Author Topic: Latin Will 1684 William Joncey of Chedworth  (Read 659 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Latin Will 1684 William Joncey of Chedworth
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 May 21 07:46 BST (UK) »
Would that suggest they died at the same time do you think?

All I can say is that the dates for the legal processes here are identical - both bonds are dated 10 March 1684.

Just to clarify:  10 March 1684 is an Old Style date and means 10 March 1685 in the New Style (aka modern) calendar.

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
I have just found both burial records on Ancestry. William Senior died April 1984 and William Junior December the same year. Thanks for all your help.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 20:15 BST (UK) »
I have just found both burial records on Ancestry. William Senior died April 1984 and William Junior December the same year. Thanks for all your help.

I just took a quick look at the PR from Chedworth.  There are actually three William Johnse/Johnsey burials in the year 1684.

One is on April 30, one on May 11 and the third on what I believe to be 24 February 1684-5.

The date of the last is a little faded but it falls between November 11 and March 2 and begins with ff.  Near the top of the page are a couple of February burials from 1683-4 and the ffeb: written there matches what can be read of the month in the last Johnsey record.

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 23:55 BST (UK) »
Wow, I think you are right about the last date being February 1684 OS/1685 NS. Ancestry transcribes it as December. I completely missed the one in the middle in May though. I wonder what killed them all off and who the third one was??

I found a will for William Snr’s Widow Joane who died in 1701 leaving money to her Grandson William and Great granddaughter Susanna.
I think William Jnr married  a Susanna Merritt in 1678 and had a son called William in 1679 so he could be the third death or is it more likely to have been a nephew if William Jnr had a sibling who named their firstborn William too? Joane could have had multiple grandsons called William I guess. There is a Susanna Johnsey born to William and Mary in 1700 in Chedworth (possibly Mary Taylor who married a Wiliam Johnsey in Cirencester in 1699?). There is also a William Jonsey paying land tax in Chedworth in 1723.
They must all fit together somehow but it’s not quite clear yet!