Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 20th May  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 20th May
« on: Thursday 20 May 21 23:16 BST (UK) »
Summer yesterday, back to winter today. Made sure I went for a walk in the morning as there was lots of rain forecast for the afternoon. After lunch I went for my appointment with the optician, it was raining by then. The shop was empty of any other customers when I went in. After going through some questions and doing tests I was choosing some frames for new reading glasses, they had mended my old ones while I was doing the tests. I also chose some frames for another pair of glasses for driving at night, can't remember when I last did that. It took me ages, I must have tried on half the frames in the shop. Paid and went off home.

Did very little for the rest of the day, a few minor alterations to my portrait, have had enough of it now. Cooked some sea bass for tea, put it in a dish with chunks of pre cooked new potatoes, red peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and a drizzle of olive oil.
Watched the second part of The Pact, it's a bit far fetched really but quite entertaining. More rain forecast for Friday and over the weekend.  :(
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 20th May
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 May 21 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hot and humid here today, I have the bedroom ceiling fan on, might leave it on overnight. 
We went for an early walk today, due to impending heat, left around 8:45, parked car at drugstore, walked across to park.  Another new area for us, a section with a large planting of tulips, I went over to a bench, a beautiful thing, installed last year, a pair of them, with colourful tulips on back rest.  Donated by the local Dutch Association in memory of the 75th anniversary of the Canadian liberation of the Netherlands in 1945.  Many Dutch settled in southern Ontario after the War and are a big part of the farming community and hard workers.
I also noticed a new stretching area, with stationary stretching devices.  Would like to try them, but not in front of all and sundry!
I returned to car on my own, picked up some things at the drugstore, and the clerk and I complained about the heat, and I drove home.  OH walked home.  It’s weird to drive, have done so seldom since Covid.
Still working on cleaning up my office, almost done, then will set up my new laptop I bought in Dec 2019 and haven’t used yet, OH has been using it.  He will probably need to buy a new one now.
Some restrictions will be eased on our lockdown as of tomorrow.  Schools will not reopen yet. 
Daughters had little reaction to vaccinations, sore arms.
Hot for the next three days, in 30’s, Monday down to 20, Tuesday up again, then 20’s for a while. I hope!  Anyone who wants this 30’s stuff can have it! 

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 May 21 07:04 BST (UK) »
New glasses Roobarb.... well done you to brave such a close encounter, but I suppose you could all wear masks, which is less easy at the dentist.
I have been waiting for you to say you are getting fed up with the portrait...but you have put so much effort into it already, it seems a shame to waste all that now??
Yes Ruskie, we sure are having crazy weather here in zunny Debon!! 
Diana, I think I will be willing to give hot and humid a try. 4 weeks to mid summer, and the only bit we had here so far was in April!
Thursday, 36 hours of winds gusting at around 60mph, and almost continual rain.
I had hoped to get out during the morning but it was far too wet, and then there was a little sunny break the afternoon, which I missed while I was tied up in a zoom meeting. Frustrating since I didn't feel the meeting was particularly productive... a sunny walk would have been more so.
After slow cooked beef stew for tea, I did manage a dry walk along the prom, though the wind was so strong I had trouble staying on my feet at times.  However, it was worth it as I was practically the only nutter out getting some fresh air and exercise.
Just one Dutch cruise ship visible at anchor here today, and the 3 masted Tall ship, "Pelican" of London, taking shelter close in shore, before continuing to Liverpool.
At the pond I noticed the heron hunkered down sheltering from the wind at the edge of the island, and a flock of house martins were wheeling all around, diving from the sky to skim low over the water.  The little creatures really seemed to be enjoying the buffeting!
As I reached home the rain started yet again, persisting with the high winds for most of the night. The Echium in the garden below, which must have been almost 3 metres tall has snapped off at the base. :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 May 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
Diana, could you perhaps just send us a few degrees, that would make us all happy.  ;D  Good to hear that some of your restrictions are easing, hopefully that will continue as more people are vaccinated.

The staff at the opticians all wore masks MH and to be honest they weren't all that close. I wore a mask throughout. The optometrist set up the equipment where they change the lenses and just reached her hand over to do so. When I was trying on glasses they were handed to me, no physical contact or close proximity. But yes, I did feel brave!  :)

I think my portrait is just about complete, I won't leave it if my teacher says otherwise, I just feel as my friend put it so well  - that I've gone off the boil.

What dreadful weather you're having, I hadn't realised it was so windy in the south. Congratulations on being the nutter who went out in it! Just had a look at your forecast for today, it has a yellow warning of wind all across the south and around East Anglia and Wales. And heavy rain too but I expect you know that by now. Oh dear, hope it soon gets better.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 May 21 15:24 BST (UK) »
#3 Hi Roobarb, yes, I had noticed continual rain out there.... though to be fair, we kitted up in wet weather gear and trudged to town this morning, and after an initial short but heavy shower, we had blue sky and only intermittent "spit" in the gale force wind.
However, the rain started again very shortly after we returned, and hasn't really let up since.
My late MiL often used to remark that, there were plenty of people resting in the churchyard, who would love to have my problems! 
I am trying to hold that thought.
Glad you didn't find the optical appt too stressful.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 May 21 15:28 BST (UK) »
I am so glad i am self-isolating this week! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 May 21 15:33 BST (UK) »
#5  You have rubbish weather there too?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 May 21 15:55 BST (UK) »
Strong winds; heavy rain!
Actually calmed down this afternoon.

But still only 11c.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 May 21 16:49 BST (UK) »
27 here right now, feels like 32.  Sunny with cloudy periods.  Too hot.
The farmers need some rain, there is some in the forecast.