Author Topic: Durham/Northumberland family Dating old (I think) cabinet card.  (Read 1755 times)

Offline 282daniel282

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durham/Northumberland family Dating old (I think) cabinet card.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 31 May 21 13:15 BST (UK) »
As to what he is holding in his hand, it is a mark on the photograph.
Northumberland/Co. Durham: ANDERSON; BONES; BOWMAN; EMBLETON; GALE; GALES; LUMSDON; NEEL; PRUDHOE
North Yorkshire/Co. Durham: CALVERT; NELSON
Cumberland/Co. Durham: DAVISON; PERCIVAL
Caithness/Lancashire/Co. Durham: DUNNETT
Liverpool: DEVINE; RATH
Norfolk/Co. Durham: SMITH
Lanarkshire/Co. Durham: STARK
Cornwall: SEYMOUR

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 31 May 21 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying that. 

Offline Eggy1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 May 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
Rena wondered what he was holding in his hand.  I think it is likely his gloves.  May be wrong of course :-)
I thought the same  :)

Offline Eggy1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 May 21 14:06 BST (UK) »
As to what he is holding in his hand, it is a mark on the photograph.
Unusual that - I stared at it and as it appears to be his thumb going across the mark I thought it must be a pair of gloves. When I have a go at removing all the spots from his coat etc. I will also try and cover up those black marks :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 31 May 21 22:36 BST (UK) »
The way that his had is position suggests that he is holding something, I thought it looked as though someone had coloured it in. Possibly a pair of gloves as mentioned earlier.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Eggy1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 06 June 21 14:47 BST (UK) »
282daniel282
This one has me and my old software beaten :( . I can't get the policeman's left cheek area to blend with the rest of his face or completely cover up the black marks about his left hand without making it look like he has more than five digits :) I will have to leave it to the professionals - if you manage to get the photo scanned then the there might not be that much difference between the left & right side shades. I'll have to give in - sorry.

Offline 282daniel282

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 06 June 21 16:14 BST (UK) »
That's okay Eggy thanks for your hard efforts. It looks much improved! (:
Northumberland/Co. Durham: ANDERSON; BONES; BOWMAN; EMBLETON; GALE; GALES; LUMSDON; NEEL; PRUDHOE

Offline 282daniel282

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 July 23 13:32 BST (UK) »
I'm delighted to say that 2 years on I am able to share a success story identifying the mystery photo of the police officer in this post. After looking into my great great uncle's first marriage to a lady called Martha Evelyn Dunn, I discovered from the 1911 census that she was the only child of one Police Sergeant Henry Henderson Dunn, and that the family were living near Ulverston in the South Lakes. I started digging and got in touch with Lancashire Archives who, free of charge, were able to provide assistance to dig out the personnel file of a Henry Dunn who served with the Lancashire Constabulary from 1884 to 1912. From this file they were able to provide details including DOB, place of birth, marriage, and districts served that matched up with the man from the censuses. They also provided his Police Collar Number, and (wollah!), it matched the number in the photograph - 280, giving me the solid evidence needed to confirm the mystery officer. Thank you to those who pointed his collar number out to me as I may have never noticed it myself!

I also searched his name in the British Newspaper Archive and found an amazing article upon his retirement, portrait included, covering his service history and beginnings in Preston, shining a light on why he had his photograph taken there. His daughter and my great great uncle didn't have any children of their own which explains why the photo has come to be in my possession.

I would recommend to anyone interested in researching people who served with the Lancashire Police Constabulary to use the Lancashire Archive search facility (https://policesearch.lancashire.gov.uk/policesearch.asp). Amazingly they have photographs of new recruits pasted in the Examination Books between the years 1875-1878 and 1885-1886, and then from 1886 in special Photograph Books.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 July 23 14:21 BST (UK) »
Well done on finding out who is is :)
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />