Author Topic: Seaching PRs and came across these symbols  (Read 1323 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seaching PRs and came across these symbols
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 May 21 14:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, but surely that means if you were calculating back from now to a date in 1702, the days of the week would be offset by 3 days?

A decent date calculator should take note of Julian/Gregorian calendars changes.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 May 21 14:30 BST (UK) »
Yes, but surely that means if you were calculating back from now to a date in 1702, the days of the week would be offset by 3 days?

A decent date calculator should take note of Julian/Gregorian calendars changes.
The change was not universal worldwide, England was several years behind many continental countries, so a calculator would also need to include several change dates depending on country, a nightmare to programme.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 May 21 14:56 BST (UK) »
https://www.gbps.org.uk/tools/calendars.php

The above Link might be of some assistance.

The Julian days for 1702, were 11 days behind those of the Gregorian days.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 May 21 15:08 BST (UK) »

Can we be sure of the year we are discussing ? The calendar year then began on March 25th - which may explain why the extract we are shown starts on the 30th ?  We may be looking at 1701 or 1703 (new style).  Tho that would only make a day's difference to our calculation of course .... >:(
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 May 21 15:32 BST (UK) »
Post Deleted.
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 May 21 16:02 BST (UK) »
Andrew Tarr wrote: Can we be sure of the year we are discussing ? The calendar year then began on March 25th - which may explain why the extract we are shown starts on the 30th ?  We may be looking at 1701 or 1703 (new style).  Tho that would only make a day's difference to our calculation of course .... >:(

Refering to the Calendar Link, the Planetary Symbols for the Days of the Week, as depicted in the Record, seem to fall into the Year  of 1701.

LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 May 21 18:24 BST (UK) »
Well, if nothing else, I think that diagram answers what the symbols on the OP must be about.  We  are looking at Sundays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, as we supposed.  Presumably the original scribe knew what he was doing ?

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 May 21 22:48 BST (UK) »
First may I say an enormous thank you to everyone who has replied to my original post. I have been trying to keep up on my phone, but it's not the best device for viewing this board. As my PC has been commandeered for a "Covid rule relaxation working from home visitor", I can only seem to get access at unearthly hours to make a meaningful reply :)

Forgive me for seeming not quite on top of all this, but have we actually reached a consensus as to what these planetary symbols actually mean? A day of the week, or an hour of the day? Is it, perhaps, an idea to seek advice from elsewhere, and any ideas where to ask? I will go back through the posts and follow the suggestions made to see if I can make sense of the original scribe was doing, but being a bear of little brain, the prospect is a little daunting and not guaranteed to be a success  :)

The reason for the post was that I am trying to re-construct a family that lived in Adel in the late 1600s and early 1700s - I have a post asking for help with this on the Yorkshire board - and in starting to cross-reference baptism records from various sources came across the 1702 Adel baptism page, sparking off my interest in this unusual parish register entry. In writing up my results I will certainly need to exercise some care in citations as I hadn't made the distinction between the Borthwick Institute and the West Yorkshire Archive Service and the difference in the records they hold. I will certainly need to add a new appendix taking a more detailed look at these particular PR pages.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 May 21 23:08 BST (UK) »
Forgive me for seeming not quite on top of all this, but have we actually reached a consensus as to what these planetary symbols actually mean? A day of the week, or an hour of the day?
I don't know about a consensus, but after Sandblown's explicit diagram above I am surprised that you still seem to have doubts - unless you disbelieve the diagram of course ...  :)

I'm not sure how you could assume anything to do with hours of the day - please explain.