Author Topic: Henry Gwynne - Dead End  (Read 746 times)

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Gwynne - Dead End
« on: Sunday 23 May 21 22:18 BST (UK) »
Good evening I have Henry Gwynne born 1826 in St John's Worcestershire and he married Betsy Collins 1857 in Droitwich Worcestershire. I think they had 6 children one being Henry Gwynne Collins who married Elizabeth Harrison Price, but that's for another day.  I have not idea who are Henry Gwynne & Betsy Collins parents are. If anyone can help it will be much appreciated.
Kind regards

heather
 :)
Warburton, Ackerley, Foxley, Gerrards, Buckley, Totty, Woodworth, Parkes, Bingley, Meredith, Gill, Royle all Cheshire, Pritchard,  Roberts, Caernarfonshire. Ingham, Roberts in Denbigh

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Gwynne - Dead End
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 May 21 23:55 BST (UK) »
Henry Gwynne bp.16/7/1826 Hallow, Worcestershire, son of Richard and Elizabeth (2 of his children given these names).   Richard Gwinn married Elizabeth Morton 25/4/1824 Worcester.

Can't locate baptism but Betsey Collins shown as bc.1835 Hartlebury in 1851 with parents George and Sarah in Elmbridge.   In 1841 family are in Stone. Births of 2 youngest in 1851 show Sarah's maiden name as Berry.

Can't locate marriage between George Collins and Sarah Berry.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 May 21 06:02 BST (UK) »
Betsy Collins baptized 24 January 1836 parents George and Sarah Collins, of Low Hill, Hartlebury

ref: The Genealogist

ADDED
John Collins parents George and Sarah Collins baptized 26 January 1834 at Rushock, Worcs.

Thomas Collins parents George and Sarah Collins baptized 6 May 1838 of Cutnal Green Elmbridge

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 May 21 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Heather
Have you managed to track Richard and Elizabeth and Richard’s parents?  If not, I’ve had a look for you and come up with some interesting info. some not in census and parish records.
Together with the parish and census records, it makes for a long message, which you might not need!

Jack

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 May 21 22:35 BST (UK) »
To be honest I haven't  been able to track either parents.  Thank you
Kind regards
Heather  :)
Warburton, Ackerley, Foxley, Gerrards, Buckley, Totty, Woodworth, Parkes, Bingley, Meredith, Gill, Royle all Cheshire, Pritchard,  Roberts, Caernarfonshire. Ingham, Roberts in Denbigh

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 May 21 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Heather,
Well here is the long reply!
Annette7 has found Henry’s parents were Richard Gwynne and Elizabeth Morton who had married in 25 April 1824 in St John’s (St John in Bedwardine). Parts of Hallow parish, where Henry was baptised, would then have abutted St John’s and there were other Gwynnes in that area in the 1830/40's.

Richard Gwynne (and other spellings) came from Stanford Bishop in Herefordshire. He was baptised there on 30 January 1791, one of the probably eleven children of Samuel Gwynne and his wife Sarah nee Baddeloe who had married there on 17 January 1785. Seven children were baptised at Stanford Bishop and another four children baptised as Gwin at Whitbourne, Herefordshire. Richard has a variety of ages and places of birth on census returns and elsewhere. One census does show Stanford (Stanford Bishop), but its been transcribed as Hanford.

Richard’s mother Sarah Gwinne died aged 65 when she was living at Upper Temple Laugherne, St John’s. She was buried at the parish church on 19 February 1831. By 1841 Richard’s father Samuel c. 84 and a daughter Ann c. 35 (baptised at Whitbourne) were living at St Oswald’s Hospital (Almshouses), in the Tything, Worcester.

On the 1841 census for Sytchampton Richard’s surname has been transcribed as Guinn aged 45 and his wife Elizabeth aged 35 both supposedly born in Worcestershire. The oldest child at home is Helen aged 7. Your Henry was an apprentice carpenter living in Llangarren, which is 7 miles from Ross on Wye in Herefordshire. He would have been coming up to 15 years old. His uncle Samuel was a carpenter, living at Northwick Hall, Claines, Worcester.

In 1861 census Richard and Elizabeth were living in Sytchampton. The Worcester Chronicle has an article on 2 October 1867 about him entitled, “Richard Gwynne, Waterloo Man”. The vicar of Ombersley had made an appeal on his behalf and acknowledged in the Times he had received £25 11s 5d and some clothes. The vicar put the money in a Savings Bank and proposed to pay Richard 5s a week as long as it would last as well as supplying him with coals occasionally during the winter. In the article the vicar said that he had provided him with comfortable underclothing and a pig.  Backing up this military link up are the 1755-1817 Attestations for the 1st Foot Guards which show Richard Gwyn, born in Stanford (Stanford Bishop) Herefordshire enlisted at Worcester on 24 July 1812. There maybe more info A*try. Richard died on December 13th December and was buried on 17th December 1868 at Ombersley. The obituary in Berrows Worcester Journal stated that he was 82 (!) and formerly of the First Foot Guards.

HTH
Jack

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 17:34 BST (UK) »
Gosh everyone and thank you Jack I would never have been able to find the information out like yiu have - amazing. Once again, thank you.
Kind regards
Heather
 :)

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 June 21 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather
Pleased to have been able to help.
Jack