Author Topic: Tom & Jack Shearing families  (Read 613 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tom & Jack Shearing families
« on: Tuesday 25 May 21 13:25 BST (UK) »
This 90 year old photo shows a couple of families fading away; especially my mother's Uncle Tom on the lefthand side.

I'm hoping somebody has time to resurrect them.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tom & Jack Shearing families
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 15:17 BST (UK) »

Offline hoobaloo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 15:53 BST (UK) »
A try from me, regards, John.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 01:22 BST (UK) »
I'm really pleased with the improvements.  Thank you so much japeflakes and John; I will do my usual and print both copies.

I can now see that the young lady to the left of my grandfather Jack (who is in the middle back row of the photo) is not my mother's sister Eva.

My grandmother is the careworn little lady standing in front of Jack.  It's unbelievable how much she has changed from the beautiful young mother shown in my avatar.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 10:21 BST (UK) »
I've tried to allow for the fact that they are posing in extremely strong sunlight coming from their right .. the consequence is to shield your face and eyes by turning left and screwing your eyes tighter, almost closed  ... almost a grimace.  So, unless she has had a stroke it could just be that the original picture's strong Contrast has been added to in an attempt for greater clarification but she has been the unwitting victim  ... so I've softened it a tad,  that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  cheersmedears, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 10:23 BST (UK) »
Rena, I think damage and lighting in the photo makes your grandmother look more "careworn" than she really was. Anyway, here's my interpretation. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian and Peter.

I appreciate your time and expertise.  Additionally, thanks for your thoughts on the situation when this photo was taken and also thoughts on the storage, (which I admit was not in a black cupboard).

My mother b1918, is the one wearing a check dress and looks as though she's been spruced up to visit relatives with her parents.   Uncle Tom and Aunt Laura had seven children.  Young Cecil , front right born 1929, hasn't travelled far from his own back door judging from the  colour of his knees. I don't recognise the brickwork and have been puzzling as to whether the photo was taken in Hull, Yorkshire, or Wisbech Cambridgeshire where gt. uncle Tom and his family lived when their children were young.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 15:57 BST (UK) »
A lovely family photo
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Pat,
It is a lovely family photo isn't it.

Thank you so much for your endeavours, which are appreciated.

As usual, this will be printed off to see what my copying machine/printer makes of it.  Sometimes the images it produces look nothing like they do on the screen for some reason.