Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 25th May.  (Read 673 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 25th May.
« on: Wednesday 26 May 21 07:41 BST (UK) »
Yesterday was fairly similar to Monday here: (Cold, grey and mainly wet, until dancing practice had been cancelled after which we ended with a sunny evening and a clear blue sky.)
Notable additions to the above for Tuesday were, getting out early to do the weekly grocery shop. Not many customers, but lots of staff activity probably due to greater on-line ordering it being month end pay day time I expect.
Went over to Totnes, it was very busy there and the historic main street is narrow, so I didn't find it very restful, however I struck lucky in finding the "Thursday Murder Club" in a charity shop.
After lunch the Postie delivered the monthly Covid anti-body test kits, so we went for a swift walk in the rain to get the blood pumping, then attempted the test and managed sufficient samples, which we took to a post box in continuing rain.
I started my new book, and am enjoying it very much.
More heavy and prolonged rain meant that the evening dance practice moved from the day before was cancelled again.
The evening turned out clear and sunny.
Swifts have arrived, (so it really SHOULD be Summer now,) and they were wheeling around high above the cliff walk feeding, while the full moon rising looked spectacular in a clear sky, as the evening sun disappeared below the horizon, turning the reflection on the water from  pink to silver.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 25th May.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 09:40 BST (UK) »
Frustrating isn't it MH, that the weather works against you like that? Hope you get your dance practice soon. Are the antibody tests for a research project? Presumably they are if you're doing them monthly. It's interesting how much is going on behind the scenes, we don't generally realise how much the scientists are doing to help us, I  applaud them. Great find at the charity shop, I haven't read that one yet.
My Tuesday was a frustrating one too:

A day of enforced rest due to the fact that it kept raining which meant I couldn't get out for a walk or do any gardening. My friend J and I were unable to make any definite plans for our evening walk as the showers were so unpredictable.

Had a phone call from the asthma nurse after lunch, I'd had to fill in a form so they could asses whether they needed to see me for my annual assessment.  She said she didn't need to see me but asked some additional questions. All being well I'll just get a phone next year. This is one appointment that I don't mind doing over the phone.

Dyed some black jeans in the washer, they were getting faded, put some other items in too. Was about to try and tackle the preparations needed for the next art class when my friend L phoned, she was floundering with it too. We talked at length by which time I said I was probably going to procrastinate on the art project, I wasn't in the mood.

It had stopped raining at one point but more was expected,  J and I decided we'd leave our walk till Thursday. Put my mind to it and did a bit of the art work. I hadn't been out all day except to the bin, I get like Bob and the other dogs these days, I sulk if I can't get out for a walk. By 5.30 the rain hadn't arrived, it was clearing out so off I went for a short walk, it was so good to be out.

Watched the second episode of Long Lost Family: Born Without a Trace. I can't imagine how hard it must be for foundlings.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 09:50 BST (UK) »
Good news that the asthma is under control Roobarb, and well done for starting the new art project... I hope you feel you have made a good start.

The Covid anti-body testing is being run by University College London.(UCL) They have been sending out weekly questionnaires since the first lockdown, and send notification of anti-bodies by text, but they don't specify levels, so we don't know how well we have responded to the vaccines.  I guess they are looking for specific stats and as you say Roobarb, it is good there is so much research being conducted.

Fingers crossed, might get a practice on Friday..... and might have to stop using the P word as I get confused with spelling, which has never been my strongest skill.  ;)  I have looked it up, and know the difference, but probably won't remember!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 10:27 BST (UK) »
Oh dear MH and Roobarb sorry to hear you had such awful days yesterday.... thinking back to last year it was in the 20’s and we were outside all the time... still the weather looks promising for the weekend...although I’m sure you’ll not want the crowds MH!

Having spent Monday washing... or dashing in and out putting it on and off the line, respinning and eventually gave up and hung it indoors! Cleaning too...

Tuesday was a nice change as I went to C’s house up the lane for our usual get together for coffee... no worrying about sitting outside and would we get wet... we sat in her conservatory along with friend H too. S is away up in Whitby with her extended family to celebrate her FiL 90th birthday... she sent a pic of her daughter and niece splashing around in the sea 😱😱they must be bonkers ...anyway I digress, we had a could old chin wag and it was lunchtime by the time I walked home...
After lunch I sat in the conservatory to read and finished my book, very lazy I know but it was warm and enjoyable.
We went up the garden OH put his poles in ready for the runner beans which are growing nicely in the shed.... he planted some toms and we put netting under the strawberries to stop the slugs getting them 😂😂... more of the sweet peas he planted are poking their heads through so along with the three of mine that are growing we should be able to make a good show 🤞just got to decide where and what we’re going to put them!
We got back inside and it rained so we managed to do what we needed... looking forward to some warmth in a the coming days to get outside!
Dinner I put a herb crust of red peppers, chives, Parmesan, breadcrumbs and mixed with some Greek yogurt to stick it together on some salmon then baked in the oven with some new pots, mushrooms and peppers, lots green veg to accompany.
We watched tv... series called The Pact which is quite good seen four episodes so far and still not worked out who the perpetrator is....

