Author Topic: Missing Sister of my Grandad  (Read 4978 times)

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Sister of my Grandad
« on: Sunday 23 May 21 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all, not been on for some time, life's been cruel to a lot of my family and friends ass will you all have. Please stay safe all as we are all family connected somewhere....

I've came on to seek assistance in trying to fir who would be my G Aunt, she is my G Granddad's illegitimate child due to the fact that G Grandad had 2 women on the pull at the same time, G Granny found out she was pregnant went to my G Granddad and told him and they  got married A.S.A.P. But the other woman came and found my G Grandad and she told him that she was expecting too but G Granny wouldn't allow the contact with her for whatever reason, so Granddad told me she was called Jean but he cant tell if her surname was Stewart or not, she was born in 1919 -1920 (ish) but I cant say where she was born but believes she was born Lanarkshire as my G Aunt was born possibly Avonbank Avondale but no address. Grandad did meet her once as he remembers that day very well but lost contact. I know that I'm asking a massive favour but I'm doing this for my Grandad as all his siblings have all passed on and all he now has is loads of memories of his life but I'd LOVE to get them reunited as he's 96 yrs old and I so want to give him a bit of his family before we loose him (fingers crossed. Thank you for your time in reading this message and I'd greatly receive any help/pointers to tracing her down.

Thank yous again for your time

Kindest Regards

Gill
Stewart McGilp Gillies Haldane Sommerville Little Orr Mullen Robertson King Leckie Hutton McLaren McDonald Meason/Mason Morison Hamilton Stuart,

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Sister of my Grandad
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 May 21 02:04 BST (UK) »
Gill

There is a Jean Stewart Finlayson born in 1922 in Avondale but her mother was a Stewart her father a Finlayson.  She died at 6 months later.

There are 22 Jean Stewart's b 1918-1920 in Lanarkshire.  To find out if one of these is the one you seek it will cost you some coin https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 May 21 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill.

I'm unsure from your post but can I clarify please - did the father of the baby have the surname Stewart?

If so, and he attended the Registrar's to register the birth, he would be recorded on the birth certificate and the baby would be registered with surname of Stewart.
If he didn't attend, he would not be on the birth certificate and the baby would most likely be recorded with the mother's surname.
So you could be looking at an awful lot of Jeans born in the area in that time-frame :'(
Bear in mind too,  that the baby could've been registered as Jane but called Jean.

I think you have a difficult task.  Good luck with your search.

Looby  :)

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 May 21 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill.

I'm unsure from your post but can I clarify please - did the father of the baby have the surname Stewart?

If so, and he attended the Registrar's to register the birth, he would be recorded on the birth certificate and the baby would be registered with surname of Stewart.
If he didn't attend, he would not be on the birth certificate and the baby would most likely be recorded with the mother's surname.
So you could be looking at an awful lot of Jeans born in the area in that time-frame :'(
Bear in mind too,  that the baby could've been registered as Jane but called Jean.

I think you have a difficult task.  Good luck with your search.

Looby  :)

Hi Looby, Yes my G Granddad's surname is Stewart.. I had a feeling that would be the case where tracing her would be! My Grandad can't tell me if she had the surname Stewart or not but as far as he's aware she did have Stewart as her surname. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to wait till Reg House opens so I can get a better chance of finding her. I don't know if G Granddad was/is on her birth cert or not Granddad doesn't know anything of that (she wasn't spoken about at all when the kids were about etc typical of the times and all that..... I know she would have been born in 1920 same as my G Grand Aunt/Uncle as that's when my G Grandparents had their first child, and that child was born in Avonbank, Strathaven as are a lot of my dads side of the family are, My Granddad told me he met her once but he was a child and doesn't remember much of the time she was around her half siblings, I know that no one in the Family were allowed to talk about her with " illegitimate child" G Granny was not well pleased with G Granddad on this and this is all I have on her. My Granddad is 96yrs old
Stewart McGilp Gillies Haldane Sommerville Little Orr Mullen Robertson King Leckie Hutton McLaren McDonald Meason/Mason Morison Hamilton Stuart,

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 May 21 11:48 BST (UK) »
I recommend your grandad does a dna test .there might be matches to descendants of his half sister then you could find her surname . She might have been adopted so first name could change too
Good luck
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 May 21 22:23 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling that that's gonna be the case where finding Granddad's half sister is concerned. I spoke to him yesterday about finding her etc and again all I got was that she would be the same age as his oldest sister whom was born in 1920. The story goes my G Granddad had two women on the go at the same time, both women fell pregnant around the exact same time, G Granny told him she was pregnant so "gunshot" wedding happened very quickly not long after that my G Aunt was born, a short time later the other woman" traced my G granddad down to tell him that she was pregnant and shortly (weeks) after that his other daughter was born, G Granddad was informed and after that it was not spoken about, my Granddad remembers meeting her, as my G Granddad must have taken my Granddad to meet her as he remembers her telling him that she was his sister but her mum wasn't his mum, my Granddad thinks he would have been about the ages of 10 to 12 years old, but again he wasn't allowed to talk about her with anyone else in the family as G Granny was livid with him for having dated her and the mother of his other daughter at the same time (she probably was shocked about it too, Thank you everyone for all your help and idea's I greatly appreciate everything you have all done for me try find her. If anyone else can think of anything to aid me till Reg House (scotlandspeople is too expensive to do a load of trying to find her on there...

Thank you all again for all the help
Gill

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, just wondering if your granddad has any idea of the forename or surname of the mother of the child? It would certainly help narrow down the Jean Stewart 1920. Kim

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 16:41 BST (UK) »
Who and where did your GGrandad marry?

Where and when was your grand dad born?

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 September 21 19:49 BST (UK) »
     Does the name James Stewart run in the the Stewart family line?