Author Topic: Requesting baptisms for Thomas Trinder (b.1796) and Susan Sherring  (Read 1130 times)

Offline FrancisGrn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Requesting baptisms for Thomas Trinder (b.1796) and Susan Sherring
« on: Saturday 22 May 21 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm finishing up a family file to compile my research and am following up on a few brick walls. I would like to please request that someone have a look for baptism records for a pair of brick wall ancestors. Their names are Thomas Trinder and Susan Sherring. Thomas was born c. 1796, and is listed in the 1841 and 1851 censuses as a hat finisher. The '51 census lists his PoB as simply 'London', but he's in Lambeth for both so that might be a good place to start. He died in 1852 in a workhouse. Interestingly, his age there is listed as 60, so 1792 may be the right date, but it's probably just an estimate. I would also like to known more about his wife, Susan Sherring, who is more elusive. She seems to have died before 1841, so no DoB can be confidently assigned, but 1800 is a good estimate. They married in 1824 in St Dunstan's with witnesses listed as 'Mary Ann Trinder' and 'Daniel McMillan'.  There is confusion as to their children; most trees list George Richard (b.1812), Edward Sherring (b.1821), my ancestor John Thomas (b.1824) and Thomas (b.1834), though if this is true two of the children were born out of wedlock and there seems to be confusion as to whether George was actually the son of Susan Sherring, who must have been older. I'd just like for someone to please have a look or some baptisms so I can crack the wall and go a bit further.
Best wishes,
Francis

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting baptisms for Thomas Trinder (b.1796) and Susan Sherring
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 May 21 18:56 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch has one possibility: Thomas TRINDER baptised 19 April 1787 Holborn, parents James and Maria.

However, given that many parish registers are not yet online, I cannot be certain that this is your man.  The age being five years off does not necessarily rule him out.

Philip.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 May 21 22:12 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch has one possibility: Thomas TRINDER baptised 19 April 1787 Holborn, parents James and Maria.

FrancisGrn did not respond my three posts on their previous Trinder query
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=843118.9

An 1848 Lambeth record seems to say that John Trinder's wife was Eliza? A mistake?
John Trinder, 25, of Lemon Court, Costermonger. In workhouse.

Father Thomas Trinder apparently the son of James and Maria (according to the man himself)
Was cohabiting with the widow Frances Watson.

Offline FrancisGrn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 May 21 22:40 BST (UK) »
Oh wow, so sorry about that. I must have thought that the query was no longer active and not looked at it. My apologies. You mention that an 1848 record lists Thomas as himself listing his parents as James and Maria; what record are you referring to? Also, you posted a long enquiry about someone called William Trinder; could you elaborate please?
Thanks,
Francis

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 May 21 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm afraid I can't remember it all, it may have been to do with the possible death of Sarah in 1849. I might have been suggesting that it was the wife of William who died, i.e. Sarah Brisley. Rather than Sarah Osmotherly?

The info about Thomas is from a short rough settlement exam in Lambeth in 1848. Said he was son of James and Maria, both dead 50 years. He had three(?) children by Frances Watson. Who was also examined.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 May 21 23:55 BST (UK) »
The marriage confirmed to the Lambeth Guardians
25 August 1823, Battersea
John Watson + Frances Dodson

Births
TRINDER, THOMAS  JAMES AUGUSTUS    
Mother's Maiden Surname: DODSON 
GRO Reference: 1841  J Quarter in LAMBETH  Volume 04  Page 259

TRINDER, CHARLES  HENRY ADOLPHUS THOMAS   
Mother's Maiden Surname: DODSON 
GRO Reference: 1843  M Quarter in LAMBETH  Volume 04  Page 287

Was Thomas Trinder born 1841 called Albert (Watson) later?
In 1841 Frances already had a son Thomas Watson, 8.
Who is with her in Lambeth in 1851, age 19, along with Albert, 10, and Charles, 9
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGT3-86B

Offline FrancisGrn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 May 21 20:49 BST (UK) »
That's very strange; The marriage with Susan Sherring was in 1824, and the Frances Dodson marriage was in 1823. I wonder what that means? Are we dealing with two Thomas Trinders? Do you have conclusive proof that the Thomas Trinder cohabiting with Frances Dodson was the father of John Thomas? Could the whole Sherring marriage be a false lead, and John Thomas is the son of Frances Dobson?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 May 21 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't think Thomas and Frances were together until later. After the death of her husband John Watson. What happened to Susan?
So far three exams on ancestry, they are not available elsewhere. I'll give the links, hoping you can see them
John Trinder, age 25, in March 1848
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1557/images/31952_a013135-00330

Thomas Trinder and Frances Watson in 1848
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1557/images/31952_a013142-00304

George Trinder in early 1849 (he married 1838)
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1557/images/31952_a013163-00143

And
The earlier exam in 1845 of Frances Watson - but originally said she was Sarah Watson here - of 2 Lemon Court.
Same marriage date in Battersea
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1557/images/31952_a013145-00052

Ah, John Watson died 6 years earlier (circa 1839?)
Also there are some exams relating to children of a William Trinder

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 May 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
Are we dealing with two Thomas Trinders?

I suppose we might be.
As you say, the Trinder - Sherring marriage was 1824.
There is an Edward Sherring Trinder, who says he was born in Christchurch, Surrey. Possibly born several years before that marriage, but you would think there is a connection.
On his marriage, 1 April 1849, Stepney, Edward was a Packer, said his father, Thomas Trinder, was a Baker.
(Thomas Trinder in 1848 said he wasn't married, and was never apprenticed)

1851, in Christchurch Southwark, Edward Trinder was a Stationer. Wife Ann from Berkshire.
1861, in Paddington, Edward Trinder, 40, is a Commercial Agent, living with William and Isabella Denyer. Relationship Uncle. No marital status given for him
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3F7-YFY3

29 Aug 1853, St John's Wood, William Denyer + Isabella Jennings.
What to make of it? :-\