Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 22nd May  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 22nd May
« on: Saturday 22 May 21 23:09 BST (UK) »
It's been like winter today. Went for my walk in the morning, it was breezy and the wind was coming straight off the sea. My appointment for my second Covid vaccination was at midday, I put on a sleeveless top and a jacket that would keep me warm. Same efficient service at the doctor's surgery as last time.

Changed out of my sleeveless top when I got home. I would have liked to do some gardening but it was grey and cold outside, I didn't feel like it. Spent the rest of the afternoon doing housework and reading. Had a chat with my friend A, we haven't talked for a little while.

Fancied a glass of wine in the evening but I resisted, if I have a headache on Sunday I want to know whether it's caused by wine or the jab. Couldn't keep warm, I had an early bath rather than putting on the central heating or an extra layer.

This is the first Saturday since regulations were relaxed to allow people inside pubs and restaurants. I wonder how that's been going this evening, no doubt the media will tell us on Sunday. I don't think there's been a mad rush around here, pre pandemic there were taxis buzzing up and down at weekends but it's been very quiet.

I'm wondering whether the mandatory changes to the British pub culture will last after the pandemic or whether people will return to standing around in groups rather than sitting at tables. So many establishments have made changes to allow people to order from their tables, no doubt they'll follow the path that makes most economic sense for them.

Feeling really tired, could be the jab but I've been feeling the same way a lot lately. How I'll ever get back to a social life I don't know.  ::)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 22nd May
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 May 21 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hope you feel better soon Roobarb , many feel tired and out of sorts .
I think you should give in to it a bit ,an active substance has been introduced into your body.
I am up late listening to “ The sound of the sixties”,Gosh there was some good music about then.
I was married with two little boys so only heard it on TV .
Saturday teatime.

Bright but cool today ,so electric blanket on and after a cuppa wash and bed ,
where I will read again about the Aran  Isles .
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 May 21 10:00 BST (UK) »
Sound advice Viktoria, :) best just to go slow Roobarb, and wait for our body to adjust in its own time.

I made an early bread raid on town, the weather was so damp and gloomy there was hardly anyone around, and it was really restful to wander into shops and be the only customer in the building. As well as the bread, I came home with some toothpaste, a pair of summer trousers, and a couple of food bargains from Lidl's, so it is salmon for tea tonight.
In the afternoon we had some actual sunshine, (gasp,) so a brisk march taking in the sea front and a little of the coast path beside the steam railway line.  The embankment is a mass of wild flowers, and is looking very pretty. There is an open area with a panoramic view, where we see rabbits sometimes.  At present the grass is full of bluebells; a really spectacular sight, with a back drop of 4 cruise ships and a sailing vessel at anchor in the Bay.
During the evening I watched some of the Eurovision song contest..... it seemed to me the entries I saw were fairly woeful, so I moved to something else, and went back for the voting which did appear somewhat political to me.  Once again Uk scored nil points!! Oh dear.  Would the song even have got to the final if Uk didn't have automatic entry I wonder? And that's a pity, because I think the song by the same writer, "My last breath" intended for 2020 entry, was stronger. 
As for Italy's winning song, this year, :-X words fail me!!
After that, realising it was around breakfast time in Oz, I dialled up and caught the 2 girls for a brief chat while they were being driven to pony club, which was nice.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 May 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
Blimey, what's going on with the weather. Cold, rain, wind, more rain  :-[ Managed an hour in the garden in between downpours. Feel better now the lawn has had a cut. Bob the dog was late going for a walk. He wasn't impressed. We had friends round for a drink last night and had the central heating on. We were going to meet up in the pub but its such a faff with all the rules. I quite like everyone sitting at tables and waiter service rather than groups congregating around the bar, but I also like to be able to wander over to another table and chat, or stop on my way back from the loo and talk to someone without the bar staff yelling over to 'sit down please Jo'.
I hope you're feeling better today Roobarb. I have my second jab on Tuesday. I think you were sensible to avoid the wine, I will be doing the same.
MH I agree with you about the eurovision, the voting definitely political. I too don't like the winning song.
Have a good sunday everyone. As I type it actually isn't raining. Going to take Bob for an extra long walk to keep his pecker up. My life is so much easier if his pecker is kept up. What with the rain and Bob's moods it's a wonder I get out of bed.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 May 21 14:28 BST (UK) »
Had a bad night last night but am on the mend now, thanks ladies.  :)

Pleased to hear you got some sunshine at last MH, and some bargains too. I didn't watch Eurovision, never do. Perhaps they should revert to the sounds of the sixties that Viktoria likes.

Well done on getting the lawn done Jo, it's difficult to time it with the weird weather we've been having. Hope Bob is friends with you again, he sounds quite a character.  :D There doesn't seem to be anything in the press today about the pub scene, I haven't got to the point of having a night out yet but it does sound odd. They obviously know you well! Hope you enjoyed your night at home.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 May 21 14:46 BST (UK) »
Ha ha!  What are you trying to say Roobarb  ;D Yes I am well known in the pub, not because I'm always in there but because its the village pub and the hub of our village. It normally takes about half an hour to say hello to everyone. Bob is a character, he is a Westie and very much knows his own mind and wants to do his own thing. I love him to bits and wouldn't be without him even though he can be moody and downright stubborn.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 May 21 14:56 BST (UK) »
Sounds like a lovely friendly place, I bet they all love Bob too.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 May 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
Odd weather over there everyone. Sounds nice to me, but I know you are all expecting (or hoping for) better by this time in May.

Sorry to hear you're under the weather Roobarb. I hope you feel better soon - likely to be when the weather improves I am guessing.

Your wildflower walks sound absolutely wonderful MH.

Your mention of Bob the dog made me smile Jo. Westie's are my OH's favourite small dog. :) Cute little characters they are. I feel your pain though - it's amazing how an animal's moods can affect their human ... and how awful is it if they are ill? I'd rather it be me that the dog, any time.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 May 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
We had a (very!) windy morning, followed by sun in the afternoon.
I couldn't take advantage, because I am still self-isolating, following my trip to UK.  :(

Due a 2nd test on Monday. If that's negative I will be allowed out. ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)