Author Topic: Bridget MURPHY in Seaham and Sunderland 1860s, who is she?  (Read 1018 times)

guest259648

Bridget MURPHY in Seaham and Sunderland 1860s, who is she?
« on: Wednesday 26 May 21 18:14 BST (UK) »
Please help me find any trace of Bridget MURPHY born around 1840.
Father: Matthew MURPHY "Labourer at a corn mill"

Bridget Murphy married Henry MCATAMINEY in 1862 in Sunderland, St Mary's Catholic Chapel.
I have obtained the marriage certificate.

In 1862 Bridget Murphy is apparently 22, a spinster. Residence at time of marriage: Seaham Harbour.
In 1862 Henry McAtaminey, 28, is a Mariner (bachelor), residence Mill Street Sunderland, and his father is given as James McAtaminey (deceased), agricultural labourer.

Henry McAtaminey wrote his own name very beautifully. His surname is spelled 'McTaminey' on the certificate but has been officially corrected to McAtaminey, which matches what he wrote.
I can't find any convincing trace of this Henry apart from his presence on the 1862 marriage certificate.

Looking at the originals (not the indexes) I have carefully looked through the entire 1851 and 1861 censuses (Seaham, Dawdon) for a Bridget Murphy, and I can only see a Bridget Murphy aged 18 at Seaton Collery with her mother Elizabeth (widow) and brother Michael Murphy (coal miner), a family from County Meath. On the 1862 certificate the groom's father is marked as deceased but the bride's father is not marked deceased, so if these coal-mining Murphys were our Bridget's family, her mother Elizabeth Murphy would not have been a widow in 1862. Also this Bridget would be 3 years too young, however I've sometimes seen girls increase their age on a certificate when marrying an older man.

Helpful names: witnesses to the 1862 marriage are a Bridget Lawless and a John Reilley. 

So, please help: where is Bridget Murphy's family - at any point?
Who was her father Matthew Murphy, labourer at a corn mill?
What happened to the married couple Henry & Bridget McAtaminey after 1862?

I'm stuck!

Thank you.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget MURPHY in Seaham and Sunderland 1860s, who is she?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 18:37 BST (UK) »
Ancestry tree has them leaving for America, New York, 1867.  They settle in Chicago, Cook, Illinois.

Tree states 4 children born, 2 in England, 2 in USA. Needs to be verified.

Variation of surname, but it seems to be McTaminey

Only have access to UK info/census, there are a few trees on Ancestry with this couple. You could also ask for a look up on the USA board, or try familysearch.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 20:10 BST (UK) »
As Cas mentions, there looks to have been a move to Chicago, Illinois. From the family trees, Henry McTaminey is showing as having died there in 1870. A second marriage for Bridget in 1875 to a Patrick Downey on 29 Jan 1875.

1880 census in the US with Bridget's mother in the household www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXJM-1ZX

Daughter Elizabeth's marriage in 1891 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XZQ4-2XQ She was born 8 Nov 1869 in Chicago

1900 Census www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MS35-VWJ

1910 Census www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKH2-DY4

From her death entry on the index:

Bridget Devin?Y b. 1841 in Ireland, age 73
Death Date on 7 Aug 1914 Maywood, Cook, Illinois
Burial 9 Aug 1914 at Mt Carmel
Widowed
Father Mathew Murphy b. Ireland
Mother ? b. Ireland

Cemetery details www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2727864/mt-carmel-catholic-cemetery

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 20:37 BST (UK) »
I hadn't been able to find the family in 1870 but I have now found them under the surname McDonnell?

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M67V-Z2R

Young Matthew looks to have died c. 1872 going by the family trees available. Haven't spotted his death so far on the index.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest259648

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 20:42 BST (UK) »
As Cas mentions, there looks to have been a move to Chicago, Illinois. From the family trees, Henry McTaminey is showing as having died there in 1870. A second marriage for Bridget in 1875 to a Patrick Downey on 29 Jan 1875.

1880 census in the US with Bridget's mother in the household www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXJM-1ZX

Daughter Elizabeth's marriage in 1891 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XZQ4-2XQ She was born 8 Nov 1869 in Chicago

Widowed
Mother ? b. Ireland

Cemetery details www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2727864/mt-carmel-catholic-cemetery

Monica

It's very kind of you to quote these details, however as I've written in the previous post, I have gone deeper into the tree you've found and it doesn't seem at all secure. The emigration details don't match a Henry. The 1870 census has the wrong surname. Other, later census entries which the American family has suggested also don't match up.

D

guest259648

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 20:46 BST (UK) »
I hadn't been able to find the family in 1870 but I have now found them under the surname McDonnell?

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M67V-Z2R

Young Matthew looks to have died c. 1872 going by the family trees available. Haven't spotted his death so far on the index.

Monica

I've checked all this out and I really don't feel this is the right family. I think it's a McDonnell family as stated, a different group of people.

D

guest259648

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 20:48 BST (UK) »
Ancestry tree has them leaving for America, New York, 1867.  They settle in Chicago, Cook, Illinois.

Tree states 4 children born, 2 in England, 2 in USA. Needs to be verified.

Variation of surname, but it seems to be McTaminey

Only have access to UK info/census, there are a few trees on Ancestry with this couple. You could also ask for a look up on the USA board, or try familysearch.

Cas

Cas
I have dug much deeper into this tree and it doesn't stack up. The details don't match. Some inspired guesses from the USA, perhaps, but it doesn't look secure enough to me. E.g. the 'evidence of emigration' is based on a BERNARD + 2 children leaving from Glasgow, not a Henry...and no wife's name, no Bridget.  There is a Bernard who matches the emigration record, but he seems to be son of a Hugh, not a James, and we need James.

D

guest259648

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 20:56 BST (UK) »

Widowed
Mother ? b. Ireland

Monica

It's very kind of you to quote these details, however as I've written in the previous post, I have gone deeper into the tree you've found and it doesn't seem at all secure. The emigration details don't match a Henry. The 1870 census has the wrong surname. Other, later census entries which the American family has suggested also don't match up.

D

I am fully prepared to be wrong!! (I sometimes am.)  The Will supplied on the Ancestry tree is for a 'Bridget Murphy', however she'd already married once and possibly twice.  There's no death date or circumstances suggested for Henry McAtaminey's demise, no birth year suggested either, and, since this US family seems to think it knows so much about itself, I find it hard to accept that they would have no idea what happened to Henry, if this were the right family.
Happy to be proved wrong.
D

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 21:03 BST (UK) »
Just to note there's an irish born  Bridget McAtaminey and family in Dumbarton, but she appears to be wife of Hugh and probably with maiden name Scullion