Hope you both have a better day weather wise today and are able to get out as I know it means a lot to you both... enjoy your dancing MH and Roobarb don’t get in too much of a lather over your painting project!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
I’m interested in the antibody tests too MH. Is it just questionnaires or is there more to it?

Roobarb, I’m going to call you Roo”bob” on inclement days, but I bet your’re not short with a white furry face and a perky little tail I know you really miss your lovely walks, especially those with your friend. Good news that your asthma seems to be under control. That must be a relief.

My Tuesday - I took my daughter to the hospital to get her covid vaccination. She was going to drive herself but I thought that it would be less stressful for her if I drive her, and save her paying hospital parking fees by parking at the shopping centre opposite and doing some browsing. Her partner was booked to get his jab later that afternoon at a different hospital. Because they are both youngsters they have to get the Pfizer as AZ is no longer being given to anyone under 50. I think there are fewer places administering this vaccine compared to the AZ. Daughter and partner are going on holiday at the end of July and I think they wanted to get the jabs out of the way to reduce the possibility of contracting the virus whilst away.  Mind you, they are only going to South Australia, not overseas, but outbreaks and lockdowns can and do happen at short notice.  ;)

Watched another episode of “The Pact” - am quite enjoying it.

Dog was very stupid on her walk. She barked at a small girl on a scooter. Luckily the girl’s father seemed quite relaxed about it, but these things can escalate. Of course I apologised. I think the scooter must have set her off. Silly dog.

Cooked a polenta cake as requested by OH for his birthday on Wednesday.  :)

Added: I’ve just seen your post Caroline. Your veg and flowers sound wonderful. I know you all complain about the rain, but your plants will love it. Snap with watching The Pact. I have no idea who did it either, however by using flashbacks and alternate view points it changes the dynamic somewhat (making it even harder to guess “whodunnit”).

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 14:30 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you Caroline, sounds like a pleasing day, and Ruskie always helpful to your offspring.... I quite wish you were my Ma.
Ref the anti-body testing... a weekly questionnaire for about 12 months by now, and we just completed the 4th blood sample test.  Have to manage to get a few ml of blood from a finger prick into a tiny tube, and post it back for analysis.
Then a few days later we get a text to say if anti-bodies have been detected, but no information as to level of same.
Beginning with sample kit which arrived 2 weeks after FIRST vac, and at 4 week intervals since then.
Hope that explains all in a satisfactory manner Ruskie?

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
I was asked if I would do one of those tests MH, I agreed to it, it didn't show antibodies but it was shortly after my first vaccination and apparently is nothing to worry about as the level they're looking for is higher than it would be at that stage. I was then told that I wouldn't be required to do any further testing so it would seem that your further tests are perhaps to see how long the antibodies last.

How lovely to be able to just drop round and see your friend Caroline. I agree that your friend's daughters and niece must be bonkers, Whitby isn't far from here and it's certainly not bathing weather, especially in the North Sea! The sea is cold even on the hottest days, brrrr!

Ruskie, I love the RooBob name!  ;D Plenty of opportunity to use it lately.
I'm sure your daughter will have appreciated your driving her for her jab, great that she's taking measures to keep herself and others safe.

I watched the first three episodes of The Pact but had sort of given up on it, the idea that a bunch of grown women would have got themselves into that situation seemed a bit daft. A friend told me that there are more facets of the characters coming out, maybe I'll try it again.

Have calmed down about my art work Caroline.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 May 21 02:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation about the antibody test MH. I googled after you first mentioned it and the results I got from Australian sites gave me the impression that they were for professional use only. I think that sort of testing of sample populations would be useful everywhere - I haven’t heard of it being done here. You are very brave taking your own blood via a prick test. I’m a bit squeamish I must admit.

I’m happy to help out my girls when I can - the younger one is more keen to take any help offered, the older one not so much. ;D They’re both good kids.

Roobobbarb,  I thought the same about the mess that the women in The Pact have got themselves into. It did seem a bit silly. Episode four gives a bit of background, and I expect it will all become clearer by the end of the series.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 May 21 07:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation about the antibody test MH. I googled after you first mentioned it and the results I got from Australian sites gave me the impression that they were for professional use only. I think that sort of testing of sample populations would be useful everywhere - I haven’t heard of it being done here. You are very brave taking your own blood via a prick test. I’m a bit squeamish I must admit.

I’m happy to help out my girls when I can - the younger one is more keen to take any help offered, the older one not so much. ;D They’re both good kids.   

I get the impression that H volunteered to help the research project..... quite likely he saw it on Linkedin which is deemed for "professionals" though anyone can join that. Don't know really. I am happy to be helping with the research.