Author Topic: Diary > Monday 24th May  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 24th May
« on: Tuesday 25 May 21 08:56 BST (UK) »
Well it seems that no-one has beaten me to it so here's my Monday diary:

A lovely sunny day today and quite warm too, it stayed dry all day despite the forecast of some light rain in the afternoon.

Usual walk this morning, was standing on the bridge over the railway watching a little rabbit in the woods below, it seemed to be sunning itself. The sea was blue today. Walked down the lane and crossed the railway then through the woods. It was only a couple of minutes after that the train went through. I'm always very careful when crossing the railway but have often wondered what happens if you ring the emergency services because for instance someone has fallen on the track and can't get up. Do they have some sort of fast connection to the railway operators to get them to stop the trains? Rather dour thoughts I know but I'd be interested to know the answer.

Had an early lunch then just as I opened the back door to do some gardening there were some huge spots of rain, typical! It lasted literally seconds so I went out, started with the front garden where I wanted to empty and refill some pots. That included the job of finding somewhere to put the bulbs while they die back, I could do with a bigger place for that. More gardening at the back, moved some of the contents of a couple of pots, planted some of the sweet peas in the garden, one lot in a pot so I could put them in the optimum position. Planted some more of the Rudbeckia that I'd grown from seed.

Had a tea break indoors about 3pm, just got settled with my cuppa when there was someone at the door, it didn't seem like it was one of those annoying salesmen. It was a man from the Stroke Association, he was wearing a mask and was very pleasant, he told me a very long story and finally got round to what he wanted which was for me to join a lottery. He seemed genuinely disappointed when I said no. I don't join in anything like that, I think charity giving is a very personal thing and I don't want to join it because of feeling like I ought to,

Went back out and finished my gardening, finally stopped about 5pm. In the evening I succumbed to a glass of wine.

At about 7.15 my broadband had gone off and despite taking the necessary actions it wouldn't come back on. I hated the thought of having to phone BT so I had a look at their website on my phone and on entering my landline phone number was able to see that there was a problem with broadband in the area which they hoped to fix by about 2am. In the event it was back on by 10pm and I was able to find out that it wasn't just BT that was off, apparently Sky and some others were too. Don't know what caused it but was pleased when it was back on.

watched Long Lost Family: Born Without a Trace. Such touching stories.

I've been pleased to read in the news that the Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccines are effective against the Indian variant of Covid. Also that dogs are being trained to sniff out Covid19.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Training dogs to identify the scent of Covid-19
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57225838

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 24th May
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 09:21 BST (UK) »
Had my 2nd test (after 6 days) on Monday morning.
Normally I would expect an email with the results - previously these arrived at 3:30am and 7:30pm.

Nothing arrived overnight; so I had to call the Covid help-line this morning.
Result was negative ;D

So, I can now go out and rejoin society :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 10:03 BST (UK) »
That is good news!
I am sitting waiting to be ferried to some where or other for a Covid test re the eye op on Friday.
Son lives in Bolton and the most recent advice seems to be not to travel to or out of that area.
So number one son will not be able to come wit a bit of shopping but I still have my Tesco online shopping ,must book a slot when I get home.

Ooo! Roobarb,level crossings give me the heeby jeebies!
Don’t know why, a film in childhood perhaps.

Rain again today ,honestly, almost June and heating still on and the duvet back on the bed!
Jumpers still being worn !

It is good news too the Indian variation can be controlled by both the Pfeizer and AstroZeneca vaccines.
Sniffer dogs how amazing .
Had a dog walking friend whose dog behaved with very cautious interest towards some people, invariably they were eventually diagnosed with cancer.
Sadly the dog - a magnificent Siberian Husky - did not diagnose its mistress’s  cancer,!

Not sure if Grandson and Flash Harry’s mummy and Harry will be able to travel from Suffolk ,they will sleep in the van ,but — mixing.?
I can’t keep up with the latest news,

Strange isn’t it!
The taxi driver last week said he had been in Pakistan either two weeks ago
or for two weeks some time ago, I did not hear properly .
I was quite shocked ,and not a little apprehensive .
That was just about the incubation period !
Not sure everyone is  playing fair!
Iam running out of exclamation marks .
Just on news this minute ,not to travel out of Bolton !
But protests at the way the announcement was made - not exactly given full coverage .
Well I will send this with good wishes to everyone .
Take care .Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
Just by the by, Our Yorkshire  Farm,the children are doing a Nativity Play in the barn.
The littlest girl is Mary, she brings the baby from the crib ,her Mum sats “ Oh ,a baby boy ,what are you going to call it?”
“‘ Er,  um , er,  BOB!”
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 07:11 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D Kids are GREAT!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
Yes,all kids are but those on that remote farm are really super ,their Mum is fantastic and they are too .
O.K. We don’t see their quarrels ,and there will  be some most probably but they literally muck in, always look so clean and healthy.
I love the programme
Whew! Taking on another ruined farm with all they have to do already.
Last night the Christmas dinner was two roosters one child had reared.
The children took it in their stride ,the birds had a good free roaming life and their end was quick and merciful ,as much as it can ever be.
Amanda puts me to shame , she doesn’t look as if she has had one child let alone nine!
It makes you proud to be Northern , that part of Yorkshire ought to be in Lancashire- it is right over in our half!
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 12:11 BST (UK) »
You keep your hands off our treasures Viktoria!  ;D ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 14:43 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Viktoria.
It amazes me that their part of England is right over to the West.
Knowing some Yorkshire farmers they will have been moving  their  fenceposts surreptitiously for generations,I shouldn’t wonder!
No, just joking.
But what a lovely family the Owens are.

Well latest on Lunchtime News is there are no restrictions re certain areas which yesterday were seemingly going into measures.
Very confusing.
One thing laughs at another ,the Taxi driver had been to Pakistan recently ,
he was not clear ,either there two weeks ago or there for two weeks some time ago.
One company has bought out the majority of smaller Taxi firms and control a very large area.
The drivers are usually most polite etc but many will have celebrated Eid and some will have gone to Pakistan at some time fairly recently .
Perhaps there are testing measures in place ,I don’t know.
I was asked had I been in contact with anyone who had been to India yesterday, I said well the taxi driver has been to Pakistan recently !

Not had the results of the test yet ,need to know before Friday don’t I .
I am not getting out of bed at four O’Clock tomorrow to be ready for a taxi coming at six for operation at eight ,but I have to be ready two hours before the time given for taxi to arrive ,  ie six .
I shall be glad when tomorrow is over.
Well dry today at the moment ,but cool.
Not sunny either.
Oh the pesky squirrels !
My long awaited nasturtiums ,the little beggars are burying peanuts in their shells in the containers - soil all over the place .
I don’t put peanuts in their shells out for that reason ,cheeky monkeys coming into my garden ,!
 Bury  them where the nuts were put out in the first place .

Well must bat on, by the way ,that is nothing to do with cricket etc but is a textile term ,something to do with batting cloth.
I must look it up or I won’t  sleep tonight.
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hope all goes well, Viktoria
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)