Author Topic: Connor McMullin McMullen  (Read 666 times)

Offline janeygee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connor McMullin McMullen
« on: Saturday 22 May 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
  Hi everyone  :)

I'm back looking for help  from the best bunch of researchers anywhere. so I hope  I don't hit a brick wall this time. ???

I have  a couple of families  from County Down inter married and I have found some records on S/P but can't find then in Ireland. Looking for ;

William Connor born Cty Down 1842  (f) William (m) Agnes McMullin(McMullen) family in Bridgeton Glasgow Scotland in 1865  where William Jr married  on 3rd Feb  1865 Jane Kirkpatrick she born 1840 Down Ireland.I have a list of  all ten Kirkpatrick children and parents who moved to Bridgeton Glasgow 1860 working as weavers in local mills. William Connor Sr occupation labourer. ???

I would appreciate any help in finding birth of William Connor.Down Ireland.and any siblings.
William occupation in Glasgow is Journeyman  Hammerman  Iron Foundry works. he and Jane had three children Elizabeth.John.Mary.

I've looked at Ireland census  and realise Connor is a very popular name I was hoping for a connection with Agnes McMullin she is deceased in 1865 marriage cert of William and Jane.
I see this as a mystery  search ??? and grateful for any suggestion from members thank you.

kind regards;

Janey; :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Connor McMullin McMullen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 May 21 21:24 BST (UK) »
The problem is that civil registration of births & deaths in Ireland started in 1864 before that date you need to search for church records of baptisms (usually it was only the Church of Ireland that kept burial registers although sometimes a clergyman might record deaths).
Do you know what religion they were? Many Catholic Parish Registers here (free)- https://registers.nli.ie/
Since the family were from County Down it would be worth checking this site under all the surnames-
http://rosdavies.com/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 May 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Janey

Did William Snr die in Scotland? If so, his death reg should give you his parents' names which may help when looking for links to Ireland.

Added: Look like parents did not follow William to Scotland. Can't see anything for them so far in Scotland  :-\

Jane Kirkpatrick died in 1873? Did William remarry?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janeygee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 May 21 19:14 BST (UK) »
HI Monica; ;)

Thanks a bunch for your reply I'm still searching for this Connor family and it looks like a brick wall. ::) I have spent a fortune wasting credits on SP looking at a lot of Connor names since the family stayed all their days in Bridgeton you would think it was easy but here is the snag I've run into.  ???

I found a corrected entry note on Jane Kirkpatrick Connor death cert and bought it and it looks like William Connor hit Jane on the head where she sustained terrible injusies and died four days later. There is a report dated March 1874  by the Procurator Fiscal at Bridgeton  but it does not say anything about William being charged with the deed even as it happened in his house as he and Jane were not living together at this time ,Another family member told me  William was off with another woman  and Jane's death cert does show a different address.

So can anyone tell me if there is a record site of police reports or some list where I can find if William went to jail ??? or he could have remarried after Jane died  7 March 1873  ???
I thought it would be easy finding him with his mother's name Agnes McMullin.

The three small Connor children went to live with their Kirkpatrick granmother .aunta & uncles at 22 Kerr St Bridgeton Glasgow. I found the boy John Connor came over here and settled in New York City with spouse Elizabeth S.Grant and five children but I can't find the two girls Elizabeth born Dec1865 & Mary born 14 June 1871 Bridgeton the name Connor has me stumped any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. thank you.

Kind regards;
 Jane. :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 May 21 20:51 BST (UK) »
Poor Jane Kirkpatrick. Awful death for her  :-\

He was charged with her death. There are a few newspaper references. The newspaper Dundee Courier on 10 March 1873 states that he had absconded but had now handed himself in to the police.

The Greenock Advertiser on 11 March 1873 states that Jane had gone to the pub where he was drinking to tell him to get home. It was on their arrival back home that he then assaulted her. She died at the Royal Infirmary later from her injuries. He absconded at this point but then went to the police of his own accord.

I can't see anything on the NRS Catalogue which often holds references to criminal trials https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

Also, apart from the newspaper references indicating that he had been charged and was in custody, I can't see any further newspaper references as to the outcome  :-\

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 May 21 21:07 BST (UK) »
There is another William Connor living in Glasgow who could confuse searches. The other William was born c. 1845-6 in Ireland to Hugh and Bridget Connor. They are in Glasgow from 1851. His occupation also shows a Hammerman in 1881...but then he had a varied number of occupations over the years. He married a Mary Malloy in 1866 in Glasgow.

Can't really see anything for William, husband of Jane, in Scotland post 1871 in the censuses.

Monica

Offline janeygee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 16:12 BST (UK) »
HI Monica  ;)

WOW,,,this is wonderful of you to find the newspaper stories about WilliamConnor.  Is there a website for those newspaper articles I could get a copy ???  my Connor 'rellies' would be over the moon to see that William was charged  as when they came over to USA they changed the name spelling to Conner
hoping to distance themselves from him, they still use the 'Conner' name today.

Can't thank you enough Monica you always come through for me.

Cheer all the best. ;D

Jane. :)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 16:38 BST (UK) »
Is there a website for those newspaper articles I could get a copy ??? 

The British Newspaper Archive (a subscription website) has both those newspapers.
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline janeygee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 17:25 BST (UK) »
 HI;

Thank you for the info on the newsapaper site .I found it ok but it is the most frustrating site to try and access. driving me nuts ::) I have input credit card email password all the details and it still will not accept. ::)

I found the page Monica wrote of and it says I can read three pages for free ??? yet I'm willing to pay for a sub and can't get in, any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Jane