Author Topic: Optical Character Recognition  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Optical Character Recognition
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 May 21 16:01 BST (UK) »
The popular IrfanView image viewer (free) includes scanning (ctrl/shift/A or from File menu) and OCR (F9 or from Options). You need a plugin for OCR, but I think it's one of the bundled ones.

Scan the document, select an area if not all, press F9 and the selected text appears on a yellow background. Left click on that and it's OCRed into a text window from which you can save to a file or copy to the clipboard. Some setups are required the first time you go through this process.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 May 21 04:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your input.

HarryW, I have an Epson Stylus Office TX300f, which I purchased in 2009 :o I have checked the manual, and there is nothing about OCR :-X

Michael J, I think I have an old MS Office, but will have to check in my archives to see.

Chris Doran, I have IrfanView, so I will check it out, and see what I can sort out.

Again, many thanks to all of you.

AC

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 September 21 17:17 BST (UK) »
Yes!
 If your pixma printer came with My Image Garden the OCR is inbuilt
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 September 21 11:25 BST (UK) »
Chester, a word of warning. Are you sure you have a realistic expectation of OCR scanning? Unless the document meets a certain standard you might find that you have an excessive amount of editing to do. I often find and that using Google dictate and just read the document you often get a much higher standard of reliability than using OCR. This message has been dictated without editing. You will notice one or two tiny errors which I have left in deliberately. This shows you how good speech recognition currently is.