Author Topic: Family Heirlooms  (Read 6026 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Family Heirlooms
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 18:43 BST (UK) »
We have the settee given to my ggg-grandmother as a wedding present in 1810.  [Was it built by her father?  I'm not sure].  The thing was transported from Maine to Wisconsin.  It was later tossed into the trash in about 1900 but was salvaged by ggg-grandma's g-grandson-inlaw who put it into his mudroom to sit on when he removed his muddy farm boots.  So, it's still in the family and still as hard and uncomfortable as ever.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 18:47 BST (UK) »
These sound so delicate and ornate iluleah, the nightdress case and christening gown sound like wonderful pieces of workmanship and craft, no doubt lots of love went into their creation.

I have my great grandmothers 9ct gold spectacles in their shagreen case, they are so tiny like a childs specs. I also have a photo of her along with husband and children where she is wearing them. Two silver chainlink bags/purses  and a beautiful detailed beaded one, not sure of who they originally belonged to but I think they were also my great grandmothers, given their age and style.
My grandmothers night dress case made for her when she was a child which is in the shape of an elephant and a beautiful parashute silk hand made, embroidered with cut work Christening gown my grandmother made for the christening of her son (my uncle), which has been used for my mother, myself, cousins and her great grandchildren.
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have a number of items that were my maternal grandfathers but the one that I treasure the most is his fob watch. Made from base metal, a bit battered (he was a coal miner), sometimes works sometimes it doesn't, but I won't get rid of it. I can remember him using it when I was a 'nipper'.

Absolutely priceless Allan, you can't put a price on something like that

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 18:49 BST (UK) »
Oh yes,Christening gown and my wedding dress !
However did I get in that?
Gave baby clothes ,teddies etc to respective children when I moved ,whether they kept them or not is anyones’s guess ,I could not have thrown them away, - too sentimental.

Viktoria.

it's always nice to share the stories of their origins with our own children, it will certainly help them to appreciate what they mean and how priceless these items are.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 18:54 BST (UK) »
I have a number of items, amongst them I have my grandfather's  Princess Mary WW1 brass tin, with card and pencil,  he died in 1916.

I have Bibles belonging to two great grandfathers on different sides of my family, both listing BDMs, one entry is the only way I discovered stillborn twins sons in 1832.

I also have that same great grandfather's William IV engraved pewter beer mug. The beer mug is special because I obtained it by chance, it was donated by a collector to a sealed bid auction for charity. Fortunately, a local historian remembered I had visited the town several years early, researching that surname name, she tipped off the organisers that I may be interested and gave them my contact details. I was lucky enough to place the winning bid. That great grandfather died in 1858, so the luck of  it finding its way to me 150 years later, is why it is special to me.

Wow what are the chances of finding the pewter mug like that! Serendipity indeed! I only found out about the WW1 tins this year, I believe every soldier on the frontline received one at Christmas.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 18:55 BST (UK) »
We have the settee given to my ggg-grandmother as a wedding present in 1810.  [Was it built by her father?  I'm not sure].  The thing was transported from Maine to Wisconsin.  It was later tossed into the trash in about 1900 but was salvaged by ggg-grandma's g-grandson-inlaw who put it into his mudroom to sit on when he removed his muddy farm boots.  So, it's still in the family and still as hard and uncomfortable as ever.

Can you imagine furniture today surviving 200 years! No chance, lucky to get 10 years.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 19:41 BST (UK) »
My grandparents had that settee in their living room in the 1950s and 60s.  Only children sat on it; the adults all knew what a leg and back-breaker it was.  Perhaps it could be considered a sort of dual heirloom having been originally made for Granny's g-grandmother and having been saved for posterity by my grandfather's father.  It was only much later that I learned of its history.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 18:56 BST (UK) »
My grandparents had that settee in their living room in the 1950s and 60s.  Only children sat on it; the adults all knew what a leg and back-breaker it was.  Perhaps it could be considered a sort of dual heirloom having been originally made for Granny's g-grandmother and having been saved for posterity by my grandfather's father.  It was only much later that I learned of its history.

I still can't get over a piece of furniture that old still being used and lasting that long! love to see a picture

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 20:03 BST (UK) »
  I have my gr grandfather's sea chest, and a wool embroidery of a sailing ship done by him at some stage in his career. Also a sampler made by his future second wife in 1855 when she was aged 10.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire