Author Topic: Missing Sister of my Grandad  (Read 1784 times)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Sister of my Grandad
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 September 21 07:20 BST (UK) »
       My father was born in 1915, and lived with his parents & two brothers, in a cottage in Stonehouse Road, Sandford, about one and a half miles from Strathaven, from 1917 to 1926.     

At that time, there were only two small shops in Sandford, one of them being the tiny post office, which happened to be run by three Stewart sisters, all unmarried.      Also, the house he was living in was rented from a James Stewart, who. according to the 1920 Valuation Roll (on Scotlands People) lived at 11 Ballgreen, Strathaven.     Then, on the Valuation Roll for 1925, James is at Abbotsford, Cochrane Street, Strathaven.      The people of Sandford relied on Strathaven for supplies, and were closely connected with Strathaven because of that.

Other Stewarts I have noticed are a William Stewart, who married Mary Orr in 1920, at Lesmahagow,     And a Catherine Stewart and Agnes Stewart, who are on the 1920 Valuation Roll, just below the entry for James, so I am guessing they may well be related.

My father and his two brothers attended the tiny school at Sandford, which only had two teachers.      He loved living at Sandford, and later in his life, he would drive myself and my sisters out there to show us all his old haunts, including the house where he had lived, his old school, and the Spectacle E falls, and great countryside all around.

When they were boys, my father and his two brothers used to go to a nearby farm and bring back milk to the wee post office shop run by the Stewart sisters, and picked up a few pennies for this.       

There were quite a few Stewarts in the area.

I wonder if your Grandfather remembers Sandford. 

You might like to have a look at the Valuation Rolls on Sandford.      They are a lot less expensive than the B.M. & Death certificates.       

Other Stewarts I noticed when researching yesterday are a John Stewart at Milnholm, Strathaven, a Marion Johnston Stewart, born 12 Nov 1920, a  Martha Johnston Stewart, a Jeanie Stewart, a Jean Stewart and a Janet Stewart.

Searching for Bap of Edward Worels born 1826 Hollingbourne, Kent

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
Gill

There is a Jean Stewart Finlayson born in 1922 in Avondale but her mother was a Stewart her father a Finlayson.  She died at 6 months later.

There are 22 Jean Stewart's b 1918-1920 in Lanarkshire.  To find out if one of these is the one you seek it will cost you some coin https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Don

Hi Don, Yes I know that there are a lot of Jeans in Lanarkshire, We do not know anything about her or her Mother, only that her name is Jean, as I explained the topic was never spoken of apart from when my granddad told me of her as I explained in my post. My Granddad turned 97 yrs old there and he still wonders about her but that's the only info he has of her!! I have managed to make contact with family in Sandford those are my granddads cousins but they don't know anything on her due to the fact as stated it was taboo.. Thank you for advisement,

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 20:44 BST (UK) »
       My father was born in 1915, and lived with his parents & two brothers, in a cottage in Stonehouse Road, Sandford, about one and a half miles from Strathaven, from 1917 to 1926.     

At that time, there were only two small shops in Sandford, one of them being the tiny post office, which happened to be run by three Stewart sisters, all unmarried.      Also, the house he was living in was rented from a James Stewart, who. according to the 1920 Valuation Roll (on Scotlands People) lived at 11 Ballgreen, Strathaven.     Then, on the Valuation Roll for 1925, James is at Abbotsford, Cochrane Street, Strathaven.      The people of Sandford relied on Strathaven for supplies, and were closely connected with Strathaven because of that.

Other Stewarts I have noticed are a William Stewart, who married Mary Orr in 1920, at Lesmahagow,     And a Catherine Stewart and Agnes Stewart, who are on the 1920 Valuation Roll, just below the entry for James, so I am guessing they may well be related.

My father and his two brothers attended the tiny school at Sandford, which only had two teachers.      He loved living at Sandford, and later in his life, he would drive myself and my sisters out there to show us all his old haunts, including the house where he had lived, his old school, and the Spectacle E falls, and great countryside all around.

When they were boys, my father and his two brothers used to go to a nearby farm and bring back milk to the wee post office shop run by the Stewart sisters, and picked up a few pennies for this.       

There were quite a few Stewarts in the area.

I wonder if your Grandfather remembers Sandford. 

You might like to have a look at the Valuation Rolls on Sandford.      They are a lot less expensive than the B.M. & Death certificates.       

Other Stewarts I noticed when researching yesterday are a John Stewart at Milnholm, Strathaven, a Marion Johnston Stewart, born 12 Nov 1920, a  Martha Johnston Stewart, a Jeanie Stewart, a Jean Stewart and a Janet Stewart.

