Author Topic: Ancestry DNA / New Confirm Match options  (Read 3166 times)

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA / New Confirm Match options
« on: Saturday 22 May 21 07:19 BST (UK) »
I might have missed this being posted already, but just gone into my match list and they have changed the layout again. Instead of the view match button on the right of the list, i get a heading saying 'Do you recognize them?' and then two buttons yes/learn more. When you click 'yes', you get the option to confirm the relationship (i.e. 1st cousin, 2d cousin, etc), and selecting the actual relationship listed by the name (i.e. 2nd-3rd cousin, becomes 2nd cousin).  It also looks to have changed the label on the 'view match' screen (as well as giving the option to edit).

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA / New Confirm Match options
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 May 21 16:14 BST (UK) »
I've seen chats about this on Facebook genealogy pages, but i dont have it yet myself - ie still the old format!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 May 21 17:16 BST (UK) »
Something else to look forward to, or not!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 15:32 BST (UK) »
I got it this morning.   I have thousands of matches as I imagine does everyone else.   Either I know who they are and where they fit in anyway or I don't and with the overwhelming majority of them I don't.   It's a complete waste of time and utterly useless as far as I can see.   Sadly it isn't the first "enhancement" that has left me wondering why they bothered.

Seeing where the centimorgans match would be far more useful.   Other companies seem to be able to do it with ease.   

More colours for grouping matches would also be a real improvement.

Another gripe is that their sweet little green leaves can be totally misleading.   I got the suggestion for one match that she was descended from someone who I knew died as a child.   The name was right for the match to be on her mother's side but it turned out to be on her father's side...

I'm sure they mean well but if I was marking their exam paper it would be a very definite "could do better".

Rant over!
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
I like it because I can now see the exact distance of relationship without having to go into the tree. It doesn't go past 5th cousin but I have added all those relationships to the note so I can see them too.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 16:37 BST (UK) »
I like it because I can now see the exact distance of relationship without having to go into the tree. It doesn't go past 5th cousin but I have added all those relationships to the note so I can see them too.
I agree, i was also putting the 'real' relationship as a note, to save going to the tree.
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 16:41 BST (UK) »
It's a complete waste of time and utterly useless as far as I can see.   Sadly it isn't the first "enhancement" that has left me wondering why they bothered.
I don't agree that its a complete waste of time, as it does have minor benefits, at least for what i used to have to do via notes :-)  But i do agree with most of the rest of your post, there are a lot of enhancements that i wish they would actually do, that could seriously help with trying to confirm the family links, my top picks would be 'rejecting invalid common ancestor links/thrulines', and a chromosome browser :-)
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 15:22 BST (UK) »
It popped up this morning

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 15:51 BST (UK) »
I got it this morning, I guess it could be useful for people who have just done their DNA , as far as I am concerned it merely duplicates what I had already done using grouping and notes, there are indeed far more useful things they could have done - like increasing the number of colours you can use for grouping but never mind - they have previously introduced far more irritating 'improvements'.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)