Author Topic: George Union born ca 1841 in Watchet  (Read 1092 times)

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: George Union born ca 1841 in Watchet
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 May 21 18:34 BST (UK) »
May be the 1841 is not the family?

UNION, ANN       39  death
GRO Reference: 1850  J Quarter in BRIDGWATER UNION  Volume 10  Page 269

Colin

This death is Joseph's second wife, Ann Willcox, from whom I am descended.
His first wife was Ann Crocker who was buried on 18th August 1843 in Bridgwater, aged 62. GRO death register also gives age at death of 62 for Ann Crocker. Joseph Union and Ann Crocker baptised 10 children between 1804 and 1824, the first three in Watchet, the others in Bridgwater. I believe their last child George is the one who married Mary Stone in 1849 and NOT the one from my original post.
Joseph died in 1859 (so not on 1861 census) and was buried on 30th September 1859 in Bridgwater. His third wife, Sarah Rich survived him.

Thanks for everyone's help!
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 May 21 18:37 BST (UK) »
It did cross my mind to wonder if George's age was wrong.  The image for 1851 does say age 10, but it is possible that his age was misheard by the enumerator.

That 1841 you've found Col suggests that Joseph's occupation has been misread. Possibly meant to have been mariner? The 1851 says he is a pilot.

I always assumed pilot of a boat. So mariner/pilot all the same thing?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 May 21 18:40 BST (UK) »
Pilots (maritime) have always been needed on the Bristol Channel.
Watchet is, of course, at the western end of the Bristol Channel.

KG (Who grew up on the Bristol Channel coast  ;))
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 May 21 19:18 BST (UK) »
So just to reiterate I wondered if George could be the son of:

- Ann Willcox, Joseph Union's second wife. They married on 30th October 1843 in Bridgwater. She was a spinster of full age and daughter of James Willcox, a labourer. She died on 8th June 1850 of consumption. At her burial her age was recorded as 49 years old. On the GRO death register, her age is down as 39 years old! I would tend towards 39 as she had a child in 1849.
She may be the Ann Wilcox baptised in 1812 in West Quantoxhead, but hard to know. Maybe DNA matches will help me find her origins. This Ann seems to have had a daughter, Sarah in 1837 in East Quantoxhead. So perhaps had a son a few years later?
- Sarah Rich, Joseph Union's third wife. They married on 22nd September 1850 in Bridgwater. Her surname was Hill, she was a widow; and daughter of John Rich, carpenter.
I think she married William Hill on 5th November 1821 in Over Stowey. I also think she was the Sarah Rich baptised on 6th September 1801 in Cannington. Could she have had a child after she was widowed and the child took on the name Union?

I'm not sure they'll ever be any answers but it would be interesting to find out more about this elusive George Union born ca 1841 in Watchet.
I hope one day with DNA matches, I'll track Ann Wilcox's origins.

Andy  ;D