Author Topic: Help reading crossed-out surname  (Read 726 times)

Offline middyb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help reading crossed-out surname
« on: Wednesday 26 May 21 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Hoping for some assistance to figure out the surname that is crossed out in the attached image? James ..... ?

This is a birth record from 1901 Waterside Londonderry. Areas of possible connection outside Waterside could be Drumeen /Dungloe Donegal or Ballymagorry /Strabane Tyrone area.

Kindly,
Middy

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Help reading crossed-out surname
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Middy, and welcome to RC.  :)

Any chance of a slightly larger snippet, so we can compare letters? I can't help but see something along the lines of Johannes, but I think my German surroundings are influencing me.  ;D

Thanks,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Middy, and welcome to RC.  :)

Any chance of a slightly larger snippet, so we can compare letters? I can't help but see something along the lines of Johannes, but I think my German surroundings are influencing me.  ;D

Thanks,
Karen

And welcome to Rootschat from me.

My first thought is Silmans, but, as Karen suggests, a larger snippet would be useful.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 13:55 BST (UK) »
I agree with philip [almost] 'Se(i)lmans' but reserve judgement till we can see more of the same hand.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 14:43 BST (UK) »
My first thoughts were that it could be Scl.....as
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline middyb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 15:17 BST (UK) »
Good morning everyone! Thank you so much for your willingness to help. This crossed out name is paternal grandfather's biological father (great-grandfather)

Here's the link to the original birth record, it's the first one: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1901/01965/1757878.pdf

I reviewed the handwriting of "Perry Asst. Registrar" from his other written records and concluded the first letter to likely be a "G", I'm not 100% sure of this of course.  Led me to consider Gilmour/Gilmour? But no strong Gilmour/Gilmore lines in the DNA results. Lots of Gallaghers tho! :)

Some additional information in case it is helpful with location connections as hints:

- I believe I've traced Kate Boner (great grandmother) via 1901 census records and DNA back to Dungloe, Donegal, born in 1878 to John Boner and mother Catherine (O'Donnell), but not 100% sure it's her.  I located the baptismal record for John James Bonner St Columb’s Church on Chapel Road, Waterside Derry with Catherine as mother. I cannot find any trace of her after this. I continue to search for her.

- Grandfather grew up in Ballymagorry. He is in the 1901 census with his mother Catherine and next appears in the 1911 Census as Johnie Bonar age 10, boarder with Hugh and Annie Devine. Various school records as John James Devine until his passage to Canada in June 1926 as John James Devine.

Thank you again for your help on this!

Best,
Middy

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 May 21 05:45 BST (UK) »
I'll toss in 'Fellows'.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 May 21 09:12 BST (UK) »
I'm still seeing Selmans after a day of looking at it on and off!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 May 21 10:58 BST (UK) »
My first thought was Gilmour also - before I read your reply #5 -  but I couldn't find any "G's" on the page to compare.
Then Filmour, but there is an "F" for father on the third entry.
Then I thought the first letter of the name looked like the other "T's" on the page, but then it would have to be Tilman, and the ending does not look like "man" to me.

So, I'd go with Gilmour also. Are there any men named James Gilmour in the area?