Author Topic: O'Brien killed on railway  (Read 3356 times)

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
O'Brien killed on railway
« on: Sunday 23 May 21 18:50 BST (UK) »
My wife's great grandmother was Esther O'Brien born around 1876, and was married in Neath, in Wales. All we know is that she was Irish, and apparently brought up in a convent. But she apparently had a letter that indicated that her father was killed on the railway, so she may have become an orphan. This is a very long shot, I know, but is there any way to find a Mr O'Brien who matches this incident?
Jennings (Somerset), Sievers (London and Netherlands), Richier (Netherlands & Germany), Chappuzeau(Germany),Garner (London) , Smith (Guernsey), Brand (London and Germany),  Burney (Liverpool & London), Oakley (Wales), Creek (Wales & Devon)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Brien killed on railway
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 May 21 19:09 BST (UK) »
When is the 1st record you've found for her?
Is there a father's name and occupation given on the marriage certificate?
Have you found her in census records in Wales or anywhere to pinpoint a more exact location of birth? (the 1911 English & Welsh census is the one most likely to record a more exact place than 'Ireland' but we aren't allowed to do lookups for that one)
Was she alive in 1939 and have you located her in the 1939 Register? (exact date of birth will be listed)
Searching for 'Esther O'Brien' in Irish births brings up 56 possibilities for 1870s (spelling variations are common) which is why you need more information to be sure of finding the correct family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 May 21 19:22 BST (UK) »
Did she marry Francis Creek in 1918? That is the only one I can see.
You could check her birthdate in the 1939 register.
Does she name her father on her marriage certificate?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 May 21 20:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, Francis Creek. Thats all I know (except my wife inherited her hammer toes). Their son Frank Creek, wife's grandfather) was killed at Dunkirk
Jennings (Somerset), Sievers (London and Netherlands), Richier (Netherlands & Germany), Chappuzeau(Germany),Garner (London) , Smith (Guernsey), Brand (London and Germany),  Burney (Liverpool & London), Oakley (Wales), Creek (Wales & Devon)

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 May 21 21:08 BST (UK) »
1939 census says birth date June 19 1876 (as Esther Creck)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 May 21 21:13 BST (UK) »
Do you not have the marriage certificate?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 May 21 21:17 BST (UK) »
No, afraid don't have marraige cert. Can't find her in 1911 cenus.

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 May 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
Her son Francis Creek died at Dunkirk in the arms of his comrade Glyndwr Hopkins - father of Gaynor, best known as Bonnie Tyler

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 May 21 21:27 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look through the British Newspaper archive and under the search terms I used nothing immediately came up.

However, there are hundreds and hundreds of railway accidents in the newspapers and without a specific time period it's quite hard to narrow them down. Also an accident might not necessarily have made the papers.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*