Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 26th May  (Read 698 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 26th May
« on: Wednesday 26 May 21 23:41 BST (UK) »
Grey, gloomy and cold for most of the day. Received a text from the opticians to say that my glasses were ready and asking me to phone to make an appointment to collect them. Made one for early afternoon.

Went for a walk, it was very quiet. Had lunch then went to the opticians, I allowed extra time as I knew there were roadworks holding the traffic up on my way. I wasn't there for long before the lights turned green and I was through. However, I didn't know that there were more roadworks on the roundabout in the village, had to wait a while there and then go the wrong way round the roundabout. Was still early so waited in the car, was in and out of the opticians in a very short time.

Had taken a different jacket with me as I wanted to buy some compost from the nurseries, I was glad of the extra warmth when I changed into it. Drove to the nurseries, it was almost deserted. The best days to visit are always when the weather isn't good, I'm sure it'll be busy at the weekend when there's an improvement in the forecast. Bought some more bedding plants despite not having been able to plant the others yet, and two large bags of compost, had to check that I could lift them first.

Returned home, unloaded the car then did some work on my tonal drawing. It was almost 4pm before the weather cleared, went out to do some gardening for an hour. Planted one of the very large pots, emptied the tulips from another. Next time I might plant something that doesn't go so deep, the big bulbs are a devil to get out of the large pots. The sun came out briefly.

My friend J is off work tomorrow so we arranged to go for our walk mid afternoon, that'll be nice and the forecast is good.
Watched the Sewing Bee, more idiotic dressing up and prancing around by the presenter, another 'rawredge' by Esme. The sewing is generally better but there was one of the shirts that the judges were critical of but didn't mention one thing  - it looked very much to me like the nearest sleeve was on backwards. A professional eye from Caroline required!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 26th May
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 May 21 00:28 BST (UK) »
I’m not sure about my critical eye on backwards sleeves... I must have fallen asleep at that point as I hadn’t noticed! I thought the garment of the week should have gone to the other chap but there were three that were well made so hard to choose! Couldn’t agree more about the presenter!

Glad your trip to collect your glasses was quick despite the road works... you must have shares in that nursery with all your plant buying!

OH had gone to golf by the time I got up... I’d had a message to sat Tesco would be delivering between 11-12 ... after breakfast I got some washing out on the line, lovely and sunny but there’s still a bit of a chill in the air...
Had a good dust and polish then decided the kitchen needed a thorough clean... that took me until well after lunch... stopping to put all my shopping away... finished off washing the kitchen floor and brought the washing in as it had clouded over and was looking pretty dark... again! Justin time as it started to rain!
Made my lunch and OH arrived home so made his too...
Went to do my ironing and watched a programme on Netflix,similar format to Bake off, Sewing Bee etc only this time an American one with glass blowers... very skill full... made a birthday card for J will drop it in on Friday ... she’s got her last appointment re her shoulder opp ... drove for the first time the other day, said it had been nearly a year since she’d driven... unbelievable!
Had message from M’s wife H to say that his bloods are causing problems so doesn’t look like he’ll be home on Friday.... know he’ll be heartbroken as he was so looking forward to some decent food! Keeping fingers crossed they can sort him out.
I made chilli for dinner which we had with jacket potatoes and green..
Watched usual tv..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 May 21 00:41 BST (UK) »
I once bought a lovely coat ,it was too long for me and I needed it before the shop could alter it.
I did it myself .
There was something odd about one sleeve though ,turned it inside out as best I could and yes,it was in back to front ,back to shop ,they did not want to do anything about it as I had altered it ,but I refused to leave without a refund.
I ought to have charged them for the alteration!

Cold here too ,but some afternoon sunshine .
Washed the small mat from the bathroom ,don’t put it in the washer as it sends the drum off kilter , though small it is heavy when wet .Has been oh the line but inside now on the maiden dripping onto a towel .

Spoke to a barky dog today ,he is lovely but erratic behaviour ,a Cockerpoo .

Not sure what is happening re Covid hereabouts now ,all panic one day and not the next.
Hope FH can come to see me, and weather is good enough if we must be outside.
I know what is causing the bad weather,I got a new garden parasol for my Birthday!
Whenever I opened the old one it rained!
I have not yet opened this one and it is working it’s naughty tricks.

If anyone watched the football,what a lot of goals in the shoot off!
I was speaking to my sister who had watched the match ,and she related how many each.

Well just written a note to myself to phone FH’s Daddy in the morning,he is 30 ,I mentioned this in a previous post I now recall !  ::)
No news really , so thanks for yours folks and a Good Night  to you all,
Viktoria.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 May 21 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hope you are happy with your glasses Roobarb. I’m generally not when I get new ones. I had to get prescription multifocal sunglasses last time and they are awful. I googled to find out what the problem was and believe it is called chromatic abberation. When it is sunny objects have an aura around them. I should’ve taken them back but thought I might just need to get used to them, and I left it too long to take them back.I think the problem has reduced somewhat over time, but it’s still there. They weren’t cheap either.

The cockerpoo you met sounds adorable Viktoria. Another example to support my daughter’s theory that poodle crosses are naughty ….. though I think excitable or ditzy might be better words. Years ago my daughter had a friend who got a cockerpoo puppy - oh my, it was a heart melter. Gorgeous little thing.

Such a shame to hear that your friend M isn’t doing too well Caroline. Let’s hope for some good news from J. She must be feeling better if she feels confident to tackle driving after such a long break. Good for her.

Dog sitting for me on Wednesday. News of a few cases of covid in Melbourne, the Indian variant and related to a few cases from about a month ago. It seems someone in hotel quarantine caught it from someone else in hotel quarantine before testing negative, being allowed home, then testing positive.  ::) That outbreak didn’t ,seem to have spread far into the community at the time, but after all those weeks have passed, it reappears. What happened in between then and now, who knows - it was probably silently spreading under the radar.

Blood moon tonight. It’s always exciting to see some planetary action. It wasn’t as red or as big as I was expecting though.  :)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 May 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
All that housework Caroline, I'm feeling exhausted just thinking of it! Must have felt very satisfying when it was all done. Your friend J has been brave driving after all that time, well done to her. Hope your friend M can soon get home, away from the hospital food. It does seem to vary enormously between different hospitals.

Very confusing messages for your area Viktoria, not surprising that you're unsure about what's happening. Much better weather forecast for the bank holiday weekend, just mind you don't frighten it away with that parasol!

The glasses are fine thanks Ruskie, I got two different styles, one for reading and the other for driving. Trouble is they're both in the same style and colour of case! Have put the driving ones in a drawer till I want them.
Your glasses sound really strange, how frustrating to pay a lot for something that doesn't work properly. I ordered my reading glasses with lenses that darken in the sun, hadn't been able to test them as there was no sun. It's just come out now so I've been outside to test them, they seem fine.

Hope the Covid outbreak is contained within the area, still a worry as to the potential spread.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales