Author Topic: Missing Sister of my Grandad  (Read 4976 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Sister of my Grandad
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 September 21 02:04 BST (UK) »
Do you know if any of your grandfathers children or grandchildren have taken DNA test half cousins could show up .its always best if the elders test would your grandfather be willing to do it .
My aunt took hers aged 92 no half siblings but her dna did help some other  distant relatives work out their direct ancestor lines
Including some with unknown fathers
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 September 21 11:44 BST (UK) »
I took on the responsibility of the DNA  test and the results were amazing turning up my dads siblings cousins 2nd all the way through to 8th cousins,  but as far as i know none of my uncles have done it, I'm gonna speak to my dad an see what he says about doing it or my granddad doing it which I know would be the best one to do it to see if I can find her/her family and so forth. I'd also want it to be added via my account as I have shared my account with the family so that new Lill additions are added to the right people if you get what I mean, that way its done right and its not only continued on by the family but its a family activity so to speak.
Stewart McGilp Gillies Haldane Sommerville Little Orr Mullen Robertson King Leckie Hutton McLaren McDonald Meason/Mason Morison Hamilton Stuart,

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 September 21 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I don't think this has been mentioned on the thread but.....
I wonder if the mother of the little girl took legal steps to seek paternity of her child and therefore be awarded 'maintainence' payments from your great-grandfather? Something worth considering.

Looby :)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 September 21 18:53 BST (UK) »
Loobey - you mean like this?

SC5 Stonehaven Sheriff Court 1652-1988
SC5/8 Processes - preservation, 1st series 1671-1986
Country code GB
Repository code 234
Repository National Records of Scotland
Reference SC5/8/1921/1
William Gordon and Margaret Ann Collie or Gordon v William Stewart
Dates 1921
Access status Open
Location Off site
Description Action for removal.
Level File
Previous numbers SC5/8/458
Departmental cipher A15/1921

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 September 21 19:30 BST (UK) »
Loobey - you mean like this?

SC5 Stonehaven Sheriff Court 1652-1988
SC5/8 Processes - preservation, 1st series 1671-1986
Country code GB
Repository code 234
Repository National Records of Scotland
Reference SC5/8/1921/1
William Gordon and Margaret Ann Collie or Gordon v William Stewart
Dates 1921
Access status Open
Location Off site
Description Action for removal.
Level File
Previous numbers SC5/8/458
Departmental cipher A15/1921

Don

Being honest, I can't tell from the info provided. Where did you find it?
This is certainly an indexed record of a legal case brought by William and Margaret Ann (Collie) Gordon against a William Stewart - but I can't tell if it is a paternity case. The year is 1921 and the case is being heard in Stonehaven Sheriff Court - miles from Lesmahagow.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 September 21 20:55 BST (UK) »
NAS Catalogue Search

Its an "Action of Removal" which covers a host of civil issues including failure to pay settlements.  You can't tell unless you get it. You typically file them where you think that person might be or have assets.  So it could one or at several courts.

I'm not suggesting this is the one but it would be along these lines if she took him to court for nonpayment or restrict/deny access.  This is the only one in the NAS.

There is no Paternity Cases https://www.scottishindexes.com covering that period but its third party.  You would have to access the Sheriff Court Records.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 September 21 21:39 BST (UK) »
NAS Catalogue Search

Its an "Action of Removal" which covers a host of civil issues including failure to pay settlements.  You can't tell unless you get it. You typically file them where you think that person might be or have assets.  So it could one or at several courts.

I'm not suggesting this is the one but it would be along these lines if she took him to court for nonpayment or restrict/deny access.  This is the only one in the NAS.

There is no Paternity Cases https://www.scottishindexes.com covering that period but its third party.  You would have to access the Sheriff Court Records.

Don

Thanks for further info Don.
Yes it would be similar to that one.
I looked on Scottish Indexes too - but that period is maybe too recent.

I thought it worth suggesting to Stewarty076  -
Just thought a single woman with a child at time would need financial assistance and would perhaps pursue the father for payment.

The 1921 Census, when it is eventually released may help narrow down potential mothers/babies.
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned to Stewarty076, so apologies if it has, but sometimes (but not always) unmarried mothers gave their child the father's surname as a middle name -
I know there have been a couple of suggestions of girls born with the forename and middle name Jean Stewart earlier in the thread.

Looby  :)

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 September 21 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I don't think this has been mentioned on the thread but.....
I wonder if the mother of the little girl took legal steps to seek paternity of her child and therefore be awarded 'maintainence' payments from your great-grandfather? Something worth considering.

Hi, yeh I dont know that either as mentioned he passed 1 year and 1 day before I was born and things like that wouldn't be spoken about when he or his family were around, I wouldn't know where to look for anything like that!?
Stewart McGilp Gillies Haldane Sommerville Little Orr Mullen Robertson King Leckie Hutton McLaren McDonald Meason/Mason Morison Hamilton Stuart,

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 September 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
NAS Catalogue Search

Don

Thanks for further info Don.
Yes it would be similar to that one.
I looked on Scottish Indexes too - but that period is maybe too recent.

I thought it worth suggesting to Stewarty076  -
Just thought a single woman with a child at time would need financial assistance and would perhaps pursue the father for payment.

The 1921 Census, when it is eventually released may help narrow down potential mothers/babies.
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned to Stewarty076, so apologies if it has, but sometimes (but not always) unmarried mothers gave their child the father's surname as a middle name -
I know there have been a couple of suggestions of girls born with the forename and middle name Jean Stewart earlier in the thread.

Looby  :)
I've never been to or ever searched on there! I take it its like scotlandspeople?? I cant believe all this help im getting, I have never been overwhelmed about help to find family, but taking a chance going to Strathaven then Sandford and actually finding a cpl of my granddads cousins. Thank you all for your help now and for any other help I am given... Thank you so much again