Author Topic: Bridget MURPHY in Seaham and Sunderland 1860s, who is she?  (Read 1028 times)

guest259648

Re: Bridget MURPHY in Seaham and Sunderland 1860s, who is she?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 21:08 BST (UK) »
As Cas mentions, there looks to have been a move to Chicago, Illinois. From the family trees, Henry McTaminey is showing as having died there in 1870. A second marriage for Bridget in 1875 to a Patrick Downey on 29 Jan 1875.

1880 census in the US with Bridget's mother in the household www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXJM-1ZX

Daughter Elizabeth's marriage in 1891 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XZQ4-2XQ She was born 8 Nov 1869 in Chicago

1900 Census www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MS35-VWJ

1910 Census www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKH2-DY4

From her death entry on the index:

Bridget Devin?Y b. 1841 in Ireland, age 73
Death Date on 7 Aug 1914 Maywood, Cook, Illinois
Burial 9 Aug 1914 at Mt Carmel
Widowed
Father Mathew Murphy b. Ireland
Mother ? b. Ireland

Cemetery details www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2727864/mt-carmel-catholic-cemetery

Monica

It's very kind of you to quote these details, however as I've written in the previous post, I have gone deeper into the tree you've found and it doesn't seem at all secure. The emigration details don't match a Henry. The 1870 census has the wrong surname. Other, later census entries which the American family has suggested also don't match up.

D

I am fully prepared to be wrong!! (I sometimes am.)  The Will supplied on the Ancestry tree is for a 'Bridget Murphy', however she'd already married once and possibly twice.  There's no death date or circumstances suggested for Henry McAtaminey's demise, no birth year suggested either, and, since this US family seems to think it knows so much about itself, I find it hard to accept that they would have no idea what happened to Henry, if this were the right family.
Happy to be proved wrong.
D

Also, another Ancestry tree based on the idea that 'Bernard' emigrated to the USA, shows Henry (not Bernard) McAtaminey as a Captain in the civil war...I thought the war ended 1865? and so how does this couple get wed 1862, have 2 kids in England and also allow Henry to be a soldier at Captain level... can't be correct...

In addition, the "McDonnell" family on the 1870 show the father, Henry, working in a store - I don't see a Mariner working in a store, do you?  Just trying to show where things don't quite feel right, with these extended trees. D

guest259648

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 21:12 BST (UK) »
Just to note there's an irish born  Bridget McAtaminey and family in Dumbarton, but she appears to be wife of Hugh and probably with maiden name Scullion

Thank you :-)
It's always helpful to find more McAtamineys because they are quite rare in England.  Does it give any county of birth for this Bridget, please?
D

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 21:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry - no place of birth.

It's fairly clear from other records for baptisms of their children that Hugh married Bridget Scullion

guest259648

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 22:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry - no place of birth.

It's fairly clear from other records for baptisms of their children that Hugh married Bridget Scullion

That's OK! So not Murphy, but still useful: to try and understand the presence of the Henry we have here, I've been collecting members of the McAtaminey (and variant) clan, to try & find their origins; there are only a handful of them in England, and they seem to be from a fairly limited area of County Derry, just above Lough Neagh.

guest259648

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 22:44 BST (UK) »

From her death entry on the index:

Bridget Devin?Y b. 1841 in Ireland, age 73
Death Date on 7 Aug 1914 Maywood, Cook, Illinois
Burial 9 Aug 1914 at Mt Carmel
Widowed
Father Mathew Murphy b. Ireland
Mother ? b. Ireland

MonicaL
Please tell me where you have seen these details (death index?)
Are the question marks on the index or are they your own?
Thank you

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 May 21 09:27 BST (UK) »

1880 census in the US with Bridget's mother in the household www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXJM-1ZX

The address for the above quoted family is 86 Edgar Street.

From various Chicago directories:

McTaminey Bridget, wid Henry, r Edgar, nr Bloomingdale Rd.

McTaminey, Bridget, wid. Henry r 35 Edgar
Murphy, Elizabeth, wid Matthias, r 35 Edgar

Murphy, Elizabeth, wid. Matthew, house 86 Edgar

Murphy, Elizabeth , wid Matthew h 713 N. Ashland Ave.

I believe that your Bridget did move to Chicago; whether or not she should be in that family tree mentioned over several prior posts is another story.  They may have just conflated two (or more!) families to "fit".   
The above directory entries just seem to be beyond coincidence with Bridget McTaminey, wid Henry, and Elizabeth Murphy, wid Matthew living in the same house.

They may have crossed the ocean to Canada, and then went down to the US. Passage was much cheaper that way. Unfortunately, there are few Canadian ship records for that time period. I had no luck searching for the ship record for Elizabeth Murphy, only because there were sooo many with that name.

On a side note, although the spelling McatAminey is rare in the UK, the spelling McatOminey  yields a fair amount (at least in Durham).

guest259648

« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 May 21 10:54 BST (UK) »

The address for the above quoted family is 86 Edgar Street.

From various Chicago directories:

McTaminey Bridget, wid Henry, r Edgar, nr Bloomingdale Rd.

McTaminey, Bridget, wid. Henry r 35 Edgar
Murphy, Elizabeth, wid Matthias, r 35 Edgar

Murphy, Elizabeth, wid. Matthew, house 86 Edgar

Murphy, Elizabeth , wid Matthew h 713 N. Ashland Ave.

I believe that your Bridget did move to Chicago; whether or not she should be in that family tree mentioned over several prior posts is another story.  They may have just conflated two (or more!) families to "fit".   
The above directory entries just seem to be beyond coincidence with Bridget McTaminey, wid Henry, and Elizabeth Murphy, wid Matthew living in the same house.

