Author Topic: Handkerchief Afternoon  (Read 1341 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Handkerchief Afternoon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 May 21 01:12 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it was some sort of club? The only mentions I can find online for 'Handkerchief Afternoons' appear to be newspapers from Australia and New Zealand.

Other things I found suggested that some considered giving handkerchiefs as a gift as bad luck, a sign of tears to come.

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 May 21 01:25 BST (UK) »
So, looking at the website you sent for the term 'Handkerchief Afternoon' it does seem that it is a bridal tradition for the most part.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/PATM19390626.2.23?items_per_page=10&phrase=2&query=handkerchief+afternoon&snippet=true

Here is a quote from what I linked to above.

"Each guest brought a gift of a handkerchiefs with a rhyme or limerick enclosed, which caused much merriment, and the parcel competition brought forth some most amusing and enlightening remarks".

That was in celebration of a marriage.

However some of the entries I found didn't mention an engagement at all, such as this one.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/HPDG19321007.2.16?items_per_page=10&phrase=2&query=handkerchief+afternoon&snippet=true

This one just talks about a first aid demonstration and competitions. So maybe it was a term that varied over time?

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 May 21 01:30 BST (UK) »
I've had a superficial look at British newspapers and I can't find much mention of the term, however there is one from 1962 for Manchester where members of the 'Sunshine Club' are selling handkerchiefs to raise funds.

However that could just be the term they settled on and not connected to the Australian/New Zealand tradition.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 May 21 02:10 BST (UK) »
Based on the above where there's a humourous message contained in the handkerchief, I'm wondering if it's  part of the Australian sense of humour based on the old adage/proverb;  "Marry in Haste, Repent At Leisure"

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 May 21 03:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, that was all I could find too.

The thought of some of the ladies named playing games makes my mind boggle.

Perhaps they really just did give a handkerchief and use it as a good excuse for a chat and to have their clothes described in the newspaper  ;D ;D

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 May 21 06:39 BST (UK) »
Here is yet another item where handkerchieves were actually donated and sent to the Red Cross, presumably to the troops!

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/45327486/3241615

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 22:37 BST (UK) »
How interesting, I never heard of it before.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
https://weddingcollectibles.com/blogs/blog/tradition-brides-wedding-handkerchief-gift

https://southernweddings.com/2011/08/03/southern-wedding-traditions-the-handkerchief/

Can see various early 1900s entries in American papers for Handkerchief Showers being held before marriages.

Similar references in other cultures too. Eg Irish linen handkerchiefs given before marriage.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .