Author Topic: Help reading crossed-out surname  (Read 734 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help reading crossed-out surname
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 May 21 11:01 BST (UK) »
If you can't account for the Gallagher DNA and it is a close enough link, then maybe look for a James Gilmour with Gallaghers in his ancestry.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 May 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
Or the father's name really was Gallagher and he didn't tell Kate the truth, or Kate didn't tell the registrar the truth.

Do the Gallagher DNA links go back to this area of Londonderry or to Dungloe, Donegal? If so, you might need to look at the Gallagher trees more than your own family's for a while to see if you can find a possible father.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 May 21 11:21 BST (UK) »
Did Kate/Catherine have links to any families living in Cuthbert Street at the time?

Did she have links to the family you believe John James is with in 1911, given they are in County Tyrone and none, other than John, seem to have links with Londonderry or indeed, Donegal?

Any names of sponsors on baptism record?

Have you ruled out the death of a  24yr old spinster Catherine in Fahan in 1909?

His last address on going to Canada in 1926 was in Strabane, did he move there for work or could he have had relations there?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 May 21 11:40 BST (UK) »
For reference, the records middyb is using:

1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Cuthbert_Street/1539951/
Catherine has been recorded as married, albeit isn't on birth record for John James.

1911 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Ballymagorry/Milltown/849805/
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 May 21 14:53 BST (UK) »
Did your grandfather have any sons? Are they alive? If not, did they have sons who are alive?
If you have a male descendant in the male line from your grandfather you could have his y-DNA tested. That could provide a good clue to who your grandfather's father was, since the y-DNA is passed only from father to son.

Offline middyb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 May 21 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hello again everyone! Thank you again for your insights and help on this.

After arriving in Canada, John James settled in Toronto and had 6 children (3 boys / 3 girls) There are male descendants, two have been tested so far. They are haplogroup R-Z255 (Irish Sea). I'm hoping more of them will get tested and will take a specific y-DNA too. This will definitely help things!

Now that you've reminded me of this, I've checked both the Gilmore/Gilmore and Gallagher family DNA projects and they're not R-Z255. All these Gallagher matches must come from Catherine's side in Donegal. I'll do some more digging on the R-Z255 in the DNA matches we do have and see if I can get anywhere with this marker.

For Catherine / Kate - I'll look for the 1909 death and see if may be her. Thank you for this as well!