They may have crossed the ocean to Canada, and then went down to the US. Passage was much cheaper that way. Unfortunately, there are few Canadian ship records for that time period. I had no luck searching for the ship record for Elizabeth Murphy, only because there were sooo many with that name.

On a side note, although the spelling McatAminey is rare in the UK, the spelling McatOminey  yields a fair amount (at least in Durham).

bbart
Thank you so much for your skill !
This is marvellous.
Yes, I've been told that many Derry families took the Canada option first and shifted down to the USA later.

Looking at the spread of details here, the "widow Elizabeth Murphy + Matthias", plus "Bridget McTaminey widow Henry", is what clinches it for me - and yes, I can see they really did emigrate.
Thank you for showing me real evidence.
So the directories local to Chicago confirm it. (Will bear this in mind, you've taught  me something useful.)

I live in County Durham and here we have, as you correctly point out, McAtOmin[e]y families (this also contracts to McTomney in my particular town.)

However, I'm still confused. WHO is this Bridget who went to Canada/USA?  Yes, a Bridget Murphy definitely crossed the ocean with a Henry Mc(A)taminey, but who was she, when on UK soil? The Bridget Murphy I can see at Seaton Colliery - in Office Row (later Post Office Row) - was 18 on the 1861 census, too young for the Sunderland marriage; this girl's brother was working at Seaton pit which is right next to Seaham pit, not too far from Seaham Harbour but separated from it.  The Elizabeth (b.1817 County Meath) who is this Bridget's mother isn't nearly old enough to be the Elizabeth Murphy who you've shown me to be in Chicago.  So there are 2 different families, surely, woven together on the Ancestry trees? - creating a confusing picture for those of us looking in.

But we still need a BRIDGET MURPHY, aged 22 in 1862, who was around in Seaham/Sunderland in the right place & period to be able to meet Henry the Mariner, from Mill Street Sunderland (this was mainly a street of lodging houses for people of many nationalities).

I know Seaham lacked a Catholic Church until the 1880s, and they built one specially for the enlarging Irish community. In the meantime the Catholics had to use a Seaham barn to worship in (!) or travel to Sunderland to worship in a proper manner. I wonder if this Bridget & Henry attended the same church (and got married in it?)

Where else can we look for this Bridget? What might a lass aged 21 or 22 be doing, in this time-period? 

By the way I've found a 22-year-old Bridget Lawless (which is the name of one of the witnesses) in Ryhope [close to Seaham] in domestic service in 1861.

Very grateful for your ideas.
D x

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 May 21 15:35 BST (UK) »
I think you have discounted Bridget in 1861 3751/75/43 but I just offer this to consider:

Beauparc parish, Meath. https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0910

Michael Murphy 1st November 1838 - parents Mathew and Elizabeth Cartin

Bridget Murphy baptised 21 May 1841 - parents Matthew and Betty Carty

Ann Murphy 13th June 1847 -parents Mathew  and Betty Carton

There is also a nephew in the household - Michl Shanley 27 yrs

There is a Bridget Shanley in that parish with parents  William and Rose Cartin. She may be sister to Michael.

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0910

There is also this:
1861  3751/75/41
John 24 yrs and Winnifred Murphy - a marriage for them in Easington district 1860

Back in the parish in Meath
John Murphy baptised 26th November 1833 - parents Mathew and Elizabeth Cartin

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest259648

« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:24 BST (UK) »
I think you have discounted Bridget in 1861 3751/75/43 but I just offer this to consider:

Beauparc parish, Meath. https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0910

Michael Murphy 1st November 1838 - parents Mathew and Elizabeth Cartin

Bridget Murphy baptised 21 May 1841 - parents Matthew and Betty Carty

Ann Murphy 13th June 1847 -parents Mathew  and Betty Carton

There is also a nephew in the household - Michl Shanley 27 yrs

There is a Bridget Shanley in that parish with parents  William and Rose Cartin. She may be sister to Michael.

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0910

There is also this:
1861  3751/75/41
John 24 yrs and Winnifred Murphy - a marriage for them in Easington district 1860

Back in the parish in Meath
John Murphy baptised 26th November 1833 - parents Mathew and Elizabeth Cartin

heywood, bless you
I think you've hit on something here... I'm getting excited...

Cartin/Carty/Carton, same surname I should think.

There aren't as many Mat(t)hews as I thought, when looking at the Irish registers, so a Matthew + Elizabeth is a very useful find.

I seem to remember, though, that on one of the USA censuses that the American family have provided via Ancestry, the Elizabeth Murphy who was living with Bridget  Murphy/McAtaminey/Downey (Deviney) was 82 at that point, which would have given this Elizabeth-in-the-USA a birth year of 1798, far too old for the Elizabeth at Seaton Colliery. I could be wrong. I'll go back and look again.

Remembering the Seaton Colliery census entry 1861, [Post] Office Row: a few doors down from Elizabeth + Bridget + Michael Murphy I do remember a John Murphy also from Meath... and I did wonder if this is Elizabeth's son who's recently got wed. It feels so, doesn't it. Thank you for finding the marriage entry for John + Winnifred, I will have a look; Easington is next to Seaham, it has a church with square tower on a hill; big mining community (as was), all landscaped into a Country Park now.

The Bridget who was baptised in Meath seems suspiciously similar to the Bridget who's at Seaton Colliery, don't you think? If it's all the same girl, it's the given ages which don't tally: baptised 1841 in Meath, but then only 18 on the 1861 (why?), and a leap to 22 in Feb 1862 (marriage)...

If this is the right (one and only) Bridget, where is her father Matthew, when his family are at the Seaton mine? Has he died before the family came to England?
The Elizabeth at Seaton is a widow on the 1861, however the Bridget who wed in 1862 didn't state 'father deceased'.

Just thinking aloud! Heywood what do you feel?

D