Blimey!!!!! Yes my Granddad remembers Sandford greatly as his Grandparents were the owners of D Stewart and Son's farm Haulage... William Stewart and Mary Orr are my Great Grandparents, my Grandah Will died exactly 1 yr an 1 day before my birth (I've always been told 1 door closes an another 1 opens. I must admit I would have loved to have met him as my granddad says that he was a canny man with a gentle demeaner) Granny Mary I have no recollections of, but I have seen photos of her and Grandah Will.... The wee farm that you speak of belonged to Williams parents Duncan Stewart and Janet Stewart nee Millin/Mullen! (there are different ways to spell her surname) I made contact the other week when I took a run out to Sandford and actually found Williams younger brothers kids (my Granddads cousins) so we are currently making arrangements to reunite the 4 cousins safely either outdoors or via video link!! I will get more information from them as time goes and we are all very excited to get together.. My Granddad just turned 97 yrs of age an is the oldest Stewart living which is amazing as he has a massive family who he has taught loads of things from farming and growing fresh fruit and veg to how to keep a family together, also stories of his childhood, his Grandparents owning a farm Haulage company D Stewart and sons my father an 2 older uncles remember working on the farm during summer holidays along with their own stories to put into my tree for our kids and grandkids so that they know where their root lay!

My Granddad was born Lesmahagow, in the same wee area where his parents married! Martha Johnston Stewart is my Granddads oldest sister he was 1 of 5 and the only boy. I cannot believe that I have got someone who knows my family to say that I'm over joyed is an understatement 

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 21:10 BST (UK) »
Who and where did your GGrandad marry?

Where and when was your grand dad born?
My Granddad was born the 22

Great Granddad Will was born in Crookston Lanarkshire 1898 and he married Mary Johnstone Orr in Brockets Brae Lesmahagow Lanarkshire on the 16th July 1920 as the were expecting my Great Aunty Martha Aug 1920 Brockets Brae Lesmahagow.

Granddad was born in Brockets Brae Lesmahagow on the 22 Aug 1924.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 08:41 BST (UK) »
        My grandfather, John P Martin split with my grandmother around 1925.     In the 1930's, 40's and 50's, my grandmother lived at Milton, Lesmahagow.   I visited my grandmother with my parents quite a lot in the 1950's when it was a beautiful, tranquil little village.     

From memory, when the bus from Glasgow entered Lesmahagow via the M74, there was a sharp corner and the railway station was on the right and the railway line went from there and crossed a huge bridge over the river.      My grandmother's house was at Milton, just beyond that.      You could go through her back garden and just a matter of yards further on you came to the River Nethan.     The Nethan had large boulders and you could use these like stepping stones to go out to the middle of the river.   We loved the place.     We had picnics there.     My family (Mum, Dad and my two sisters) went holidays in the summer to Milton.

At Sandford, my grandfather & family lived at Stonehouse Road.     Above the door, there is still a sign that says "The Neuk".      The house was directly opposite the old school, and my father and his two brothers only had to cross the road to get to it.
                                                           Brian

Searching for Bap of Edward Worels born 1826 Hollingbourne, Kent

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, just wondering if your granddad has any idea of the forename or surname of the mother of the child? It would certainly help narrow down the Jean Stewart 1920. Kim
Nope all I have is the info I have put up. my Granddad told me that when the other woman came to the door after my G Grandparents married and they were told the other woman was due/had G Granddads daughter it was made taboo, end of, the only reason my Granddad knows about his half sister is due to the fact he met her when he was a bit older and able to understand the complexity of the situation, he never spoke of it till the day I was sitting at the table when he said to me "be careful of skeletons in the closet" as he laughed, I thought my Grandma was gonna crown him a belter cos that was the first time she had never heard anything about his half sister ever and they had been married over 60 years.. I've never been so scared but wanted to laugh so hard at the same time in my life ever!!

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 11:59 BST (UK) »
A long shot...

WILSON, JEAN STEWART F 1923 621/ 57 Avondale
She died 2002 in Dalry

You would need to order her birth to verify.

Don

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 12:24 BST (UK) »

My Granddad was born the 22

Great Granddad Will was born in Crookston Lanarkshire 1898 and he married Mary Johnstone Orr in Brockets Brae Lesmahagow Lanarkshire on the 16th July 1920 as the were expecting my Great Aunty Martha Aug 1920 Brockets Brae Lesmahagow.

Granddad was born in Brockets Brae Lesmahagow on the 22 Aug 1924.

If both women were pregnant at the same time in 1920 then you would expect both children to be born 1920 (after July) in Lesmahagow.

There are 9 births of a Jean/Jeanie in Lesmahagow 1920 but 2 are with low index numbers so could be discounted

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill.

I'm unsure from your post but can I clarify please - did the father of the baby have the surname Stewart?

If so, and he attended the Registrar's to register the birth, he would be recorded on the birth certificate and the baby would be registered with surname of Stewart.
If he didn't attend, he would not be on the birth certificate and the baby would most likely be recorded with the mother's surname.
So you could be looking at an awful lot of Jeans born in the area in that time-frame :'(
Bear in mind too,  that the baby could've been registered as Jane but called Jean.

I think you have a difficult task.  Good luck with your search.

Looby  :)

Looby yes Granddad Will was William Stewart born 12th Nov 1898 Crookston his parents were Duncan Stewart and Janet Miline/Mullen( there is loads of ways that her surname is written as I have all their kids Birth records and some of their Death records) he married Mary Orr in Brockets brae, Thier Daughter Martha Johnston Stewart was born 16th July 1920 in Avonbank and it would have been in and around that area that Jean would probably been born. We do not know if he is on the birth cert at all as it was a taboo subject never spoken of ever, Granny Mary done her dinger when the other woman came to the door about the news....