Author Topic: Diary > Friday 21st May  (Read 717 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 21st May
« on: Saturday 22 May 21 09:12 BST (UK) »
Looks like I'm first again, this was my day on Friday:

Woke up very early, decided to get up and start my day as I find it difficult to get back to sleep when the mornings are so light. Hadn't got far with that when I realised how tired I still felt so got back into bed. Woke again two hours later with a dull headache, something I don't often suffer from. Got up properly this time, I was coughing more than usual too, wondered if that had triggered the headache. After plenty of tea I went for a walk, hoped it might clear my head.

A fresh crop of dandelion clocks was awaiting me. I walked over the bridge for a look at the sea, it was very hazy. I was wearing a thin sweater as I thought it would be cold like yesterday, I was getting warmer and warmer, eventually took my jacket off. When I returned home I decided to do a rapid lateral flow test, I'd sent for some after my friend J mentioned them, I thought it was a good idea now that I'm getting out and about more. This was my first time with one of these tests, quite an experience for someone like me who has a very sensitive gag reflex! Left it in the bedroom so I couldn't sneak a look in the 30 minutes wait time. It was negative. Also took my temperature which was normal.

Art class after lunch, we did the preparatory work for a watercolour painting of a flower, not exactly a botanical painting but it has to be detailed. The teacher also gave me some feedback on my portrait,  more work to do to it, I feel like it'll go on forever.

Did toad out of the hole for tea with lots of veg. Doc Martin on TV, the episode where he and Louisa get married, it was hilarious. And my favourite Buddy the dog was there at the end.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 21st May
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 May 21 12:34 BST (UK) »
Oh Roobarb... sorry you felt rough enough yesterday to do a Covid test, but thankfully all negative. Hurrah. Hopefully you feel more yourself today.
Flower painting is so different from portrait painting.... can you comprehend what more the teacher thinks is needed on the portrait? At least if you can, it shouldn't be so onerous keeping on working on it.

Yesterday I had to go to town, (library, bank etc,) so waited for a mainly dry spell to do all that, and was glad to be blown back up the hill to my eyrie.
A very long wait in the bank, and H was encouraging me to do on-line banking, but I don't trust that at all, so will have to continue queuing. 
Normally I find the p.m. is swifter than a.m. but they have slashed their opening hours which doesn't help me really, and of course with businesses fully open again, I suppose I should have expected more people faddling about depositing/withdrawing coin.
Interestingly, there were 4 customers ahead of me who were having difficulty understanding the English language.
Tried to go out again after lunch, but it was SO wet and windy I gave up and relied on hurrying up the cliff walk as sufficient exercise.
A very uneventful day for me.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 May 21 14:56 BST (UK) »
MH, I'd decided previously to do a Covid test this weekend as I've been to a few different places recently but the headache and feeling hot did prompt me to do it a day or two earlier than I might have otherwise. I'm much better today thank you.
Re the portrait, yes I definitely see why the teacher gave the advice she did. I don't know if you are aware or maybe used it, on Zoom you can display a photo and draw on it, as if you were drawing on a sheet of glass over it. The teacher regularly does this to demonstrate what she means so I could see how effective the changes would be. She altered the background colour and it lifted the whole picture. I just have to get on with it now!

I really hope you get some better weather soon, it gets quite depressing,  particularly when it keeps you indoors. I'm with H on the online banking, it makes life so much easier and there are extra security checks now. I think there are probably more people being fleeced of their money by telephone and email scams. A few months ago a friend offered to pay me by cheque for something I'd ordered online for her, she doesn't do online banking. "A cheque???" I  cried.  :o :o We agreed that she'd buy me lunch when we were able, am hoping to call the debt in soon.  ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 May 21 15:23 BST (UK) »
Very glad all is well Roobarb .
When a foreigner in another country I must have held things up in banks etc many times .

Sunny now ,but not promising earlier.
Went to the shops ,got batteries in two little cheap watches but I can see the faces very well on these two.

Saw a nice ring ,and daughter had asked what size I was ,I said not to get one as knuckles all swollen now but it was lovely
.A half hoop of tiny stones with a good sized solitaire in the setting I like “Mille grain”, no claws .
It had no price ,I expected it to be several hundred pounds but no £ 10 —-
a dress ring ,shows how odd my eyes are now!

Got lots of cards from Sue Ryder Shop , paper for a difficult crossword ,some currant tea cakes to toast,and plastic mesh to keep Henry the lovely huge cat from over the lane out of my herb patch .

The postie this morning brought a box, it seemed very light and I wondered if
it could be plants so started to open it ,a shopping/ handbag in delightful colours and a book ,” The Arran Isles” .J.M.Synge .
I opened it to write that it was a present from my second son ,only to find my name and the  date 1999 already there.
Then I remembered I had lent/ given it to him when he did a tour of Ireland. .
I am pretty sure he was able to land ,only cattle are grazed there now, people left as there were hardly enough men to launch a curragh ,the rather heavy boats which could withstand the Atlantic gales.
Sad.

Got a funny Birthday card for number one son ,full of loving wishes etc————-it says :- The older you get ,The better you are ,then you open it and inside are the loving words—- “ Unless you are a banana!”
I will send a proper one too.
No news really so cheerio for now .
Viktoria.