Author Topic: Deceased online - Ancestry Web UK burials search tip for misspellings  (Read 753 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Several burials that I have found that have scans and are indexed on the deceasedonline website that contains the records of many cemeteries in the UK have wrongly transcribed surnames. I was originally frustrated at the inability to search with only a first name and date range on the deceasedonline site, until I discovered that the database is also indexed on Ancestry.co.uk under this search

Web: UK, Burial and Cremation Index, 1576-2014

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/70845/

Using the Ancestry search, you can search with only a first name (also using wildcards i.e. * or ?), limit it to a specific year or year range, and also limit it to a specific county or municipal area (which is also not possible on the deceasedonline site). Bear in mind that modern districts are used, so areas in London, that were formerly part of the surrounding counties i.e. Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Surrey, Essex and Kent are listed under the London Borough which they now lie in. You should put the Borough name in the keyword section rather than the location section.

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Deceased online - Ancestry Web UK burials search tip for misspellings
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 May 21 15:57 BST (UK) »
Great tip M S, thanks very much  :)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 May 21 22:01 BST (UK) »
Great tip M S, thanks very much  :)
Thanks for your note of appreciation ofg, I hope it helps somebody. Not all the cemetery records are on there by any means, but a good proportion are, they say they have millions more records in the pipeline :). You can see the most recent additions by clicking on the Coverage link on the homepage of the deceasedonline site (sort by date added or alphabetical order, unfortunately not by county or region)

For London, I know that there are some other records online, sometimes you can go to the each Borough archives or local studies page or specific cemeteries page which might link to the records or the website of specific cemeteries that you can then email or contact by phone if they don't have online records. In London some cemeteries such as the Brookwood cemetery in Surrey and the City of London cemetery in East London specifically served the whole metropolis, so people from all over London can be buried there. The Brookwood registers are one of the most recent additions to deceasedonline, added on 30th April, but I think the Ancestry search hasn't yet been updated, as people I know are buried there do not yet show up. This is the City of London cemetery burial search, where you can search by date range only and then browse page scans (no name index)

https://col-burialregisters.uk/?please

Offline searchingforanswers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 June 21 05:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this info!! :) I was able to locate a grave I've been seeking for ages on deceasedonline. Ancestry, findagrave ect don't list it at all so I've had no luck in the past. Thank you!! 

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 21 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this info!! :) I was able to locate a grave I've been seeking for ages on deceasedonline. Ancestry, findagrave ect don't list it at all so I've had no luck in the past. Thank you!!
Glad this helped someone else out :D!! Yes, I would definitely recommend trying all sorts of tricks that you can on Ancestry, including wildcards (* or ? to substitute many or one character), or just using a first name or a last name (whichever you consider most likely to be misread) and a county/municipal area and a year or year range (say if a person's death is registered in December, they might be buried any time between September or January the next year).
   Also, as I said, bear in mind a lot of places that used to be in counties are now part of cities, i.e. Birmingham includes what used to be parts of Warwickshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire etc., and they will be listed under those cities and their district or borough names on deceasedonline, which you can put in the keyword search (don't put district/borough in the place search box).