Author Topic: Rosina Mabel Wharton name confusion , Duce ? 1896.  (Read 3201 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Rosina Mabel Wharton name confusion , Duce ? 1896.
« on: Sunday 23 May 21 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi , my great aunt Rosina Mabel nee Wharton who was born Oct 1896 was married to James L. Brown in 1915 at age 19 . My self and others are confused that we have all her children , brothers and sisters and parents  we assume right but can not find her marriage as Rosina Mabel Wharton . The marriage to James in 1915 is with her as Rosina Mabel DUCE . . It is a very small window for her to be married before 1915 to a Mr Duce  so why is that her name ? Several of us have studied BMD in all the ways we can think of to no avail . She was born to Robert Wharton and Sarah nee Lacey in Paddington and lived in the family home in South Harrow until her death in 1958 . People on ancestery have her parents correct but no proof of a Duce marriage . If you tell me where else to look I will research it . Thanks . Ps , I will order her marriage cert this week .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rosina Mabel Wharton name confusion , Duce ? 1896.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 May 21 07:41 BST (UK) »
I do not know whether you have access to the 1939 register.

The couple you are discussing here are with a daughter.

Here is her birth-

Births Jun 1920   
BROWN Nancie M   
Mother's maiden name  DUCE
At Kensington
1a/172   

Sue 

ADDING
I am adding also this birth relevant  to the couple.

Births Mar 1924   
BROWN George R
Mother's maiden name DUCE
At Kensington
1a/222

A reminder ;D
Maiden name means the name you were born with, not the name from a marriage previous to your current one
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 May 21 09:07 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused.
You state that her mother's maiden name was  Lacey.

GRO Index has the following two births registered.
Wharton, Rosina Mabel. Dec Q  1896. Paddington. Mmn  Mason.
Wharton, Rosina Mabel. Dec Q 1897. Paddington. Mmn Eagle.

I'm struggling to find a matching  Wharton- Lacey/Mason/Eagle marriage

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 May 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi , The Wharton / Eagle Rosina is a member of the same extended Wharton  family . She is the daughter of Arthur Ernest Wharton and  Elizabeth Eagles .  The Rosina Mable Wharton  I am trying to confirm lived in South Harrow , I have visited her family home with her mother Sarah Anna Wharton nee Lacey portrait in pride of place . Our confusion is trying to find her marriage  prior to James Lesly Brown . If there is one . The bmd says James married a Rosina Mabel Duce . ,,, I can not find any marriage for a Rosina Mable Wharton . Any ideas , Fred , ps , I don’t recall a marriage Wharton / Mason but will look on my tree .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 May 21 09:40 BST (UK) »
Which children do you know (or have) for Rosina?

Doris I Brown mmn Wharton
Ronald J Brown mmn Wharton
George S Brown mmn Wharton

Raymond J L Brown mmn Duce

There are also the ones which sparrett mentioned plus Peter 1925
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 May 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
There is also Douglas Brown  b 1928 with mmn Duce.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 May 21 09:54 BST (UK) »
Our confusion is trying to find her marriage  prior to James Lesly Brown . If there is one . The bmd says James married a Rosina Mabel Duce . ,,, I can not find any marriage for a Rosina Mable Wharton . Any ideas , Fred , ps , I don’t recall a marriage Wharton / Mason but will look on my tree .

A reminder ;D
Maiden name means the name you were born with, not the name from a marriage previous to your current one

Her name at birth was DUCE.  I doubt you will find a marriage.
The children with whom she is living in 1939 are from a union BROWN/DUCE as shown on their birth registrations.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 May 21 09:59 BST (UK) »
Our confusion is trying to find her marriage  prior to James Lesly Brown . If there is one . The bmd says James married a Rosina Mabel Duce . ,,, I can not find any marriage for a Rosina Mable Wharton . Any ideas , Fred , ps , I don’t recall a marriage Wharton / Mason but will look on my tree .

A reminder ;D

Her name at birth was DUCE.  I doubt you will find a marriage.
The children with whom she is living in 1939 are from a union BROWN/DUCE as shown on their birth registrations.

I presume this is the marriage OP has ordered

Marriages Dec 1915   (>99%)
Brown    James L    Duce    Pancras    1b   345    
Duce    Rosina M    Brown    Pancras    1b   345   

I don’t see a birth of a Rosina DUCE

Nor do I see in what I presume is the Wharton family (with a son Walter George born 1894 and Fahter Robert) a daughter called Rosina.  In both 1901 and 1911 there is only Mabel.  B about 1897. I don’t see her birth registration.  I am wondering if she was actually a grandchild.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 May 21 10:10 BST (UK) »
So Rosina Mabel Brown , (Duce ) with a photo of Sarah Anna Wharton nee Lacey on the wall  which I have seen photo had with James Lesley Brown .  Nancie , Douglas , Anthony ( who I met , now deceased ) Douglas , Peter and Robert .  Her siblings including my grandfather were Alfred . Walter , charles , Jessie , Clara  Wharton . Apparently she was the youngest child  so I am going to look into the grandchild aspect . If this is so I don’t think it is common knowledge but then no current people know of a first marriage . I will get the cert and let you know the answers , bye Fred ,