Author Topic: Mystery Mary  (Read 1510 times)

Offline MrsYC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Mary
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 18:05 BST (UK) »
My gran remembers someone saying she went off and married someone called Lewis in Halton

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hmm, well memory I'm afraid is a fickle thing.  I did check marriages in Cheshire up to 1939 but nothing showed up for a Mary E or Mary Elizabeth with any of her potential surnames.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Locket785

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am also related to Tom Mottershaw as he’s son was my Great Grandfather. All I know is Tom was brought up by his grandparents as a Hollingsworth and the whole family were known under this surname. When my grandfather Alec was due to get married in 1933 he asked for his birth certificate which showed he was a Mottershaw. I presume this is when the rest all decided to make the amendment. I believe that Tom’s mother was unmarried and for the sake of the baby give him to her parents. I too had drawn a loss in 1881 which is the last I can locate her. I don’t think the father was a mottershaw and that his was put on this birth certificate by his mother using her mother Ann’s maiden name mottershead and it was misspelled.
It for me will be the mystery I can’t fully fix

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 July 23 21:40 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I think this might be Mary getting married in 1888 to Joseph Lewis, very badly transcribed.

Marriage
Joseph LEWIS    Sep Q 1888    Runcorn    8a  318

FindMyPast and Familysearch have transcribed it as MARTINSCROFT. Ancestry and freebmd have transcribed it as MARTISKEUS which is how I see it. The image below is from the "Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1837-1915".

Cheshirebmd shows,

1888  Norley, St John
Joseph LEWIS      
Mary MARTISHEAR   

I can't find Norley marriage parish records to see who she says is her father or any other details.

There is a birth,

Fred LEWIS    Dec Q 1891    Runcorn    8a  237     
mmn:  HOLLINSWORTH

which may or may not be related. 

Cheshire bmd shows,

Sub-district:  Frodsham
Registers at Halton
Fred LEWIS

(Halton was in Runcorn registration district).

Still trying to find them in a later census, Fred had to be born after the 1891 census!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline MrsYC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 July 23 22:12 BST (UK) »
Wow Thankyou Daisy.

This definitely makes sense, my gran remembers hearing she married a Lewis I just never even thought surname Lewis! As for the Martiskeus that could definitely be her, my research shows that throughout the census her surname was spelled so differently it’s really confusing.

Thanks so much I’ll definitely be looking into this lead! Xx

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 July 23 23:31 BST (UK) »

I'm glad to have helped  :)

Cheshire Archives have the parish records for Norley, it might be worth giving them a call to see if they can help,

http://catalogue.cheshirearchives.org.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=P+314&pos=284

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Peter L. Mitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 July 23 23:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

This is all I could find in a search of the unassisted migrants to Australia (address at the top of the screenshot), covering 1880 to 1923. You might find your Mary under her married name of Lewis in here.

Good luck!

Peter

Offline Locket785

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 July 23 10:44 BST (UK) »
I have this as a potential late life marriage . I don’t see why she would use her mother’s maiden surname so I’ve just searched for Hollingsworth. It depends when she was suppose to have run off.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 July 23 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think Mary would use her mother's maiden name as she was born Mary Elizabeth MOTTERSHEAD, before Ann's marriage to Robert HOLLINGSWORTH. That would mean that even if she used her step-father's name her legal name would be Mary MOTTERSHAW (or variants). She knew this as she named her son Tom MOTTERSHEAR not HOLLINGSWORTH.

There is a Lewis and Mary E DANCER living in Doncaster, Yorkshire in 1939, this Mary was born in 1906. I think this might the couple you have found.

Daisy