Author Topic: Pryce Family - Mother and Daughters of Plasnewydd – Unusual Series of Events  (Read 531 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

This may just be of general interest, or specific interest to those researching the Pryce family of Plasnewydd, Llanedi, Carmathenshire. It relates to:

Elizabeth Pryce (nee Jones) who died 16 Dec 1836 (for reference she had a brother David Jones of Tynewydd, Llandebie), mother of:

Sarah Pryce who died 25 Jan 1834

Rachel Evans (nee Pryce) who died 08 Aug 1835

Administration of Sarah Pryce’s estate.
She died intestate and her “estate” was administered 3 times:

First on 7th Apr 1834 to Rachel Pryce (her sister, spinster at the time who later married a David Evans on 10 Feb 1835 (see earlier post)) for £100
Secondly on 2 July 1836 to her mother Elizabeth Price of Hendre issa for £450
Thirdly on 27 Nov 1837 for £450 to her Uncle David Jones of Tynewydd “left unadministered by Rachel Evans (nee Pryce) and subsequently by Elizabeth Pryce (nee Jones), both respectively deceased”

Rachel Pryce
Rachel actually left a will, the executor being her husband David Evan of Plasnewydd in which several Aunts and Uncles are mentioned, including her uncle David Jones of Tynewydd.

Elizabeth Pryce/Price

Elizabeth left a will with a front cover date 09 Dec 1836 (though there don’t seem to be any details of its contents on Ancestry) not administered until 17 June 1841 by her brother David Jones of Tynewydd for £200. Unusually, there is an additional page where Thomas Morris of Myddynfich of Llandebie “Executor an trustee of the last will and testament of Elizabeth Price late of Plasnewydd, Llandebie  .... but afterwards of Hendre issa, Llandebie”, “for certain reasons” “renounce and disclaim the execution of the said last will”

The certain reasons is unclear but I believe there was some disagreement between the Pryce family and a Berrington family on ownership of Plasnewydd.

Although the will was renounced I would have thought a copy of its contents would still exist? Ancestry doesn’t have it and NLW just has a blank page for her. I don’t know if other sites would have a more complete copy?

Also interested if anyone can find David Jones of Tynewydd, Llandebie in the 1841 census?