Author Topic: Allen 1841 please  (Read 1138 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Allen 1841 please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 May 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
I wonder why Jonas/Josias changed his name

My guess is that "Jonas" is a mistranscription.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 May 21 20:02 BST (UK) »
Re. what if anything going on in Battle and district at the time, it might be worth contacting the Battle & District Historical Society to see if they have any info about epidemics etc. at the time.

Unfortunately the burials transcription for Battle St Mary's is in christian name order not date so it's exceedingly awkward to determine if there were larger than normal burials occurring - this caused me no end of issues tracing my ancestors in the area.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 May 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
Re. what if anything going on in Battle and district at the time, it might be worth contacting the Battle & District Historical Society to see if they have any info about epidemics etc. at the time.

Unfortunately the burials transcription for Battle St Mary's is in christian name order not date so it's exceedingly awkward to determine if there were larger than normal burials occurring - this caused me no end of issues tracing my ancestors in the area.

If you are using the SFHG database you can sort by forename, surname or date order.

Choose the parish, choose baptisms or burials. When you have chosen the year group you will get the title. Look for the book symbol to the right, click on the book and you will get the list...along the top are the choices .

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 May 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
Well I never knew you could sort like that, thanks for the tip Suey.

That would have saved me many, many frustrating hours years ago when I was looking for my Battle ancestors.