place__2__=&zonegeo__2__=&country__2__=&region__2__=&subregion__2__=&place__3__=&zonegeo__3__=&country__3__=&region__3__=&subregion__3__=&place__4__=&zonegeo__4__=&country__4__=&region__4__=&subregion__4__=&type_periode=between&from=&to=&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&go=1

Dear garstonite, I had a look at the first 10 pages of this list and found most Israel Josephs were from Western countries. I shall need to join Geneanet to search the list for Penang. Thanks for this reference - it may prove useful.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 May 21 10:52 BST (UK) »
In case you don't already have this, Asenath Joseph, age 50, was buried in Penang on 27 September 1851. A native Christian.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BL%2FBIND%2F005137023%2F00380&parentid=BL%2FBIND%2FD%2F121096
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 May 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
More Joseph deaths in Penang:

Mark Joseph aged 30, native Christian, in December 1851: https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BL%2FBIND%2F005137023%2F00499&parentid=BL%2FBIND%2FD%2F121549

Johannes Peter Joseph, age 45, clerk, in July 1856: https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BL%2FBIND%2F005137027%2F00325&parentid=BL%2FBIND%2FD%2F128799
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pinang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 May 21 12:35 BST (UK) »
Dear ShaunJ,

I do have the death date for Asenath Joseph but not for Mark or Johannes. These confirm that the Joseph family in Penang were 'Native Christians", possibly Indian Tamils?

Mark Joseph may be a brother of Israel Joseph, because of the biblical name but Johannes Peter may belong to a different Joseph family?

Unfortunately I cannot find a record of birth, marriage or death for Israel Joseph.

Thank you very much for finding these records.