Author Topic: Normal for Norfolk?  (Read 774 times)

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Normal for Norfolk?
« on: Thursday 20 May 21 13:44 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather and most of his siblings' descendants and all ancestors that I can find came from a fishing village in Cornwall. I know this is hardly endogamous, but when testing companies drilldown enough and show regions of England would I expect to see Cornish ethnicity? The reason I ask is that I have doubts that he was the father of my grandfather. If I don't have Cornish ethnicity this might just about proves it.

Zaph

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Normal for Norfolk?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 May 21 15:00 BST (UK) »
Might be better to post his details so we can check.  Have you found him on censuses showing his birthplace?

Normal for Norfolk?

How does Norfolk feature?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 May 21 14:04 BST (UK) »
My understanding is that ethnicity "guestimations" are the most unreliable aspect of genealogical DNA testing, and little more than a gimmick at country level or below, so I would think expecting to see a proven regional difference between different counties or areas of the UK is more than you could hope for, and only as reliable as the testing company's available comparison samples anyway.

I have my paternal haplogroup and subclade, but the most specific I can be with any degree of reliability is that my fatherline is descended from a group of people prominent in NW Germany and Scandinavia within the last 3,500 years, and now found most commonly in NW Europe, England, Scotland, Scandinavia and the Svalbard Islands.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 May 21 17:32 BST (UK) »
As databases get larger, drilling deeper is possible, but my test was with MH and they have not given info on sub areas yet. Its too recent for specific details and not really relevant to my question. Ancestry give sub areas, so it can't be totally wrong.

So, if I don't have a regional ethnicity, does it mean my great grandfather didn't?

Zaph

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 May 21 18:27 BST (UK) »
Admixture or ethnicity estimates are described as the most widely advertised and least reliable aspect of genealogical DNA testing in various books and web references that I've seen.

ISOGG state that most providers "use a shared subset of the up to 0.7 million SNPs provided by Family Finder, AncestryDNA, 23andMe, etc. These are compared with publicly available datasets and the companies' own proprietary datasets. As can be seen from the Autosomal DNA testing comparison chart the accuracy and sophistication vary greatly and have not yet reached the quality desired for accurate genetic genealogy research".

They rate both Ancestry and MH as 5 out of 10 overall for admixture results, with the estimates for British populations rated "generally poor" for both companies. Living DNA have the highest score for British populations, rated 9 out of 10. LDNA quote my recent admixture (the last 1500 years) as being 96.4% from Great Britain and Ireland, with roughly 28% Central England, 18% SE England and 17% S Central England and about 16% a mix of NW England and N. Wales. With my grandparents ancestors over the last 200 years or so being from the Midlands, Kent and Essex, Somerset and Montgomeryshire into the W. Midlands and Lancashire, I guess you could say that's a reasonable fit, but I wouldn't take any of it as being sophisticated or precise enough to confirm or disprove more traditional research, or autosomal matching, and even they aren't committing to individual counties. GEDmatch using the same DNA data tell me that I'm of around 50% North Atlantic, 25% Baltic and 14% Western Mediterranean descent.

It's interesting, but nothing I'd rely on for researching my recent ancestors.

Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire